The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi All,

I have a Gibson ES-175CC and the pickup blade is sitting below the pickup cover. I visited a friend who has the same model ES-175 last weekend with my guitar and he immediately noticed that the blade was sunken below the cover. His pickup blade is maybe an eighth of an inch above the cover of his guitar. His guitar seems to have more amplified volume than mine does. I have seen the CC pickup uninstalled in photos and it appears that the three screws that come through the top are for adjusting the height. Is that correct and what is the procedure for making the adjustment? And do you have any recommendations for the appropriate distance between the top of the blade and bottom of the strings? Thanks!

Bill

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

As high or low as sounds good to your ears, as far as that goes. But the blade being below the cover seems off.

User Info Menu

The bobbin slides over the blade, it is a friction fit. Try pushing the bobbin back down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    The bobbin slides over the blade, it is a friction fit. Try pushing the bobbin back down.
    This….and the assembly can only be raised so much before you hit the limit and the springs are compressed all the way. Be sure not to overtighten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Unless someone filed the blade down yes all you need to do is push the bobbin down.

User Info Menu

Thanks, all, for your informative replies. After fiddling with the bobbin I was able to get the blade above the cover plate. I do have to ask about the third adjustment screw in the top closest to the bridge. What is its purpose in terms of height adjustment? The two screws closest to the pickup make sense as far as adjusting the overall height and then fine tuning the distance of bass vs the treble side of the blade with respect to the strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Eisele
    Thanks, all, for your informative replies. After fiddling with the bobbin I was able to get the blade above the cover plate. I do have to ask about the third adjustment screw in the top closest to the bridge. What is its purpose in terms of height adjustment? The two screws closest to the pickup make sense as far as adjusting the overall height and then fine tuning the distance of bass vs the treble side of the blade with respect to the strings.
    My assumption has always been to maintain the correct tilt, basically functions to level (and simply support the end of the magnets).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Yes the third one affects tilt. There are two large cobalt magnets running parallel to the strings beneath the top. By tightening and loosening the third screw you can tilt the pickup. Loosen that screw and the “north” end (i.e. the side closer to the neck) comes closer to the strings and the “south” end gets farther. This produces warmer tone. Tighten it for a brighter tone. Be careful not to over loosen it because if that spring comes off it’s a serious pain in the ass to mount the pickup again.