The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30
    Ok. If I read this correctly, P90 is a style of pickup that was originated by Gibson in the postwar era, but has since been copied & produced by a number of different mfrs.

P-90 - Wikipedia

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Yup, 2 magnets. I can’t say for sure whether those are alnico or ceramic. But my guess is ceramic, for the reasons already stated.
    Hi John,

Every Alnico magnet I've ever encountered has had a shiny, metallic appearance. This isn't too surprising considering what they're composed of.

On the other hand, all of the (unfinished) ceramic magnets I'm familiar with have been a dark gray color, nearly black. But they looked nothing like the mottled / speckled medium-light gray blocks shown in my pics.

So I still don't quite know what's what with these stock Squier pickups, though I'm leaning towards the ceramic type.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WimWalther
    Hi John,

Every Alnico magnet I've ever encountered has had a shiny, metallic appearance. This isn't too surprising considering what they're composed of.

On the other hand, all of the (unfinished) ceramic magnets I'm familiar with have been a dark gray color, nearly black. But they looked nothing like the mottled / speckled medium-light gray blocks shown in my pics.

So I still don't quite know what's what with these stock Squier pickups, though I'm leaning towards the ceramic type.
    Easy enough to figure that out. Step 1: Purchase mass spectrometer ... Seems entirely worthwhile to me.

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Easy enough to figure that out. Step 1: Purchase mass spectrometer ... Seems entirely worthwhile to me.
    A real engineer would just consult the literature. Unfortunately, I'm not able to locate the relevant publication(s).

Though I did come across a catalog page that seems to indicate that the body is alder.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WimWalther
    A real engineer would just consult the literature. Unfortunately, I'm not able to locate the relevant publication(s).

Though I did come across a catalog page that seems to indicate that the body is alder.
    Oh come on, just buy the mass spectrometer. You know you want it.