The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Great thread, I really enjoyed reading all of this!

The Clubman 60 caught my eye since I am always on the lookout for small portable amps that are hussle free and sound good, for the low volume jazz jams I do in town. I walk, bike or take a tram to get there, so portability is important to me.

My most successful setups so far are my DIY 5F1 Champ with 10” Jensen P10R and my AER Alpha (sometimes with my Quilter Superblock US in front of it). The AER is the most portable solution, but I like the the sound and feel of the Champ just a little better. They both sound good but are not hussle free because I don’t like the reverb on the AER and the Champ has no reverb at all. So I have to bring either my Quilter Superblock US (because I like it’s reverb!) or my Boss FRV-1 (best sounding spring reverb pedal imho), a 9V AC/DC adapter (using the Quilter in 9V mode also) and a powerstrip with two outlets. I would like a small amp with no other frills to carry.

The Clubman 60 does sound interesting to try out. Good onboard reverb could make or brake the amp for me. Also in the available soundclips on YouTube it does sound a little bright, but perhaps that’s just a matter of rolling the trebles off.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StefanoGhirardo
    Jim, if you can answer easily I've a question about the Vox.
    I really appreciated the quality of your recent direct recording of the Mustang + Art pre. How would a recording in which instead of the Art there is the Clubman 60 line out entering the sound card, without subsequent editing, be comparable to the one you made? Would it be so warm, clean, free of hiss?
    I'm asking you because I'm interested in the possibility of listening directly from the amplifier, with a nice tone and without delays, and, at the same time, recording with a nice warm tone and without hiss...
    Here's a direct line out recording from the Vox. No edits, no added EQ, no compression and whatever reverb you hear is from the amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Here's a direct line out recording from the Vox. No edits, no added EQ, no compression and whatever reverb you hear is from the amp.

Thanks Jim!
    Comparing the two recordings I would say that recording directly with the Pre is better. Sure it would be possible to improve the Vox one by adjusting the tones to suit the recording purpose, but maybe it's not worth it: direct recording is so good and simple...

User Info Menu

Thanks Jim!
    Comparing the two recordings I would say that recording directly with the Pre is better. Sure it would be possible to improve the Vox one by adjusting the tones to suit the recording purpose, but maybe it's not worth it: direct recording is so good and simple...
    Don't judge too quickly. I'll toss my usual suite of eq and compression and you can hear what it sounds like then. I'll probaly be able to get it posted in about an hour.

User Info Menu

Thanks Jim!
    Same recording with my basic suite of plugins. It sounds very different.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Same recording with my basic suite of plugins. It sounds very different.

It is actually much improved: it has a more balanced tone, it is less muddy and also has more spatiality.
    You are too kind Jim, thank you for the time and skill you put into my question!

User Info Menu

It is actually much improved: it has a more balanced tone, it is less muddy and also has more spatiality.
    You are too kind Jim, thank you for the time and skill you put into my question!
    No problem at all. This community has always been very generous to me and I'm happy to be of service.

User Info Menu

Mine arrived 5 days ago. I had a lot of amps, including amps made for jazz, I wont go into detalis, I really had a lot. But this...

I cant put down my guitars till I got this amp. Its sound is highly inspiring, very warm, round, creamy, mellow, tube-ish, and loud! The reverb and chorus are also very good, very enjoyable. I kept only my old japanese Roland Cube 60 orange, and a little ROland GX10 in the music school for teaching, and I am now selling all my other amps. No need anything else... Really...

User Info Menu

which is best ?

vox clubman
    or
    Fender champion 20 ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    which is best ?

vox clubman
    or
    Fender champion 20 ?
    Clubman.