The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 62

User Info Menu

Tool to disassemble recessed Gibson selector switch-10074627_5-4214855071-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    That would do it. Where might that expensive bad boy be procured from?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    Wow! This tool doubles the risks to make deep scratches to the top!

I guess one should shield the surroundings with masking tape or similar in any case.
    Last edited by Herbie; 02-03-2024 at 06:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timsmcm
    I appreciate your cavalier attitude but it's my guitar not yours. I have tried two small screwdrivers with a bigger screwdriver to try to turn the assembly, to tight could go no further without fear of wrecking some thing.
    OK. Let's hope you or someone here can propose a successful method. FWIW I came across the name of the 'kind' of tool you would need. It's a castellated nut spanner.

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    OK. Let's hope you or someone here can propose a successful method. FWIW I came across the name of the 'kind' of tool you would need. It's a castellated nut spanner.
    Thank you so much. Could not remember. Will do some searching.

User Info Menu

Access to this page has been denied

Use the most angled head. You might have to file down the tips to get them into the slots. You would be using the tool almost horizontally, which greatly reduces the tendency to slip. They have more expensive models, but for a one-time job these will do fine.

User Info Menu

Fun puzzler! So far I like sg's suggestion best. Worth 5 bucks to try at least. The actual castellated nut spanner search finds some contenders, but some aren't right.

Just for the hell of it I went down to the shop to see what I could find. Maybe it'll give some ideas, or maybe you have a friend who has a similar vast assortment of odds and ends in his shop.

That's a Sawzall blade held by the smallest Jorgensen clamp. Prolly have to grind the blades down a tad. They're plenty stiff enough for the job, and as you can see the depth is adjustable.

Still plenty of opportunity for damage. I think angled snap ring pliers might be safest so far as the fulcrum is close to the nut and the other hand might be able to protect if something slips.

Best of luck! I hope to see where this ends up.

Tool to disassemble recessed Gibson selector switch-gizmo-jpg

User Info Menu

I still think you could reach inside and do it without any tool.

User Info Menu

You must have some pretty small hands if you can get them through a pickup rout and maneuver things at that distance. I can't, and I think my hands are about average size.

User Info Menu

I feel like I got it in there when I changed my pickups. Maybe I’m remembering wrong.

User Info Menu

That would do it. Where might that expensive bad boy be procured from?
    I just can't seem to let this go!

Just in case you haven't found it, THAT tool is a 'camera lens spanner wrench', and not all that expensive. Google found a range of $10 to $30. Walmart even sells it. And I don't think it'd be dangerous. At least, no more dangerous than opening up a $4K camera lens.

There are also watch repair tools that would work. They look like dividers from a geometry set. The more robust ones used in woodworking layout would do it too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tjmicsak
    Thanks I sent him a message to see how wide the tool is. Those switches on Those futaba radios are pretty small. R/c enthusiasts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tjmicsak
    Tool to disassemble recessed Gibson selector switch-screen-shot-2024-02-06-3-30-08-am-png

YES! The one I have is Japanese and very specifically dedicated to the toggle switch of a guitar nut. As I said, I've had it so long, I don't remember where I got it from but yeah, it's an essential part of my tool set.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I still think you could reach inside and do it without any tool.
    There are problematic situations all luthiers are vexed by. While I was working with Al Carruth, he had this imaginary tool catalogue for the real worker: a magnetic band saw blade that could bend so it cut wood in a curved line... The invisible glove that once you put it on, allowed the user to reach into the inside of a guitar directly through the back... the amazing shrinker, that allowed you to shrink a carpentry crew, lower them inside the guitar and effect repairs from the inside like a house carpenter complete with mini jacks. Bracing repairs are clean and exact.

This is a job for the invisible glove.

User Info Menu

You could probably find something here Robot or human? that could be used / adapted for the job.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    ... imaginary tool catalogue for the real worker:
    I've only ever really wanted two: anti-gravity tool and time machine!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Tool to disassemble recessed Gibson selector switch-screen-shot-2024-02-06-3-30-08-am-png

YES! The one I have is Japanese and very specifically dedicated to the toggle switch of a guitar nut. As I said, I've had it so long, I don't remember where I got it from but yeah, it's an essential part of my tool set.
    I contacted that man today. That tool is only a 1/2 inch wide at the working end. I used a set of calipers today set for a 1/2 inch, no way will it work on my guitar. Just not wide enough. And I tried to split the difference with half an inch, would not even make it into the grooves. Sux. I shure wanted that to work.

User Info Menu

This is quite pricey but may be easier to control. Tips can be re sharpened/ shaped. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384834459...mis&media=COPY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    This is quite pricey but may be easier to control. Tips can be re sharpened/ shaped. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384834459...mis&media=COPY
    Looks more like a compass, misused as a spanner wrench.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote61
    Looks more like a compass, misused as a spanner wrench.
    Yes, very much like a compass.

User Info Menu

It looks like a compass because that's what it is. It would be dangerous used as a spanner.

User Info Menu

I have a epiphone broadway elite and the switch nut is in tight. What tool would you use to loosen that switch nut?
    Just wondering if you solved this issue.

User Info Menu

I've been wondering too.

Meanwhile, here's another tool. Top o' the line with price to match. It has tips for slots as well!

Tool to disassemble recessed Gibson selector switch-thorlabs-com-spanner-spw801-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    I've been wondering too.

Meanwhile, here's another tool. Top o' the line with price to match. It has tips for slots as well!

Tool to disassemble recessed Gibson selector switch-thorlabs-com-spanner-spw801-jpg
    It is a spanner wrench. I have a cheaper version for working with lenses. I think the correct size of snap ring pliers is a good choice to disassemble the switch.