The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Sounds like you are on the right track (although I don't consider myself an expert). One thing I've learned from using different pickups is when trying to balance pickup string output to first set the overall height/angle using the screws on each side of the pickup until you are pretty close to how you want it to sound. After that, then fine tune by adjusting the pole pieces.

I've done it the opposite way to some funky and frustrating results. It's only after I played around with tele neck pickups (which have no adjustable pole pieces) did I figure this out to set the overall angle first.

Just my experience, YMMV.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    You can have a nice rig while you improve as a musician.
    There are a lot of benefits to this. If the instrument sounds nice, you're gonna wanna play it more; if you don't like how it sounds, you're gonna play it less. A better instrument is easier to play (I guess I should say, a better set up instrument is easier to play).

The downside is that "better" instruments tend to be more expensive, although there are certainly exceptions to this.

Because I am a cheapskate, I am a fan of free interventions such as raising or lowering the pickups, raising or lowering the string action, adjusting pole pieces, etc. By the way, are you hearing bright janglyness or are you hearing the treble strings slapping into the frets because the action is too low?

User Info Menu

Here's a lady I recently started to follow. Not sure she ranks with here.

I can see how the maple top (which mine doesn't have) contributes to Les Paul sound.

Somehow one of my posts disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by teagueAMX
    Here's a lady I recently started to follow. Not sure she ranks with here.

I can see how the maple top (which mine doesn't have) contributes to Les Paul sound.

Somehow one of my posts disappeared.
    Excellent. I am a newbie to Jazz guitar, using an Epi Les Paul '60s. Roll back the tone and the volume, turn the main up on the amp. Lots of tone there. Roll-off treble until you get the warmth you seek.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone

I currently have an Edwards ES with a Seth in the neck and a 57 in the bridge. The 57 honks better than the Seths so for me it made a better bridge than the Seth that was in there. I can do the BB with it but the 57's are better for it. The Seths are substantially brighter IME.
    They are are brighter. Did you NOT like the Duncan 59 ? I thought it would be very similar to the Gibson 57 classic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PDeville
    They are are brighter. Did you NOT like the Duncan 59 ? I thought it would be very similar to the Gibson 57 classic.
    I thought I would like it but it sounded kind of bland and flat to me. Overly dark for a somewhat already dark LP. The Seth I can actually roll the neck tone control back some a good deal and it's still brighter. Ditto the '57, though the '57 is not as bright as the Seth, but brighter than the 59.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teagueAMX
    I'm new to playing guitars. Just started taking lesions.
    You can have my lesions for free!

Seriously, welcome, all of the above advice is good. Since you are using light strings, try a light attack. One time I had to bring my PRS to a big band rehearsal and several guys, not knowing the irony, said it sounded great. Can you post a pic of your LP?

User Info Menu

I think most Les Pauls are capable of a very nice jazz tone but maybe a LP is not the guitar for you. I'm not suggesting you run out and buy a new guitar but before you put more money into what you have I would go to a music store and compare your guitar to some others. Maybe a hollow body would be more to your liking.