The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

Floating pickguards...

some designs are inferior and I'm surprised by the fact that certain guitars reached iconic status even though the manufacturer never fixed the pickguard and the user community still struggles. It's a mystery to me.

The purpose of the pickguard is twofold; to protect the top from scratches and to provide support for the picking hand. In some cases the pickguard is also a holder for electronics.

There are three reasons for a floating construction; acoustics (not to interfere with the vibrating top), finish (that the guard itself won't ruin the beautiful finish under it) and ergonomics (support for the picking hand when the guitar got an arched top).

One could argue that it doesn't matter what the finish under the guard looks like, since its hidden by the very pickguard. One could argue that the top is not supposed to vibrate (pertaining to solid bodies and ply tops). And one could argue that there's no need for a scratch plate. In which case one could simply remove the pickguard and the problem is solved. But then again some people think the guitar looks naked without a guard and some players like the finger rest, so they keep it on.

I personally like a pickguard as a finger rest; a firm point of reference for the pinky when I use a pick. Not a critical feature by any means, but nice to have. I totally hate a spongy pickguard that moves under the slightest pressure by my hand, then I rather remove it if I can't make it firm and stable.

The issue at hand is an inferior design of the pickguard support. This is traditionally resolved by the addition of a felt block, just what the OP is asking for. Now what beats me is;

-Why can't the manufacturer fix this age old problem by factory felt prior to shipping? Some of their models got it already, but some very expensive guitars got floating pickguards, flimsy like toys.
    The users are afraid to put anything beneath the guard that in theory could react with the nitro finish. We either remove the guard or we're stuck with the flimsy plastics. Or, like OP, we say enough! and take action.

We've learned to fear gassing and realize that is not just a matter of the material of the supporting soft block, but also what glue is used to fasten the block on the backside of the guard.

For reference; I'm using a slice of a wine cork fastened with cheap household glue on the flimsy pickguard of my expensive iconic guitar. The pickguard is rock solid, cork sniffin' the gas, Yo.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

......In response to the ' Why can't manufacturers improve an obvious inferior design,' etc , I can only add I have owned a few acoustic archtops, and spent the time and money it took to locate them and ' take them home '. Some findings were definitely easier than others.
    And while the design could be improved, not every one I found had that much pickguard flex, so additional support at that area of the p/g wasn't always necessary.

But man, I never walked away from a guitar buy because the p/g needed a support piece, the cost of which is what, a buck-fifty ? And / or I sure can't imagine myself saying ' Yeah that G**son L-7 '50's R/I with the P-90 is ok and I'd buy one, if it only that pickguard were a little more sturdy. '

I can't really think of a cheaper fix, and it's not even necessary all the time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    those might work, but they are very small.... 3/8" diameter. Was hoping to find something more substantial, but thanks for thinking of it, I would not have thought about that as a source!
    I knew a horn repair guy who would go to thrift stores and used clothes stores to look for hats made of thick felt. He could then cut these up to suit whatever application he needed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D

I can't really think of a cheaper fix, and it's not even necessary all the time.
    Right, it's not always necessary, it depends on the guitar model. Old, vintage guitars are what they are. And since people like them to build re-issues "the way they used to", I suppose we'll have to forever accept a crappy pickguard support or just remove the bugger.

-Where's the felt? -What glue is nitro safe?

Man, all the manufacturer has to do is to add a block of felt (and the odd customer who would object, could just remove the little cushion.)

In the meantime a slice of a wine cork (expensive wine of course!) will do the trick. (I picked it up on jazzguitar.be, thanks guys. Great web site )

User Info Menu

People still buy wine with corks in the bottle?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    People still buy wine with corks in the bottle?
    Look at mister fancy over there buying wine that comes in a bottle. I’ll be fine over here sipping on my cardboardeaux.

User Info Menu

I do buy the occasional bottle. But mostly I buy boxes, mostly because I don't like to waste wine. If I open a bottle, it often goes sour before I finish it. I just don't drink that much wine that fast. Boxed wine lasts a very long time, because it doesn't get exposed to oxygen. I'm aware that wine should be allowed to breathe, and aerate (oxygenate) before drinking, but it's just more trouble than I'm willing to put up with.

User Info Menu

Ive been looking for the same felt for years. I cant find it either. I even found some sheet felt from the "felt company" that looked like the thing I needed only to find out that even though I would only have to buy one sheet of it, the 36x36x3/4" piece I'd have to buy is $546.00, plus shipping. I later found USA Industrials has 12 x 12 sheets for $99.00. If my wife didnt kill me for spending this much for the 1/2" x 1/2" x 3/4" piece of felt i actually needed, I probably would have killed myself..
    I've even washed every white towel I own (which are many..) and collected the lint from the dryer screen and stuffed it into a Soda bottle, filling it with water, shook it up and then poured out the water using the same dryer screen as a"catch". That worked good, but the fibers never quite floculated enough and the pile of lint remained very spongy and it basically fell apart.
    Then, I found what I thought was the perfect thing. Look on Amazon.
    1pc 4" X 1" X 3/8" High Density Real Wool Polishing Buffing Mini Grinding Round Wheel Wool Soft Felt Polisher Disc for Bench Grinder Wool Disc Grinding Shining Wheel Wool Polishing
    I was going to buy this, then it fell off the radar a couple of weeks ago when tragedy struck..

This felt thing has basically driven me crazy.
    I think the wheel I found is exactly what you need. $10.
    JD

User Info Menu

McMaster-Carr may not have the best prices, but they have a lot of obscure industrial items. Good for research if nothing else, but they often don't identify their suppliers. You may not need to know what brand they sell if you find something.

Felt is used for many purposes from textile industry to acoustical treatments. I am surely missing the full scope (used to go in shoes decades ago) but creativity will help you find sources.

Many years ago I got a 8.5"x11" specifier sheet with specs for a dozen or more sample types of felt glued to it. I saved it when we closed the business the samples came to, but I do not know where I saved it. If you can identify an industry that uses something you can probably ask for a sample. It's costs a company less to send a small piece in the mail than to create an invoice, and they probably would have a minimum order way more than you'd need.

Be creative. Improvise. You'll find a source. That's in you already or you wouldn't be reading this forum!

McMaster-Carr

This will give you some vocabulary and ideas about commonly available forms of felt. If the minimum order at McMaster is a deterrent, or they provide insufficient info to identify a manufacturer, go back to Google. Having new search parameters will make it easier to find a manufacturer. If you care how much your time is worth, that will hamper your creativity.

Finding a solution will take longer than implementing it once you have a piece in your hand.

Murray
    Last edited by murrayatuptown; 03-09-2024 at 12:43 AM. Reason: addition

User Info Menu

Thanks, Murray and Max - the McMaster source looked good, but expensive for what I need, but I think Max's polishing wheel buffer is promising, particularly for the money... should be plenty to make mistakes with, as long as I can keep all my fingers.

User Info Menu

I prefer the rectangular hobby knife blades to the triangular for cutting things like this.

I have used them to scrape wood, gently cut softer objects, and hammered the end of the knife handle with a small hammer to shave aluminum, sometimes sacrificing the tool handle.

The adhesive would be the farthest distance from the nitro- finish.

I just put together a guitar stand covered with material suspiciously described as 'velveteen rubber'. Of course I wonder what that is and whether it's safe with nitro finish guitars. Then I think of the The Velveteen Rabbit...pretty sure there is no connection between hide glue & mystery foam.

Someone may already know an answer, but possibly one's favorite (or most responsive) tape/adhesive manufacturer (like 3M, conveniently for me) can advise, what might be least incompatible. The answer might be valid for the lifespan of the adhesive, less than forever.

I have a polyurethane finish guitar that is probably impervious regarding the foam rubber. OR maybe just hopefully. It has a floppy pickguard so I may be revisiting the 'felt solution'.

I hope you keep all your fingers. The number of guitarists in history with fewer than 10 intact digits is surprising, but that should be a deterrent and not inspiration. Vincent Van Guitar never became famous.

User Info Menu

I just finished making a guard for an archtop I just bought. (See my NGD Eastman thread earlier today.)
    (well, a few weeks ago) Eastman AR-610NC

Here's what I did. Bought the felt pad from the hardware store, had to buy a pack of two sheets for ~$5. Cut three pieces about 3/4" x 1/2", sandwiched and stuck them together. I wasn't concerned about cutting them perfectly, it's hidden after all. Then stuck them to the underside of the guard. Works perfectly.

Pickguard Felt?-felt1-jpg
    Pickguard Felt?-felt4-jpg
    Pickguard Felt?-felt3-jpg
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 03-12-2024 at 09:27 PM.

User Info Menu

I applaud Woody Sounds' practical 'just do it' initiative and the results.

Murray

User Info Menu

I wound up buying the felt polishing pad that Max had found (approximately $6.) It's perfect, just need to hack it up, but first need to get the new pick guard ordered. There's enough material in one pad for 10 or more jobs. Thanks for all the input, guys!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    I wound up buying the felt polishing pad that Max had found (approximately $6.) It's perfect, just need to hack it up, but first need to get the new pick guard ordered. There's enough material in one pad for 10 or more jobs. Thanks for all the input, guys!
    Yes! I am glad it worked out for you buddy.
    Joe D