The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Here's a quick and dirty take that I just did with the Mustang and the Art Pre. The exact same setup as with the Gosling. No changes, no edits, no playing with settings, just hit record, play and post. I think this has good potential.

I like the tone you're getting with the Mustang a lot Jim. Beautifully round. Richer. At least on these examples, I prefer it to the Gosling. I dig your keep it simple recording approach!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I also definitely prefer the recording with the Mustang + Art. It's rich and very pleasant without being heavy to listen to, as happens if there are too many harmonics. The almost absence of compression should also allow for a wide expressive dynamic (meaning "dynamic" in the musical sense, i.e. the possibility of rendering a wide range of volumes).

User Info Menu

I've been using my TASCAM DR-40x as a preamp and DAI for recording my guitar (mic'ed or direct) most often since I got it. My ART MP sits on the desk under one of the monitors, but the easiest thing to do to record when I practice is just to put the TASCAM in front of the Toob or Hneriksen on a tiny tripod with its onboard cardioids pointed at the speaker in use. The angulation of the mics is adjustable from crossed to divergent at 90 degrees, so it works well. But this thread motivated me to stick the ART back in the chain as preamp and run it into the TASCAM (XLR to XLR) as the DAI.

I still love the ART 29 years after I bought it! Here's a track from this morning's practice (also posted in the Practical Standards thread on the Songs forum, since this happens to be the PS song of the month). This is just my Eastman 810CE7 (floating KA, JS113s + 0.075 Chrome 7th, Dunlop 204 pick) into the ART into the TASCAM XLR to XLR, captured in Audacity:

ART MP!

Can I borrow some ears again?-try_it_youll_like_it-jpg
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 03-08-2024 at 02:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    I did not want to insult you and you did not answer my question: Are you sending the same amount of signal to those hard left and right channels? If you do so the signal remains mono. If you send different amounts to the left and right it gets panned which has an effect if the reverb has a true stereo input.
    Thanks for the nudge. I'm working on it now.