The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 62 of 62

User Info Menu

I just donated 2 Teles to my high school for an auction this weekend--hope to bring in $500-1000 total. Used GFS parts for one of them, cost ~$250. Easy build, and very nice results.

Next year I am planning on making at least 1 Strat with GFS parts. In blue, of course, the school's color.

I could do an LP too, I guess...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Some Lester's are really beautiful with their curves and figured woods. The OP's new one is certainly in that camp. And they sound good with that thick electric fullness we've all come to appreciate. But for me, not so much. I prefer the attack you get from an archtop with at least .012's. Probably because I'm not so skilled at such a light touch especially at volume. Then there's that dry decay that seems only archtops do. And the difference between the notes. By that I mean a fifth fret A has a different ring to it than a seventh fret A on an archtop. Not so pronounced on an LP and further lessened as lighter strings are applied. Finally.. LP's are heavy. Arguably, the best ones. I have a 73'ish black custom. Sounds great but I'll be noticing my back the next day if I play it standing for any length of time. Standing being necessary because an LP doesn't fit on your knee when seated so you either carry the weight, or scrunch over to accommodate the guitar. Still.. when you want a guitar to sing, LP is your ride.

User Info Menu

Yes, I prefer my ES175 (59 reissue single pickup) to the Les Paul. But I love the sustain
    of the Les Paul. I love the size, and play mine sitting every day. I've never found it as uncomfortable.

Still ES-175 is the best for me!

User Info Menu

Didn’t Jim Hall use a 54 Custom LP with the staple pick up in the neck before he got his 175?
    Last edited by Ob Com; 03-10-2024 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Spelling

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    OK but that's not the point of this thread. This is.

Attachment 109396
    I really don't see how you can blame me for *that*!

(Or did I do it too loudly when I though one could just as well get one a "real e-guitar" instead of exquisite carved archtops if you're only ever going to play those through an amp )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ob Com
    Didn’t Jim Hall use a 54 Custom LP with the staple pick up in the neck before he got his 175?

User Info Menu

There a pretty hot country-ish jazz guitarist who uses a LP Custom, but at the moment I can't recall his name. I know he has a lot of video coverage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    There a pretty hot country-ish jazz guitarist who uses a LP Custom, but at the moment I can't recall his name. I know he has a lot of video coverage.
    Danny Gatton did for quite a while (e.g., during the Redneck Jazz Explosion era).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    That sounds like Clint Strong. He makes a Lester sound great to be sure.....

User Info Menu

in case anyone missed it, sadly Strong recently had a stroke and can no longer play
    but this is a good example of him on a Paul

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    in case anyone missed it, sadly Strong recently had a stroke and can no longer play
    but this is a good example of him on a Paul

Oh man that is sad news. He is absolutely one of my favorite players.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    That sounds like Clint Strong. He makes a Lester sound great to be sure.....
    Yes, that's who I was thinking of.