The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Does anyone have experience with the recent Asian made G&l Bluesboy semi-hollow guitars?

I have seen some, online used for less than $400. Do they make a good Jazz tele platform?

I have had several US made ones and they were terrific. I need something for travel where I wouldn't be afraid to take the neck off when flying.

Thanks,

Charley

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have the solid body version. Got it to try out tele's before I bought a real one. Turns out it's all the tele I need. The neck had a kind of rough stain finish on it, but I played it smooth in a few weeks.

Highly recommended.

User Info Menu

@charleyrich99...I've owned two G&L Bluesboys, one was a semi-hollow, and the other a solid body (Korina). Both were US models, not Tribute.

The semi-hollow was a sweet guitar in every way and capable of a nice jazz tone. The only issue I had with it was its tendency to neck-dive while playing standing up. That is the only reason I sold it.

My solid body Bluesboy has a Seth Lover in the neck and gets a great faux jazz tone by simply rolling back the volume/treble a bit. Best of all there is no neck dive.

Not sure what pickups are in the Tribute models or if the semi hollow's have neck dive, but it is something for you to check out before buying.

Good hunting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I have the solid body version. Got it to try out tele's before I bought a real one. Turns out it's all the tele I need. The neck had a kind of rough stain finish on it, but I played it smooth in a few weeks.

Highly recommended.
    Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, none of the stores near me have them so I am stuck buying it online from Guitar Center. Did you need to do any mods to it to make it playable? Or other than the rough stain was it good to go?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charleyrich99
    Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, none of the stores near me have them so I am stuck buying it online from Guitar Center. Did you need to do any mods to it to make it playable? Or other than the rough stain was it good to go?
    One of the frets was too long and the high e would catch it (I was heavy handed with nerves when I started going to jams, not sure if I would have the problem now). Hit it with my wife's nail file and was good to go. I have GHS Flat 11s on it and the neck is fine.

User Info Menu

I have 2. One I bought 10+ years ago and put in a Gibson 57 humbucker neck pickup. It seems to be the guitar I still go back to. More recently bought another because the first one is getting old and a bit worn. The new one seems to be just as good as the old one. Good workhorse guitars at a fair price. They are pretty light considering. Can’t go wrong.

User Info Menu

Does it take well to putting med guage strings on? (.12)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charleyrich99
    Does it take well to putting med guage strings on? (.12)
    It takes 11's fine. So probably fine with 12s.

User Info Menu

charley rich-try Wolfe Guitars in Jupiter Floriday:

G&L Guitars & Basses | WE SHIP WORLDWIDE!

They have a large selection G&L guitars.

User Info Menu

G&L Tribute guitars are probably one of the best buys around.

User Info Menu

They come standard with a 1 5/8" nut width. Make sure that's not an issue for you.

User Info Menu

My Bluesboy tribute arrived yesterday. After changing strings to D'Adarrio pure nickel 12's and a quick setup it sounds good.

It weighs 6.8lbs. It will need a new nut which will require a trip to my local luthier.

The previous owner put in a Seth Lover but I don't know if they did anything with the pots and wiring. The neck pickup is warm, but the bridge pickup is very thin sounding. I will probably never use it, but I was surprised there wasn't any 60 cycle hum from it.

User Info Menu

I have decided to replace the pots and switch. I orded a wiring harness with push pull pots that will let me use a 500k pot for the neck and 250k for the bridge. The push pull will give me independent volume and tone for each pickup.

User Info Menu

Pictures? What finish is it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Pictures? What finish is it?
    It has a tabaco sunburst finish. Nothing special to look at. It's with the luthier who is replacing the nut and wiring.

User Info Menu

Cool. I have the shark blue one. It’s got a little metallic shimmer to it.