The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I was searching picks with good grip and saw this guy on YT!

His channel is a bit frustrating as you can't add comments and some clips don't have a reveal. His amps are interesting.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

He obviously used to have comments turned on since he says "Let me know in the comments" but he's turned them off. I can't say that I blame him. Some of the comments you get on YouTube can be really vile. I just delete them when they happen but it can be really discouraging to do your best and then face some really disgusting responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    He obviously used to have comments turned on since he says "Let me know in the comments" but he's turned them off. I can't say that I blame him. Some of the comments you get on YouTube can be really vile. I just delete them when they happen but it can be really discouraging to do your best and then face some really disgusting responses.
    Yes it's sad really. It seems a really nice channel with a lot of interesting stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    not just youtube. i still have sad thoughts regarding the 10 page hate thread about me that stayed up for nearly a week...Internet bullying isn't just about 13 year olds...

User Info Menu

I also have a comment about boutique amps though. A couple years ago I bought an aguilar TH500 bass amp that I was using as a power amp for modeling. The amp sizzled, smoked and died a year ago. I went to see about getting it serviced and found out that korg had bought them. I contacted korg support and they gave me a list of repair facilities in the area. I called 4 or 5 of them and not a single one of them would take my amp, siting poor manufacturer support from korg, inability to get parts, etc.

I finally found a company who would repair it but it was going to cost about $400 whereas , I could buy a used one for $500. So it sits in the back of my closet.

This has happened to me with tube amps too.

I won't buy a boutique amp after this and some recent experiences with boutique tube amps with issues that couldn't be diagnosed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I won't buy a boutique amp after this and some recent experiences with boutique tube amps with issues that couldn't be diagnosed.
    You should call Evans Amps if you want a boutique amp from a builder who cares about product quality and customer service.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasguitar
    You should call Evans Amps if you want a boutique amp from a builder who cares about product quality and customer service.
    i'm super happy with the Quilter. As good as Evans amps are, who supports them if they go out of business?

The thing that threw me about the Aguilar is that it's using all standard components. For example, an ICE power module and a standard preamp module (i can't remember the details on the preamp).

But to buy the ICE module myself is $250 and if I replace it and that's not the issue, than I'm really sunk. As good as AI is - and they replaced my amp a couple times - what do you do now?

Fortunately, I love the quilter amps but I personally will only buy non-boutique amps or amps that are priced at a throwaway point.
    Last edited by jzucker; 02-29-2024 at 12:39 PM.

User Info Menu

not just youtube. i still have sad thoughts regarding the 10 page hate thread about me that stayed up for nearly a week...Internet bullying isn't just about 13 year olds...
    True. For such a wonderful technology I often think that the negatives of the internet far outweigh the positives. It was supposedly going to bring us all together and instead it has provided a tool for us to all hate each other.

User Info Menu

i'm super happy with the Quilter. As good as Evans amps are, who supports them if they go out of business.

The thing that threw me about the Aguilar is that it's using all standard components. For example, an ICE power module and a standard preamp module (i can't remember the details on the preamp).

But to buy the ICE module myself is $250 and if I replace it and that's not the issue, than I'm really sunk. As good as AI is - and they replaced my amp a couple times - what do you do now?

Fortunately, I love the quilter amps but I personally will only buy non-boutique amps or amps that are priced at a throwaway point.
    JZ, I am with you. Amps can be more expensive to fix than to replace these days. I am on the Quilter and Henriksen train and have sold my last tube amp in fact. I figure that the amps I have now will probably last as long as I will and what I have is easy to carry, both companies seem to be here to stay and my amplification needs are met.