The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos;[URL="tel:1320656"
    1320656[/URL]]Nice ax! Maybe get a pickguard for it?

If you want to gig with it, you can put a piezo pickup on it. I believe they make some that replace the bridge saddle. This would make it possible to plug in without needing a mic.

Floating pickups don't usually work with these because the fretboard is not elevated so you don't have room for a pickup.

If you don't mind being blasphemous you can add a pickup to these but I don't advise it if you care about originality. Here's a modded one that I bought. The pickup makes it a completely different (but great sound) guitar.

Attachment 109277Attachment 109278Attachment 109279
    what is that pickup ?
    looks great old skool vibes ….

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

...got a pickguard from 1929pickguards otw and did a thorough cleaning and polishing on the L-50. She cleaned up real nice and more importantly, adjusts beautifully. I'm sure its been re-fretted bc these have way too much life left and show no signs of indentions even on the cowboy chords. Fretboard is gorgeous and took the oil nicely. So did the bridge which has lots of room to move up and down. Truss-rod felt absolutely perfect when adjusting which really surprised me. I did a vinegar soak and scrub followed by a good oiling on the tuners and they just aren't up to snuff for me so I'm definitely going to swap 'em out before I gig it (we do 4hr sets on occasion, and i'm very bendy and expressive so I'm very picky on tuners). Everything else is extremely stable and sturdy feeling, but there's a bit of middle seem on the top you can just slightly feel that makes me think it may have been reinforced at some point...not quite sure and I'll investigate further. I added a strap button to the heel and then gave the entire finish a coat of Johnson Wax (which I just learned was discontinued; a real shame bc its really good stuff for wood finishes. I'm quickly falling in love with this one. I paid a steep price around $2k, but it was definitely worth it being a '39 in this kind of shape.

User Info Menu

$2k for a vintage Gibson is not what most here would consider a steep price.

Solid carved spruce tops are almost always made from two pieces, with the glue line down the center. Spruce just doesn't grow big enough to permit making a one-piece top. Tops with no center seam are laminates. As long as there is no separation of the joint, I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't think replacing badly worn tuners is a bad thing, but like others I would replace them with vintage style. Newer sealed tuners are heavier, and can result in bad neck dive. I prefer open tuners if I can reasonably get them, but of course cost is an object with most people, including me. There are excellent open tuners available, at a variety of price points. I would also recommend keeping the old tuners in a safe place, because many buyers unreasonably want original everything, even if worn out. If you ever need to sell it, having them available could make a significant difference in the price. Silly, but true.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    $2k for a vintage Gibson is not what most here would consider a steep price.

Solid carved spruce tops are almost always made from two pieces, with the glue line down the center. Spruce just doesn't grow big enough to permit making a one-piece top. Tops with no center seam are laminates. As long as there is no separation of the joint, I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't think replacing badly worn tuners is a bad thing, but like others I would replace them with vintage style. Newer sealed tuners are heavier, and can result in bad neck dive. I prefer open tuners if I can reasonably get them, but of course cost is an object with most people, including me. There are excellent open tuners available, at a variety of price points. I would also recommend keeping the old tuners in a safe place, because many buyers unreasonably want original everything, even if worn out. If you ever need to sell it, having them available could make a significant difference in the price. Silly, but true.

I'm strongly considering open back Waverly tuners. This things worth the money in my opinion. And I def will keep all parts with it. The case has a plastic bag with all previous saved info from previous owners so I plan to keep that going as well. In the truss rod cover the original owners name and date was in it on a small piece if paper. I love stuff like that

User Info Menu

I tend to attach stickers with my name and address to the underside of the top, through the f holes. I get them in the mail all the time, along with donation requests, so I may as well use a few for something. I figure it's remotely possible that I could claim a return of a stolen guitar from that, although it's never been necessary. I also put them inside amps, etc, just for the hell of it.

I added a pickguard from 1929 pickguards and its really nice quality and fits perfect (you do have to drill the guard yourself). I have the Krivo mounted better (still a bit of tacky putty and the guard holds it in place as well. Sounds great and no mods to the guitar itself, perfect.
    N(v)GD - 1941(?) Gibson L-50-20240319_1036111-jpg