The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: best jazz amp.Old school only please!

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Polytone mini brute II (12” speaker)

10 11.11%
  • Polytone mini brute IV (15” speaker)

9 10.00%
  • Fender twin reverb 65 (tube)

21 23.33%
  • Fender deluxe reverb

9 10.00%
  • Roland jazz chorus 120

2 2.22%
  • Peavey classic

1 1.11%
  • Polytone mega brute (8”)

6 6.67%
  • Polytone baby brute taurus (8”)

1 1.11%
  • Fender vibrolux reverb

4 4.44%
  • Jazzkat tomkat

0 0%
  • Mambo amp

3 3.33%
  • Polytone other models (no reverb, 2x12 etc)

2 2.22%
  • Marshall amps

0 0%
  • ZT amplifiers

1 1.11%
  • DV mark little jazz

5 5.56%
  • DV mark 12”

1 1.11%
  • Fender Princeton reverb

10 11.11%
  • Fender other models

7 7.78%
  • Gibson (old models) EH GA etc etc

11 12.22%
  • Evans amp

1 1.11%
  • Polytone mighty brute

1 1.11%
  • Fender jazz king

1 1.11%
  • Fender super reverb

4 4.44%
  • ampeg (old ones)

7 7.78%
  • other amps

12 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 55 of 55

User Info Menu

Considering that an awful lot of "old-school" jazz guitar tones came through Rudy Van Gelder's Fender tweed Deluxe 5E3, I think that might be the yardstick for great old-school amps for jazz.

They can be boomy with highly acoustically responsive guitars. I had to install a mod in mine to be able to roll the bass down for use with my archtop. And there is definitely a learning curve to the interactive controls between the two channels, using jumpers, etc., which I have never fully mastered even though I've had a 5E3 circuit amp for at least 15 years.

My current favorite jazz guitar tones are Peter Bernstein and Jonathan Kreisberg. I believe both of them favor the Fender Deluxe Reverb; Kreisberg uses a dual amp set up with a Polytone paired with the Fender. I would argue the both of them have an "old-school" vibe to their sounds, although JK certainly mixes it up with using a pedalboard and can be very modern as well as solidly in the tradition.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Considering that an awful lot of "old-school" jazz guitar tones came through Rudy Van Gelder's Fender tweed Deluxe 5E3, I think that might be the yardstick for great old-school amps for jazz.

They can be boomy with highly acoustically responsive guitars. I had to install a mod in mine to be able to roll the bass down for use with my archtop. And there is definitely a learning curve to the interactive controls between the two channels, using jumpers, etc., which I have never fully mastered even though I've had a 5E3 circuit amp for at least 15 years.

My current favorite jazz guitar tones are Peter Bernstein and Jonathan Kreisberg. I believe both of them favor the Fender Deluxe Reverb; Kreisberg uses a dual amp set up with a Polytone paired with the Fender. I would argue the both of them have an "old-school" vibe to their sounds, although JK certainly mixes it up with using a pedalboard and can be very modern as well as solidly in the tradition.
    I think Pete likes a Super Reverb iirc. David B would know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I think Pete likes a Super Reverb iirc. David B would know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vibrolux Reverb, my favorite as well

User Info Menu

I'm with the Fender tweed heads and Vibroverb gang,
    Having started my jazz life in the late 60's and owned an old Twin, I bought this Headstrong hand wired replica '63 Brown tweed from 2B about 6 years ago. Nothing beats it. It's killer. 2 12" Alnico speakers it never leaves the house because its heavy.
    Best Old School Jazz Amplifier-20240302_161422-jpg

User Info Menu

So maybe the Suhr Hombre is a good candidate.