The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 83

User Info Menu

I guess I've got the bug for an acoustic guitar again.

Are there any acoustic archtop options under $1,500?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Eastman for starters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Eastman for starters
    Great choice for sure - but it’d have to be used. I don’t think there are any acoustic archtops in the current Eastman catalog. Their archtops with floaters are very nice acoustically, though. My 810 with floating KA has a beautiful voice.

User Info Menu

Any interest in looking at Gibson made, other branded pre-war guitars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Eastman for starters
    Never is right, no new Eastman acoustics. I keep an eye out for used ones, but nothings come up.

User Info Menu

If you look hard, really hard, and have say an extra $500 you might be able to find a NY made non cutaway Epiphone Triumph
    Last edited by wintermoon; 02-06-2024 at 10:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Any interest in looking at Gibson made, other branded pre-war guitars?

Yeah, If they’re in my budget.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    There are a lot of them out there in the sub-$1500 range, it’s just a matter of finding the right one. There’s a Recording King in Orland Park at Evolution Music that looks a bit rough that is probably a bit overpriced for its current condition and the particular model. For what they are asking, I could do a 1943 Epiphone Blackstone or a 1935 Ambassador M-5 (same as the comparable Recording King). I only have one acoustic archtop under $1500 right now.

User Info Menu

I see good deals on Eastman all the time. Always wanted one of their oval hole models. Too bad they stopped making them.

User Info Menu

You can find and Eastman in that range and really it will allow you to live and breathe without worry. It just depends on if you want something older or newer. Old stuff sounds different generally because like humans we are different at 60 than at 30.
    Last edited by deacon Mark; 02-06-2024 at 11:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    You can find and Eastman in that range and really it will allow you to live and breathe without worry. It just depends on if you want something older or newer. Old stuff sounds different generally because like humans he wound different a 60 than we did at 30.
    Also, Eastmans are generally Benedetto styled guitars and will sound different from Gibson made vintage guitars or vintage Epiphones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Also, Eastmans are generally Benedetto styled guitars and will sound different from Gibson made vintage guitars or vintage Epiphones.

That's true.

User Info Menu

The Loar LH700

User Info Menu

Used Gretsch G400/G400C.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    The Loar LH700
    I'd really like to play a Loar, I'm interested.

58flame Used Gretsch G400/G400C.
    Thanks I'll look at these, I love the Gretsch aesthetic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    You can find and Eastman in that range and really it will allow you to live and breathe without worry. It just depends on if you want something older or newer. Old stuff sounds different generally because like humans we are different at 60 than at 30.
    What I really want is another modern Epiphone Broadway but no pickups, and the acoustic volume of my Eastman AR503. It's got the look, but I can ding it up without worrying.

User Info Menu

I tried a friend's 300 briefly quite a few years ago. Don't remember too much about it but I found it quite hard on the fretting hand. It was quite new and probably set up for him or it may have had the neck set problem.
    I bought my used 700 a couple of years ago from a guy who had it set up nicely apart from the TI bebops which I found too floppy. Ofcourse the 700 has the v profile neck which a lot of people hate but I don't find it an issue. I use Martin Monel 12s which are great strings both acoustic and electric (I have a retro fitted floating mini HB on the guitar).
    I could be imagining it but the sound to me has really opened up since I've had it. It's about 10 years old I think. I believe it's a truly wonderful guitar and was less than half the current price new.

User Info Menu

The LH-600 is about 1700€ MSRP new here so you might be able to find one for 1500€ in the US. The 700 uses higher grade woods but that doesn't mean they all sound better.
    A used one you can try or from a trustworthy source is probably a safer bet because of the known QC issues.
    The (discontinued) LH-650 and 350 have a modern neck and aren't acoustically inferior to their non-cut, non-electrified siblings.

Gretsch still have a New Yorker in their Roots series, but from what I hear it's a rather different animal.

That there's Peerless Monarch ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    I tried a friend's 300 briefly quite a few years ago. Don't remember too much about it but I found it quite hard on the fretting hand. It was quite new and probably set up for him
    Or maybe set up at the factory? My LH-650 also came with high action at the nut that made playing harder than necessary (and several strings intonate noticeably sharp below the 5th fret). Still, it was always easier for the left hand than my Seagull with lower tension strings: no doubt thanks to the 630mm scale length!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Or maybe set up at the factory? My LH-650 also came with high action at the nut that made playing harder than necessary (and several strings intonate noticeably sharp below the 5th fret). Still, it was always easier for the left hand than my Seagull with lower tension strings: no doubt thanks to the 630mm scale length!
    The guy with the 300 didn't keep it very long.
    My seagull flat top has always been easy on the left hand but I had an under saddle piezo fitted and a new saddle and the neck re set. It's perfect now. Was it worth it moneywise? Probably not.

User Info Menu

I don’t know, Alibaba just screams ripoff to me. I’m also hoping to play it before I buy it. I guess I’m learning I’m picky….

User Info Menu

I guess I've got the bug for an acoustic guitar again. Are there any acoustic archtop options under $1,500?
    How about something along these lines for under $1,500?, with a hardshell case. Lovely 16" acoustic archtop guitar. Solid, pressed spruce top. Solid, pressed mahogany back. Solid mahogany rims. Mahogany neck. Brazilian Rosewood fretboard. Dead stock, 1935-1940. Kalamazoo KG-31, made by Gibson.
    Attached Images Attached Images Acoustic Archtop Options-kalamazoo-kg31-jpg Acoustic Archtop Options-kalamazoo-kg31-2-jpg 

User Info Menu

Thanks, that looks nice. I'll keep an eye out for local Kalamazoo's too.

User Info Menu

Thanks I'll look at these, I love the Gretsch aesthetic.

I have a G400C. It's a nice playing, nice sounding instrument.