The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

From reading about it, I have the impression that the Bud is voiced something like a powered speaker. At least, with the tweeter turned off and the EQ flat. It still seems to me that it would be worth comparing it to a quality lightweight powered speaker (I recounted my experiments ad nauseum in other threads). If anyone has had a chance to do that please post!

The Bud is a little different. Since it's a single channel, there's no issue of using it for voice and guitar at the same time. Well, you'd need a mixer. So, the EQ bands seem more focused on guitar.

And then, OTOH, voice and guitar have just about the same frequency range, with fundamentals topping out around 2600 hz. So, beyond that, it's shimmer and presence, factors which I have read top out around 8khz. Apparently, what sounds good up there for voice may not sound so good on guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    Asking 10 players you'll hear 11 different opinions - all subjective. I can get great tones out of pretty much all pro-level amps but none work "perfectly" in every situation and/or at different volume levels.
    The compromise that the BUD6 (or the Blu for that matter) offers in terms of size, weight, tone, flexibility and ease of use beats all other amps in my arsenal. Subjective opinion :
    to my ears the amp does not sound HiFi or PA-like (bright switch/tweeter not engaged). I get great results with my Tele (normal and down-tuned), my archtops and my nylonstring/classical guitar.
    If I want a different color I use either an outboard EQ pedal, my HELIX Stomp or the "Polytone-in-a-pedal" pedal that many on this forum also have. I'm not a purist when it comes to
    these things and use whatever sounds good and works, does the job. My experience with small-ish Fender-type amps have been mixed : they sound either too scooped, fart out when
    I pick a little harder on the bass strings, the open back design lowers the feedback threshold on many stages and the ones that do sound great on stage are too big and heavy ....
    YMMV
    100% Agree with everything said here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    From reading about it, I have the impression that the Bud is voiced something like a powered speaker. At least, with the tweeter turned off and the EQ flat. It still seems to me that it would be worth comparing it to a quality lightweight powered speaker (I recounted my experiments ad nauseum in other threads). If anyone has had a chance to do that please post!

The Bud is a little different. Since it's a single channel, there's no issue of using it for voice and guitar at the same time. Well, you'd need a mixer. So, the EQ bands seem more focused on guitar.

And then, OTOH, voice and guitar have just about the same frequency range, with fundamentals topping out around 2600 hz. So, beyond that, it's shimmer and presence, factors which I have read top out around 8khz. Apparently, what sounds good up there for voice may not sound so good on guitar.
    I sometimes use a small 6“ ALTO powered monitor (150 watt?) together with my Helix Stomp with good results. It did take me some time to dial everything in and to get to know the various important frequencies but that is always time well spent. The Alto also serves as the second stereo speaker in combination with the BUD. Works.

User Info Menu

I have used my Bud 6 and my Blu 6 with my three Strats, my three Les Pauls and a Telecaster (that is now gone) on solo gigs. I keep the EQ knobs all at 12 O clock and I add a little bit of reverb. I use DR Pure Blues 10's on my solid body guitars. I get a good jazz tone with all of the guitars. I do use a wedge with the amps. There is no doubt that the tone is a Polytone type of mid-heavy sound. I like that sound. If I was into the Fender Blackface sound (I prefer the Mesa and Fender Tweed/Brownface sound in a tube amp, as I like the mids), I would probably cut the mids on the Henriksens or use a pedal. Lucky for me, I like it just the way it is.