The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Closed Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

I bought a guitar from the Music Emporium, a Gibson Murphy Lab (not the les paul in my other post). The process of buying it was smooth, the exchange pleasant. But unfortunately I have to share a negative experience with this group.

Instead of the Grover Rotomatics which are stock on this model, the guitar came with kluson styled waffleback tuners. When I saw the listing online I assumed this was a custom spec guitar since there were no modifications or damage disclosed, but in person it was evident that the installation was far from professional. Signs of a hasty, careless job were everywhere: stripped screws, a crooked tuner. This was not what I had paid for, not what I had expected.

Dealer alert The Music Emporium-img_9975-jpgDealer alert The Music Emporium-img_9971-jpgDealer alert The Music Emporium-img_9974-jpgDealer alert The Music Emporium-img_9972-jpg

I called the dealer, hoping for an understanding resolution. I initially proposed splitting the shipping costs even though I shouldn't have to suffer any financial costs here. To my disappointment, I was met with a series of excuses and rationalizations. The dealer attempted to convince me that the guitar may have been a Gibson custom order with no data to support this. They also insinuated that the poor-quality installation was something Gibson was known for - a blatantly unfair statement. I asked the dealer to look into it and they told me that they would look into it.

Since the dealer told me the next day that they still hadn't heard from Gibson, I called Gibson directly. Within a few brief minutes, it was confirmed - the guitar was definitively not a custom order. I couldn't help but wonder why the dealer had taken so long to provide this information, or if they had really contacted Gibson at all.

After forwarding an official statement from Gibson to the dealer, I was then offered a refund of $150. Given the circumstances, that seemed like adding insult to injury, and I declined the offer. The modification to install the replacement tuners required drilling new, misaligned holes, and it also meant that the holes from the original tuners no longer fit properly, an alteration that can't be reversed, thereby resulting in a depreciation of the instrument's value. Instead, I asked for a full refund, shipping inclusive, and insisted on having an insured label for returning the guitar.

Another day went by without hearing from the dealer, so I reached out to my bank and initiated a chargeback process. They quickly assured me that my refund was guaranteed, and that the dealer would have to provide a return label.

Just when I thought it was all settling down, an unexpected email arrived from the shop owner. He wanted to discuss this matter over a phone call. Not wanting to lose any accountability, I requested we stick to email communication. I honestly expressed my concerns regarding their team's handling of the situation, which unfortunately, was met with an unprofessional response accusing me as the source of controversy.

This experience, from the moment of unboxing the guitar to the unending conversation with the dealer and the shop owner, has been beyond stressful. Not only did it drain my excitement for a new instrument, but it took a valuable amount of time and energy. At the end of it all, I decided never to transact with this particular dealer again. It was vital for me to share this experience as a warning to others.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I'll just add this note: even though there was a lot of frustration dealing with this shop's antics, I did not have anxiety about whether or not I'd get my money back. This is because I paid with my credit card and consumer protection policies on all major US credit cards ensure customers are owed a refund on items that are not delivered as described. I also think other forum members should be aware of this. Having this in your back pocket allows you to keep cool in negotiations with the dealer. There's no reason ever to let things get too heated or disrespectful or out of hand in any matter. Be intelligent upfront and make sure you document things thoroughly. Then when you have disagreements with shady dealers, you have all the leverage.

That's too bad. I've always known them to be more than honest, honorable and willing to go out of the way to make sure I was happy.
    Maybe things have changed there. I'm sorry that happened. I hope you find what you're looking for.
    I'll be careful before I do any business with them.
    Thanks for the alert

User Info Menu

Based on those pictures alone this should be a "no further explanations needed" apologetic return on their dime. Those screws. What the hell.
    I'm not naive, but it's still disappointing when the reality hits home that a good chunk of the population just doesn't give a sh*t. ME is a high end, generally well regarded shop. They should know better.

User Info Menu

Are these the jerks from Mass.?

User Info Menu

Not surprised at all if this is the one in massachusetts.They are just a nasty bunch and from my own experience i would never buy from them.Sorry you had to go through this.

User Info Menu

Ouch, it looks like someone decided to install the wafflebacks w out pilot holes, no wonder the heads are stripped out. At first glance I thought they used Robertson screws! I'm kinda surprised they didn't try to pass it off as part of the relicing process.
    I don't think I'd even have gotten as far as playing it or taking the cool pics, it woulda went right back in the case.
    Next.....

Yes it’s the shop in Massachusetts. Sad to see my experience is not unique but glad that others can confirm these words of warning.

User Info Menu

I'm sorry you had this experience with them, omphalopsychos.

I, too, had a similar experience with them a couple of years ago during a trade transaction.

User Info Menu

>>They also insinuated that the poor-quality installation was something Gibson was known for - a blatantly unfair statement. I asked the dealer to look into it and they told me that they would look into it.<<

What? This is a rather pathetic attempt at lying. Ha! That is a grossly false statement.
    I have 4 Gibson guitars here, and have owned 30 more.....And I have NEVER seen a stripped screw,
    on any of them, any where.
    And, rather than simply accept return they argued with you?

OK, thanks for the warning.

User Info Menu

That's a horrible story, omphalopsychos. Very disappointing to hear the way you were treated. I have to say I'm somewhat surprised given their reputation. They've been in business for over 50 years and get enthusiastic reviews/comments on TGP, AGF and other forums. Still, I think that anyone choosing to do business with these guys should exercise caution and insist on verification of any claims they make. Also, be careful visiting their website - there's a buttload of incredible acoustic and electric guitars for sale.

User Info Menu

As the Bible says : A good name is worth more than diamonds and rubies.

Once you get a bad name it is darn hard to turn that around.
    Sadly guitar buying has become totally internet based which involves big risks. The shipping alone is a huge risk.

User Info Menu

Thanks for letting us know, and sorry you had to experience that.

I've had mixed results buying and selling through TME, but I think I'll find another way to sell the approximately $18k in guitars I was going to consign in the spring.

User Info Menu

Thanks for taking the trouble to flag this in a way that shows it's about specifics. Certainly won't do business with them.

User Info Menu

Wow, thanks for the heads up. What a shit show that place must be. Living up to the Masshole stereotype to boot.

Never seen a stripped screw on a factory Gibson, ever. I've never seen a screw on any Gibson that someone stripped that bad. Seen plenty of crooked tuners though.

I was complaining about a million dollar Ribbecke on Reverb having some cockeyed tuners and was mostly shut down here for it and told I was seeing things. Not bragging but I have a good eye for making wooden and metal things come out straight. I'm not that picky, I have a great budget japanese player with a couple mildly crooked inlays that I decided to accept but cockeyed tuners on a premium guitar is one thing I can't abide. It says to me "zero attention to detail".

Glad you are sticking it to the music emporium Juan. Maybe they'll clean up their act. Too late for me though!

User Info Menu

As a carpenter, working as one for a living, IF I DID THAT KIND OF WORK, I'd be fired , probably on the spot.
    There is NO excuse for that workmanship, even on a budget guitar!

User Info Menu

Hey, Masshole here. Don’t besmirch the entire commonwealth cause of one merchant’s shenanigans.

Sorry about such a negative experience. That’s the last local-to-me shop that remained worth a visit to. Notsomuch anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

After reading the now-locked thread on TGP, I'm confused. Here's a picture of your guitar from TME website (via a link you provided):

Dealer alert The Music Emporium-es23259-15_1800x1800-jpg-jpeg

Maybe it's the angle, or the lighting or something, but in this picture the relic/damage doesn't look quite as bad as it does in the op.

User Info Menu

This is Joe Caruso, owner of The Music Emporium. I thought I'd step in here and temper some of the fun you seem to be having at my business' expense.

The guitar in question passed though at least 4 experts' hands prior to finding its new, unwelcome home. The gentleman who sold it to us is a longtime customer, savvy businessman, consummate guitar collector, with a keen eye for bad deals. He never noticed the replaced tuners. My sales team who evaluated the guitar prior to purchase--they never noticed the tuners. My repair staff, who prepared the guitar for resale, never noticed anything amiss. And my photographer and photo editor: again, no mention. And lastly, our customer who purchased it, with ample opportunity to evaluate the web photos and contact us with any concerns or questions prior to purchase, and then several days upon receipt of the guitar, to further evaluate it. He never brought it to our attention, until 3 weeks after delivery.

I have no qualms with taking accountability for mistakes. My staff go to extra lengths when working with dissatisfied customers to find equitable solutions for whatever grievances they present. This instance was no exception. As far as I knew, the matter was resolved well before the initial post on this forum, when I offered to send a return label and issue a complete refund.

I'm not sure what this "Alert" is designed to do other than to foment hate and engender more distrust in the often anxiety-provoking dealer-customer dynamic, where someone is going to win and someone is going to lose. That is old school and it's the thing I've spent 30 years trying to undo; by encouraging anyone looking to purchase a guitar, new or pre-owned, to pick up the phone, stop in the store, get to know your dealer, ask questions, authentically engage with the seller, and build a relationship. I have no concerns with the legitimacy and solid reputation of my business, nor with the integrity of my sales team, and we will continue to do what we have loved doing for over 55 years; share our love of music and the instruments that help make it with like-minded music enthusiasts.
    Last edited by guitjoe; 03-09-2024 at 02:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    As the Bible says : A good name is worth more than diamonds and rubies.

Once you get a bad name it is darn hard to turn that around.
    +1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzshrink
    After reading the now-locked thread on TGP, I'm confused. Here's a picture of your guitar from TME website (via a link you provided):

Dealer alert The Music Emporium-es23259-15_1800x1800-jpg-jpeg

Maybe it's the angle, or the lighting or something, but in this picture the relic/damage doesn't look quite as bad as it does in the op.
    Still looks messed up to me: Misalignment , unfilled holes, and stripped screw heads.

User Info Menu

It seems the intent of this post is to warn people about doing business with TME Boston - because of a lack of disclosure. I’ve also noticed the OP quickly removing the link to the Gear Page , that he recently posted to support his claim/ integrity.

So, with that said here is the link to the Gear Page - and while it may be an interesting read- I urge you pay particular attention to post #39 - where the timeline of events are chronicled by Elliot from TME.

While no dealer is perfect - TME Boston has a 5 star review rating (google) and using this platform or any other forum to disparage / discredit a reputable retail business that supports our musical interests - should be done with great caution.

In the end TME Boston is taking full responsibility - even LONG after the return policies were exceeded.

Experience with The Music Emporium (Boston MA) | The Gear Page

Last edited by QAman; 03-09-2024 at 09:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    It seems the intent of this post is to warn people about doing business with TME Boston - because of a lack of disclosure. I’ve also noticed the OP quickly removing the link to the Gear Page , that he recently posted to support his claim/ integrity.

So, with that said here is the link to the Gear Page - and while it may be an interesting read- I urge you pay particular attention to post #39 - where the timeline of events are chronicled by Elliot from TME.

While no dealer is perfect - TME Boston has a 5 star review rating (yahoo) and using this platform or any other forum to disparage / discredit a reputable retail business that supports our musical interests - should be done with great caution.

In the end TME Boston is taking full responsibility - even LONG after the return policies were exceeded.

Experience with The Music Emporium (Boston MA) | The Gear Page

I’m going to respectfully disagree with you somewhat on this one, Steve. I read through the TGP thread and even with some editing done by the salesman. His explanation still came across as having a clear element of blame shifting and somewhat disingenuous to me. While I believe caveat emptor is a good rule for buyers to follow, I personally don’t expect a buyer to know more about guitars I’m selling than I do. If they do, that’s awesome. Maybe they can teach ME something. I think the post should have been more apologetic and less defensive. That’s my read and others may see it differently.

Also, as a truly small guitar business owner, I see trying to pass TME off as small strikes me as pretty funny. I would immediately offer a return at my expense as an option for any mistake I made. As experienced shippers, they should be able to offer that at minimal expense to themselves. It’s a cross country trip, sure, but I can get an ES-355 from the east coast to the west coast for very little compared to the hassle dealing with maintaining my reputation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I’m going to respectfully disagree with you somewhat on this one, Steve. I read through the TGP thread and even with some editing done by the salesman. His explanation still came across as having a clear element of blame shifting and somewhat disingenuous to me. While I believe caveat emptor is a good rule for buyers to follow, I personally don’t expect a buyer to know more about guitars I’m selling than I do. If they do, that’s awesome. Maybe they can teach ME something. I think the post should have been more apologetic and less defensive. That’s my read and others may see it differently.

Also, as a truly small guitar business owner, I see trying to pass TME off as small strikes me as pretty funny. I would immediately offer a return at my expense as an option for any mistake I made. As experienced shippers, they should be able to offer that at minimal expense to themselves. It’s a cross country trip, sure, but I can get an ES-355 from the east coast to the west coast for very little compared to the hassle dealing with maintaining my reputation.

Chuck - as always you are a gentlemen, and I value your judgement. I think we are witnessing frustrations on both sides, and from TME perspective , 3 instances of returns can be quite frustrating and expensive for a dealer.

User Info Menu

Seems like, with the history of returns and conflict, TME might consider exercising its right to, how do businesses say it? "Refuse service to any customer at our discretion." The OP also might think about not doing any more business with TME. Seems like this is not a good working relationship.