The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Howdy friends,
    I have two metronomes,but they're just not loud enough.
    Does anyone know of an electronic metronome brand with a line out facility,so I can plug it into an amp,so I can hear it as I play (and i don't play very loudly,just a wee bit deaf :-( ) .
    My electronic job has an earphone socket ,but when I plug in to the amp,a full on screech comes out .This is with a guitar lead and also with a two wire speaker lead.
    Thanks all ...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you use a metronome app with a bluetooth speaker, it will be very loud.

User Info Menu

Hi Scout,

if you are already trying connect one of your metronomes (is that what you call "My electronic job has an earphone socket ?") to the amp and you get a hissing noise, then I suggest that something's wrong with your cables. A good metronome will have a headphone out socket which you should be able to quite easily connect to any amp input with the right cables. Check the cables and connections.

Here are 2 great electronic metronomes if you are intent on getting something new, both have a headphone out connector.
    - TM-60 - COMBO TUNER METRONOME | KORG (USA)
    - BOSS - DB-30 | Dr. Beat

These days I just a free app on my iPhone and it's actually quite loud, that piercing peep I get is quite usable for low-med volume played at home on your own.

If you still have issues, provide some more info, which metronomes, which amp, cables, etcc..
    Cheers, also from the East Coast...

User Info Menu

Thanks Bloo,
    The two cables look OK...one,a shielded guitar lead and the other a two wire ( + and -) speaker cable.One thing I wondered was if the metronome was acting as some sort of pre-amp and distorting the signal ? Don't know really.Next I'm going to try a cable from the metronome,straight into a speaker box .. and see what happens.

User Info Menu

Hi scout,
    I am curious to see what metronome, cables and amp you have. I am using a Quilter ToneBlock202, solid state, and connect pretty much anything to it, laptop, phone, pedals, Line6 HX Stomp, etc. Cables are the usual guitar cables and UGreen adapters/audio cables, never really had an issue.
    If the metronome has an audio/headphone out, the volume will usually be controllable through the volume pot/slider, and getting 'a full screech sound' indicates a cable problem (in my opinion).
    Happy to help out to investigate....
    Cheers, Paul

User Info Menu

Cheers Paul,
    Well .. seems as though the amp was the problem, for some unknown reason .
    I was plugging the metronome,(an old one, a Quiktime quartz) into a Behringer 15watt Ultracoustic AT108 and with both leads came the screach/static.
    So I plugged it into a small vocal amp ,a Vonyx 205B .. and ..no static and plenty of volume and control over the tone of the metronome sound...I don't understand why,but I'll claim a win.
    I'm not playing loud.I use an Epiphone Emperor archtop through a vintage Fisonic 12 watt tube amp and play the chords to 1930's Jazz standards... I'm happy that I can now hear the 'click' ..
    Thanks mate .. Charlie.

User Info Menu

Hi Charlie,
    great to hear you got it sorted, well done. Some interesting gear you have there :-)
    I looked up the Behringer Ultracoustic AT108, it has an instrument, CD/Aux and microphone inputs. I thought that either the instrument or CD inputs would have worked with the metronome but it seems that there is an issue with them.
    Your Fi-Sonic amp must be quite a treasure, Phil Dreoni made them here in Marrickville (around the corner from me) between 1959 and 1969. Never heard one of these. I bet it sounds great with your archtop, a real vintage jazz sound. Enjoy your playing.
    If you are up to speed with mobile phones and apps, I can recommend the iReal Pro app (iReal Pro - Practice Made Perfect) , it's free and you get 1000s of free jazz backing tracks from their forum. Absolutely brilliant product.
    All the best, Paul

User Info Menu

thanks mate ... I'll write again tomorrow about the Fisonics ... Granddad duties now ..

User Info Menu

Yes,it was good to get a result with the metronome,plenty of volume now.
    I have two Fisonics,nice little amps.One I've had one for about 50 years.The original Rola speaker was sadly buggered ,so it now has a Celestion Greenback..I'll find an original Rola one day.The other one was just the head and I made a nice plywood cab for it ,also fitted with a Celestion.
    Thanks for Phil Dreoni info Paul.He lives in Port Macquarie now (hopefully still with us) and a year or so ago he was selling a 40 watt Solid State Fisonic.I would have loved to buy it but as I don't gig anymore and was a wee bit short of the folding stuff,I passed .. an opportunity lost,but never mind.
    No,I don't do the mobile phone thingo (hate the bloody things actually) even though they're pretty versatile.I looked into ireal pro a while back,but they didn't have a setting for the home computer.
    That's about for now mate,nice to chat with you .. Charlie .

User Info Menu

Thanks Charlie, same here, nice chatting with you. If you are happen to be in Sydney at some stage, let me know and we'll share some more jazz guitar info...

User Info Menu

Cheers mate ... .