The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I’d been looking for a Matsumoku factory Epiphone Emperor (F), the fully hollow body version, but when this thinline version from 1981 came up for a good price, I caved in… I’m glad I did.

It plays better than any guitar I’ve ever handled (admittedly that’s not a wildly high number), and the craftsmanship is incredible. It’s in really fabulous condition for a guitar that’s 43 years old, and only missing the original pickguard so I’m on the hunt for one if anyone has any tips on that or can recommend somewhere that does an appropriate replica.

My only slight criticism, if I can even call it that, is that it’s a heavy thing - probably around 4.5kg - with its mahogany and maple centre block. But the source of that criticism, in other words the big lump of wood inside it, is probably also why it seems to have a sustain like no other guitar I’ve ever tried.

It’s definitely true what they say about the quality of these Matsumoku-made Emperors. It’s amazing and I can’t put it down! (And I can still be on the lookout for the full hollow-body version to keep it company, can’t I…?)
    Last edited by BrianLavelle; 01-18-2024 at 06:46 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's stunning and a great find. Enjoy it and the next hunt!

User Info Menu

Thanks, Sleeko!

User Info Menu

What a guitar!! These are such well made instruments. I've always wanted to try the thinline version.

I have the "Emperor-F" in blonde. It has one of the best necks I've ever played, and even compared to vintage laminated Gibsons it compares very favourably.

User Info Menu

Looks wonderful. Happy playing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    What a guitar!! These are such well made instruments. I've always wanted to try the thinline version.

I have the "Emperor-F" in blonde. It has one of the best necks I've ever played, and even compared to vintage laminated Gibsons it compares very favourably.
    I agree on the neck - I don’t think I’ve ever experienced such a smooth and fast neck. I need to try and control my desire for an Emperor F now! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Looks wonderful. Happy playing!
    Thanks, Rob! It’s already making me very happy. :-)

User Info Menu

That's gorgeous, play the frets off her!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    That's gorgeous, play the frets off her!
    Thanks, Jim! Fully intend to!

User Info Menu

Love that beautiful dark burst. Is it 17”?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Love that beautiful dark burst. Is it 17”?
    Yes, it’s 17”. I love the sunburst too: it can look so different when the light changes.

User Info Menu

Nice score! something other than the stock pickup might sound amazing in that beauty.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rickco
    Nice score! something other than the stock pickup might sound amazing in that beauty.
    Thank you!

The stock Maxon MMK-75s sound really good to my ears (like a warm, vintage PAF tone), so I’ll probably stick with those for now. I’ve read that they were the top-of-the-line pickups fitted at Matsumoku to their high-end guitars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Beautiful instrument. Great color too. Only flaw I see on the picture is the cat’s claw device which is starting to be worn out. Congrats for this nice acquisition.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Beautiful instrument. Great color too. Only flaw I see on the picture is the cat’s claw device which is starting to be worn out. Congrats for this nice acquisition.
    Thanks, Fred! Sadly, the cats probably play better than I do…

I put the (non-original) pick guard back on, and while it’s a good fit and solid, I’m not particularly keen on it. It just looks a bit plasticky.

I think I’ll look for a black replacement. Can anyone recommend somewhere good to supply an accurate guard for this one?

User Info Menu

Lose that guard, it looks cheap and awful. Try Nick Bachman at 1929 Pickguards for a replacement. If you’ve never shopped for a bound pickguard, be prepared - they aren’t cheap. A lot of work involved.

User Info Menu

Very nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stevo58
    Lose that guard, it looks cheap and awful. Try Nick Bachman at 1929 Pickguards for a replacement. If you’ve never shopped for a bound pickguard, be prepared - they aren’t cheap. A lot of work involved.
    Thanks! I’ve seen his work and know how expensive these things are. He didn’t have an Emperor pickguard when I last looked, but no doubt he could make one from a template.