The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Does Stringjoy play down a gauge like Thomastik do with 12's feeling more like 11's?Been wanting to try the Stringjoy since Thomastik prices went up but i have to say i'm very happy with the Newtone strings i have been using in both there sound and feel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nyc chaz
    Does Stringjoy play down a gauge like Thomastik do with 12's feeling more like 11's?Been wanting to try the Stringjoy since Thomastik prices went up but i have to say i'm very happy with the Newtone strings i have been using in both there sound and feel.
    I don’t think so. These feel no different tension wise than the same gauge Pyramids I had on before. For me the win is better intonation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    I don’t think so. These feel no different tension wise than the same gauge Pyramids I had on before. For me the win is better intonation.
    I agree.

User Info Menu

They are a bit brighter than the pyramids with more tension was my take. Your video supports that as memory serves. Tried them, liked. them, didn't love them. It takes time to make that call.

User Info Menu

I’ve been using them on mandolin and just put on my second set. They do “feel” of higher quality even when just handling prior to installing. Initially I did seem to notice some nice overtones though that could have been just the nature of a new string set. They also don’t have as much of that new string “zingy” timbre.

So the jury is still out whether they are better than my usual D’Addario set though I have no complaints. I need to play this set and then go back to my usual set to really figure what’s going on.

I do have one complaint actually; the bulky box Stringjoys come in.

User Info Menu

Here’s how they’re sounding after about 6 days in.