The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

No, it's not some new kind of sex change.

I noticed a recent full-body Eastman archtop with S holes instead of F holes. I wonder if more archtop models will have them(?)

Last edited by Woody Sound; 03-03-2024 at 07:49 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Same as in their Romeo thinline archtop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    No, it's not some new kind of sex change.

I noticed a recent full-body Eastman archtop with S holes instead of F holes. I wonder if more archtop models with have them(?)

Thats a very attractive guitar...I like the almost flat cutaway too.

User Info Menu

Eastman has also come out with an archtop with torrefied wood this year,looking forward to hear what it sounds like.

User Info Menu

That style sound hole has been in use for a long time, it's not new. Jimmy D'Aquisto used the same style. Here's a photo from a Christie's auction

User Info Menu

“Good artists copy. Great artists steal.”
    -- Variously attributed to Pablo Picasso, Igor Stravinsky and Steve Jobs among others

John D'Angelico Excel, circa 1937:

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Thats a very attractive guitar...I like the almost flat cutaway too.
    Many of the carved Eastman AR-804's, 805's, & 905's have that.

User Info Menu

Several pics on the Eastman site have that new (to them) shape. Seems to be the newer pictures... The torrefied AR905ce @nyc chaz mentioned is an example. A couple or 3 years ago they switched their 805ce and 810ce models from floating pickups to top-mounted; the images for those also have the s-shape. A Reverb search finds a fairly small number like that as well. So yes, maybe they're changing their design.

User Info Menu

Just how stylised does an 'f' has to be to become an 's?

Anyone who's seen a fufficient fhare of old printed texts will have noticed that they ufed "f" and "s" more or less interchangeably ...

Now the real queftion is: do thefe flur more than thofe with propre f-holes?