The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello:

I modify amps and start building really odd ones. Some are more like working sculptures than rugged, roadworthy things. Some never get finished, and some never get a proper cabinet. I might just cannibalize a solid state amp, rip the guts out of it and replace with a tube/valve chassis. OR use a film projector cabinet with a speaker (tossed the solid state amp). I don't really care what the speaker is, at the start. Bad idea, I'm sure, but any speaker is better for tone than a power resistor.

I started thinking I would never build a manouche guitar as I imagined and bought one recently. I also decided I would never build a 1x12 combo and never, NEVER build a 2x12 combo.

I briefly chased a new-in-box Vox-Bruno TB35C2 at a nice price but a 4-hour drive away (pickup only). I sent an inquiry, and it immediately changed to 'item no longer available' with no reply.

I then found a used-excellent one too far away to contemplate driving, and rationalized my time and discomfort was worth the shipping cost vs. driving 27 hours round-trip (no metric conversion required in time domain!).

It arrived yesterday, weighing 2/3 of my body weight, and I SOMEHOW got it unpacked myself. I powered it up to listen to the hum level, and then puzzle over the noises made by the reverb feature. I should plug an instrument in tonight, but became distracted by the prospect of troubleshooting the noise (I am the amp tech in my house). I think one is supposed to listen to the amp with music coming out of it, not the background noise from 30 cm away.

I found no posts here about Vox, and all the posts about Bruno are of the Jimmy variety, which is a good thing in itself.

The amp is described as Vox with an American accent, but others say that is way too confining. One person elsewhere said it has a lot of clean headroom & would make a great jazz amp. I still find acoustic instruments intimidating in their volume (!) so I don't expect to scare my dogs with the amp for a while.

Any opinions on this amp with 'civilized' music or how common 'gastric noise' is with reverb-equipped amps are appreciated. I have never owned a spring reverb amp in the past.

Thank you

Murray

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I hung with Jimmy in New York, he was in my wedding party.

User Info Menu

Jimmy is great.

I have learned two important things from listening to him.

1) Don't talk to him about stuff like learning Donna Lee in chord melody style.
    2) Don't piss him off. He's pretty pleasant when he's happy.
    :O)