The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Has anyone had any experience with the new "stripped bare" line by D'Angelico, the Tour models?

I'm thinking of getting a DC Tour, a semi-hollow

I was wondering how would it compare next to the Ibanez semi-hollows? Would it be the equivalent of an AS93 artcore expressionist or a more higher-end AS113, JSM10 type of guitar?
    (by the way, I have tried the AS113 and found the sound too thin, although the lutherie is excellent)

They are equipped with new design humbuckers by Supro, AlNiCo II on the neck and V on the bridge...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I haven’t tried one, but I heard a guy play the DC Tour at a blues jam. It sounded really good. I have an EX-DC (the original version, not the Tour version) with Kent Armstrong pickups, and the Tour seemed pretty similar sounding. I can’t imagine the build quality is markedly different, and the tour seems like a lot of guitar for the money. I like the more subdued look of it.

Regarding the pickups, Supro is owned by D’Angelico, so I’m guessing this is just a re-branding of a Korean-made PAF-style pickup. Not a bad thing, just not a detail I’d pay a lot of attention to. If it sounds good, it is good.

Just based on price and where it slots in the product line-ups, the Tour DC is probably intended to be comparable to the AS 93. But I think any of these comparisons come down to preference. Any Ibanez or MIK D’Angelico is a good guitar (the Indonesian-made D’A Premier line struck me as noticeably lower quality).

User Info Menu

Speaking of new D'Angelicos, I'm interested in the new Style B model (with the De Armond rhythm chief pick up).
    Has any of you tried one? Any "hands on" impressions?

Anyway, these two suddenly appeared in a shop a half an hour drive from where I live and I'm definitely going to try the Style B some time next week!

D'Angelico Tour line-dangelico-jpg

User Info Menu

I really liked the Style B arch top when I played it at the DA showroom. I had a George Benson moment with it, and I did not ever get that with my Gibson Johnny Smith. They may have been discontinued though, so if you find one and like it, BUY it. (If they are the same as what I played?) It's hard to keep track of models and #'s with the DA's.

I also had a good good experience with the 335 style Tour model, about a year or more later. If I was looking for a 335 style now, I would definitely look into one of these.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frabarmus
    Speaking of new D'Angelicos, I'm interested in the new Style B model (with the De Armond rhythm chief pick up).
    Has any of you tried one? Any "hands on" impressions?

Anyway, these two suddenly appeared in a shop a half an hour drive from where I live and I'm definitely going to try the Style B some time next week!

D'Angelico Tour line-dangelico-jpg
    Totally agree with you about the style b one.The demo on youtube of it sounded pretty terrific to me and the price is very reasonable.