Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

Thanks mattyy, I was beginning to think it was my ears

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by musicalbodger
    OK guys here's the rub.

I'm getting tired of carting my big Peavey 120 around so, based on the reports I'd read in various places, I bought a Cube 60. What a mistake! (I live a loooooong way from a decent store so I bought it on spec)

If you want to make a couple of really nice sounding guitars sound crap, plug them into a Cube 60. I play an Ibanez AS200 (1983) and a hand made tele type with seymour duncan pups (bridge hot, neck not). Both superbly playable guitars each with their own particular but wonderful sound. Through the Cube60, I might as well be playing a garbage can with strings on.

Seriously, the sound is all fizzle and snap and no depth and etc... it has no depth at all. Probably great if you want to just make a noise and cut through a noisy band, or if your guitar has no tone to begin with, but if you want to play anything with a good tone. Forget it.

Anyone want to buy a cheap 60?

Even tho I have some crappy sound and fizzle and snap and no depth, and that my guitars are garbage cans with strings ...

I like my cube...

BUT, even if I live a loooong way from a decent store, I drive the distance and try things first...

What channels did you try? I play the "jc clean" and judging from the comments I get it's not "that" bad. The "black pannel" and "tweed" channels are not bad either... For jazz kind of sound it's OK for me. I don't use this amp for some other type of music tho...

Anyway, sorry that I live to far from you I'd buy your amp ...
    to each is own like they say...

User Info Menu

Sorry, I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings.

Have you ever played through a Peavey Special 120? For a non-tube amp it's pretty good. The Cube 60 sounds and feels cheap and digital by comparison; as I said, to my ears. If you're happy with it, great, I have no problems with that.

I accept that it's not that bad, but it's not that good either. And I would rather play through an amp that is that good.

As for "driving the distance", have you heard about climate change over there??

I'm glad you like your cube, my pro guitarist friend likes his too and suggested all the things you mention, but, no matter which setting or channel, it doesn't hit the mark for quality of sound. It's just OK, and to me that isn't good enough. Sorry, it's all about standards and mine are quite high. For which I don't apologise.

Maybe this is a quality control issue. Have you played your friend's cube? Does it also snap and fizzle? I've experienced none of that, just smooth, silky sound.

But no, I have never played other high-end amps, and really have little to compare it to. Who knows, maybe after a year or so, it may not please me either. I'm too new at this to feel comfortable recommending equipment, but right now, I like it a lot.

User Info Menu

Finally got my Roland amp...it's not a 30 or a 60...very versatile...amp and PA...all the effects you need...has JC clean...can connect MP3 player for backing tracks...runs in 110 and 220v...and very loud for its small wattage.

if anyone would like to see...

would any of you happen to know how a cube 60 compares to a tech 21 trademark 60?

User Info Menu

think of the trademark 60 as a sans amp that's well...an amp. if you've ever used a sans amp pedal though, you've got the idea. they do a good job at getting various dirty tones, but i like the cleans available on the cube better...the cube's going to have the added effects and stuff, too, which is nice if you like that sort of stuff.

the trademarks are very cool, but the cube's offer even a little more bang for the buck, IMHO.

Not having played electric much until recently, I know little about amps. As mentioned, I've been happy with my new (used) Cube 60. I recently got it set up in a room that allows me to play with more volume than before, (not that I really need to for practice).

Anyway, I'm noticing some rattle in low bass notes if the volume is set above 9. I'm worried that this might be a defect or damage to the speaker, and wondering what my options are. This would be an issue if I needed to use the amp in a performance setting.

User Info Menu

9 like on a clock or 9 like out of 10?

if the former, somethings up. first thing to check would be if the speaker is stock and secured to the cabinet all the way. see if any screws anywhere else are loose and rattling, and look at what the amp is sitting near--you might be getting a sympathetic vibe from a floorboar or something. is the sound clean or does it dirty up like a transistor radio turned up too loud?

if the latter, turn it down, silly!

User Info Menu

I tested a cube in the local music store.
    Damn the clean channel is great but i think that the overdrive sounds are a little bit too digital.
    for the rest greaaaat amp

User Info Menu

It just dawned on me that you can buy a Cube 60 and a MIM Tele for around $1,000 (?). Cheap tone.

User Info Menu

I've just bought a Cube 30x and I'm happy with it. I use it for practice at home, and it's more than adequate for that. I'm new to electric guitars and amps, so I can't compare with anything else.

Now, the salesman told me that, if I play in a band close to a drummer in full flow, the 30x won't cut it. I don't play in a band and don't think I will in the near future, so this isn't much of an issue.

Should the need arise, I'd have to think of a solution, which may be selling the 30x and buy a 60, for instance.

Now, this is a question for tech-heads: if I got my theory right, as in hi-fi, all other things being equal, doubling your amp's power will only get you 3% more volume. To get a significant increase in volume, you have to get more efficient speakers (easier to drive). Is the 60 really much louder than the 30? If it is, maybe it's due to a more efficient speaker?

It is said somewhere else in this site that two 30 sound better than one 60. How do I connect both? Can I control both of them from one of the preamps, or I have to do all the settings twice?

Thank you all in advance for your advice.

User Info Menu

the 60's a good deal louder from a perception standpoint. the 12 inch speaker moves a good deal more air, giving your sound a better "spread", and the sound "stays together" better--i.e, the volume needed from a cube 30 would begin to max out the speaker, whereas, the 60 could attain the same level and not drive the speaker quite as hard, resulting in a cleaner tone with less "flubby" bass.

i use the 60 regularly for solo gigs and gigs with a light hitting drummer, piano, bass and trumpet. i've never had it cranked past halfway up.

User Info Menu

I've got the 30, but only because this one I could strap onto the back of my bike to go to gigs (yep, that's how jazzplayers go to their gig in Holland! :-).

The 60 does sound more mature though. If you have a loud drummer the 30 will fall short.

User Info Menu

I've got a Cube 60 and it's plenty loud. I used it with my blues band (drums, bass, 2 guitars) and it kept up fine. Very loud amp IMO.

I think the amp sims are a bit sterile sounding, but to me all sim amps are compared to tube amps. I've played my Cube 60 side by side with my Fender Blues Jr. and the Blues Jr. is so much warmer, rounder. To me no comparison.

But in a jazz setting the Cube 60 sounds great! The clean JC setting is wonderful for jazz. To me it just has THAT sound. Hard to explain, but with my Ibanez AK86 it sounds very nice!

User Info Menu

Hola a todos soy Pablo de Argentina y queria comentarles que hace poco tiempo, adquirí mi Roland Cube 60, toco guitarra hace muchos años y estaba buscando un amplificador pequeño y potente para shows en vivo, leyendo los excelentes comentarios acerca del Cube 60 decidí comprarlo y ahora lo estoy disfrutando. Debo decir que los comentarios acerca de este amplificador son reales, yo tenía dudas pero este equipo me ha dado una grata sorpresa!

User Info Menu

Hi all i am Pablo from Argentina and want comment that recently, gained my Roland Cube 60, play guitar many years ago and was looking for a small amplifier and powerful for live shows,
    Reading the excellent comments about the Cube 60 decided buy now and what i am enjoying. I must say that the opinions about this amplifier are real, i had doubts but this amp has given me a pleasant surprise!

User Info Menu

I went for the 60. Even though I play at home, you can never have too much headroom for cleans.

12 inch speaker is a massive bonus as you can replace the stock at a later date if you want.

I have played my guitar through lots of amps, some have been okay others not so good. Tube amps would always induce feedback at lower volumes than SS.

Plugging into a cube 60 was really surprising - OMG real jazz tone straight away.

I think that is why it is so popular. >90% of the people that buy them are after "classic jazz tone" and >90% of people buying them find their guitar provides the tone when played through the Cube.

Short of a Polytone or much much more expensive jazz amp you can't beat a Cube 60.