The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Prossi@cozen.com
    Saw the guitar today. Very pretty , one owner. All original but for pick guard and case. Priced right but sounded like it was being strangled. Definitely a dud. Even the seller said it sounded heavy like it had too much finish on it.
    That is sad. You'd want a grand guitar like that to be, well....grand!

It's a gamble to think that it only needs to be played to bring it to life. True sometimes, but.......how much are you willing to gamble on that possibility?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Saw the guitar today. Very pretty , one owner. All original but for pick guard and case. Priced right but sounded like it was being strangled. Definitely a dud. Even the seller said it sounded heavy like it had too much finish on it.
    This may be ridiculously obvious, but you could ask the seller to put a brand new set of strings on it before making a final evaluation. Old strings can sound lifeless. For a guitar in this price range, even a pricey, new set of TIs is not too much to ask.

Also, your comments about the finish seem to indicate that you judged the acoustic tone as "strangled". How did it sound plugged in? Less acoustic resonance could be a good thing (i.e. less feedback) if you mainly play amplified.

Just some ideas ...

SJ

User Info Menu

I have a 77 Norlin CES in blonde. When I bought it, it took about a couple of months before it became "unlocked". Up to today, I believe it has not been played for? years prior to my buying. As if the tonewood had to get used again to vibrations due to it being played.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine

Also, your comments about the finish seem to indicate that you judged the acoustic tone as "strangled". How did it sound plugged in? Less acoustic resonance could be a good thing (i.e. less feedback) if you mainly play amplified.

SJ
    Actually I find CES models to sound best electrically when they sound good/full played acoustically. I have two Gibsons like that which sound superior to others CES guitars that I've played/owned that were on the more muffled side.
    That said I generally prefer CES models to guitars w floaters which can be too lively as you state.
    Last edited by wintermoon; 02-14-2024 at 01:59 AM.

User Info Menu

What I find in my favorite CES examples is that they have the tone of a great acoustic archtop, but obviously much quieter. The other thing that I find in the best ones is that they don’t have a dominant resonant frequency. A lot of them go absolutely crazy when certain notes are played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It had brand new flats. I didn’t play it plugged in as it failed the acoustic test. I usually play acoustically!

User Info Menu

It had brand new flats. I didn’t play it plugged in as it failed the acoustic test. I usually play acoustically!
    So you're buying a CES model to play w out an amp, or....?

User Info Menu

Acoustically ? A CES is the wrong guitar. Buy a L-7, GJS, or LeGrand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Acoustically ? A CES is the wrong guitar. Buy a L-7, GJS, or LeGrand.
    I frequently play CES guitars acoustically as couch guitars when practicing but didnt buy them for that reason.
    But yeah, the right tool for the job, maybe an L-5C

So if a 1973 L5 appears to have a center seam on the back is that some evidence that the back and sides are carved as opposed to plywood? I can’t seem to find definitive start and end dates for the plywood back and sides.

User Info Menu

So if a 1973 L5 appears to have a center seam on the back is that some evidence that the back and sides are carved as opposed to plywood? I can’t seem to find definitive start and end dates for the plywood back and sides.
    That can be a helpful feature, but I wouldn’t count on a center seam alone meaning a carved back. In general, the Florentine cutaway guitars are laminated back and Venetian are not. As with anything Gibson, I wouldn’t expect that to be 100%, but generally that’s the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk