The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Should be a nice tube amp. I had a Classic 30 once, which was a great amp, but too big and heavy for what I was using it for. Those things are LOUD.

The Classic 20 was made until about 15 years ago, but IIRC didn't have reverb, unlike this newer model.

The only hitch is the price. $1000. My Classic 30 was about half that price, but this was 15 years ago...

Access to this page has been denied.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The new classic 30 is $849. Might as well get the extra 10 watts for a $150 discount.

User Info Menu

I had one of the original (1990's) Classic 20 combos, great little amps but not alot of clean to speak of. Fine for playing clean at home, even better if you wanted a little "hair" on the notes (Kenny Burrell). No idea if the new one sounds like the old one, but the added reverb is nice.

I also owned a Classic 50-410 (God tone when cranked up, but WAY too loud to use anywhere, and way too heavy to haul). Also the Peavey Delta Blues (which was the Classic 30 with 2x10's and tremolo added)... that one was nice too. All the Peavey "Classic" amps are actually really good, but get a bad rap because... well because it's Peavey (and not Marshall, Fender, Vox, etc).

User Info Menu

Same, had a classic 50 probably 15 or 20 years ago. Great amp but never had the chance to turn it up as loud as it wanted to be

User Info Menu

Ooooh, the 20 watt mini head...

User Info Menu

I had a couple classic 30s..those were great.

User Info Menu

Seems like a really versatile amp, IF you get the foot switch for it... there's a midboost available that sounds really cool, but you can only access it with the footswitch (which seems odd to me, but...)

They demonstrate it about halfway thru:

User Info Menu

I’m excited for this. My amp of choice from around 2005-2016 was a Peavey 50 410. That thing was heavy but nothing sounded better. Like others, I never took it up to 12.

It’d be nice to have another Peavey tweed. I like how they sound better than Fender choices.

User Info Menu

I had a Classic 20. Wish we had kept it. It was the perfect match for my L4CES. Together they sounded quite wonderful.

I still have my Classic 50 4x12. Need to fire it up and give it a good go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    I had a Classic 20. Wish we had kept it. It was the perfect match for my L4CES. Together they sounded quite wonderful.

I still have my Classic 50 4x12. Need to fire it up and give it a good go.
    Never heard of a Classic 50 4x12... do you mean the 4x10 combo? Fender Bassman on steroids? LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Never heard of a Classic 50 4x12... do you mean the 4x10 combo? Fender Bassman on steroids? LOL
    The Fender 4x12 combo was the Quad Reverb.

Fender Quad Reverb Amplifier >> Vintage Guitar and Bass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    The Fender 4x12 combo was the Quad Reverb.

Fender Quad Reverb Amplifier >> Vintage Guitar and Bass
    No, I meant the Peavey Classic 50 410 (and the Fender Blues Deville 410 for that matter) were the Fender tweed Bassman on steroids.

User Info Menu

I can’t get over the price. Who do they think they are, Fender?

The beauty of the older Classics were that they were about half the price of the comparable Fender models.

Oh…well when I look at the prices for Fender tube amps they continue up into the stratosphere. The Tonemasters seem like a relative bargain.

User Info Menu

Yes, your right it is the Classic 50 4x10

User Info Menu

Here's a new demo

User Info Menu

I really like Peavey amps but I got to repair a fair number of them and as a studio, home or house/stage amp where they don't move they're great, but for regular gigging? I don't think they're built robust enough without EXTREME care in handling.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    I really like Peavey amps but I got to repair a fair number of them and as a studio, home or house/stage amp where they don't move they're great, but for regular gigging? I don't think they're built robust enough without EXTREME care in handling.
    IDK, I've seen an AWFUL LOT of Classic 30s out there, gigging just fine. Actually Peavy (at least in those days) has a reputation for durable gear.

My Classic 50 was PCB construction, but built like a tank- definitely more robust than Fender's PCB construction methods.

User Info Menu

These days I would never transport a tube amp without a flight case.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    These days I would never transport a tube amp without a flight case.
    On a world tour with air travel, no. But for van touring and especially for just weekend gigs? A good amp cover is fine. Been doing it for years.

User Info Menu

IDK, I've seen an AWFUL LOT of Classic 30s out there, gigging just fine. Actually Peavy (at least in those days) has a reputation for durable gear.

My Classic 50 was PCB construction, but built like a tank- definitely more robust than Fender's PCB construction methods.
    Saying it's better than Fender's PCB construction isn't saying much. Those are junk-built. Pretty much everything in the Fender line is made like cheap junk. Watch a video on the classics, it isn't inspiring build quality at all. The PCB's are folded and eventually the wires connecting the folds will break, possibly when you unfold it to do repairs. Total mess. Eventually, like the Fenders and their cheap junk ribbon wiring, they will fail catastrophically. Yes, there are a lot out there being used for gigs. There are a lot of junk hot rods and other RI Fenders out there gigging too. I've seen my second or third "Tone master died" thread now because those are more flavor of the minute junk amps. As long as they last past the warranty I really doubt Fender cares.

The repair tech won't go out of his way to help the guy with one of those because you are a thorn in his side. You drop off your Kia for repair work and the bay next to it has a classic muscle car. Which one does the tech get joy from fixing? Saved me a lotta money just using old gear. Fender wants 2k for a piece of crap RI Twin now and Peavey wants a grand for a classic 20 combo. That's good for a laugh, lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    Saying it's better than Fender's PCB construction isn't saying much. Those are junk-built. Pretty much everything in the Fender line is made like cheap junk. Watch a video on the classics, it isn't inspiring build quality at all. The PCB's are folded and eventually the wires connecting the folds will break, possibly when you unfold it to do repairs. Total mess. Eventually, like the Fenders and their cheap junk ribbon wiring, they will fail catastrophically. Yes, there are a lot out there being used for gigs. There are a lot of junk hot rods and other RI Fenders out there gigging too. I've seen my second or third "Tone master died" thread now because those are more flavor of the minute junk amps. As long as they last past the warranty I really doubt Fender cares.

The repair tech won't go out of his way to help the guy with one of those because you are a thorn in his side. You drop off your Kia for repair work and the bay next to it has a classic muscle car. Which one does the tech get joy from fixing? Saved me a lotta money just using old gear. Fender wants 2k for a piece of crap RI Twin now and Peavey wants a grand for a classic 20 combo. That's good for a laugh, lol.
    And I thought *I* was an old man yelling at clouds.... LOL

User Info Menu

It's good to see someone transport and handle their stuff like they should, but Peavey issues go beyond PCB's, their edge connectors, flat wires and fused transformers add up to an unreliable amp for most who travel with them.

I think anyone who has repaired Peavey's is a better source of what's road ready than someone who has cared for theirs. Tank like? Hardly. I have a few that the owner's happily gave up rather than pay to have them fixed.

User Info Menu

It's good to see someone transport and handle their stuff like they should, but Peavey issues go beyond PCB's, their edge connectors, flat wires and fused transformers add up to an unreliable amp for most who travel with them.

I think anyone who has repaired Peavey's is a better source of what's road ready than someone who has cared for theirs. Tank like? Hardly. I have a few that the owner's happily gave up rather than pay to have them fixed.
    I'm not talking about "someone I know who took care of theirs", I'm talking about seeing Peavey Classic series amps being gigged for the last 30 years, all over. I can't speak to the "normal" Peavey (black ones) as much, as I haven't seen many of them since I left the midwest. Here on the east coast, if it's a Peavey guitar amp, it's a Classic series. I myself owned a Classic 50-410, and yes it was built like a tank, despite what opinion you may have developed. I worked on it myself, did a few mods.