The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I see guitars like Sadowskys available new and for decent prices in Japan. But to purchase you need to use Zenmarket which doesn't tell you the shipping cost until after you've paid for the guitar and it's in their warehouse.

Obviously, shipping cost will play a big part of any buying decision.

Anyone order from Japan and use Zenmarket to have it shipped to the US? I'm curious as to a rough idea of cost as well as any headaches involved.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

They can't provide a shipping quote, no way would I order from them. Never heard of it but it looks like an ebay type operation. I've ordered guitars from Japan on ebay from a private seller and while they were an honest person, it turned into a big hassle because they didn't know what they were doing.

My suggestion is find a reputable guitar shop like Ishibashi or Ikebe who regularly deals with international shipping and you'll be better off. I don't know if they carry Sadowsky or not but sometimes it just pays to prowl reverb-ebay for a while until you find something stateside.

You might get hit with a customs charge, you might not. Good luck sorting out a lost international package or package without the correct papers. Put your Mr. Patient hat on while you are transfered from UPS rep to UPS rep who each provide you with a different story and conflicting info on the location of your item. Never again for me.

I would only deal directly with a good guitar shop. There are some great guitars over there but some stuff ain't worth the risk. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Don't use Zenmarket. Don't use ebay. Zenmarket is a buying service; they buy goods on your behalf, pay 10% Japan sales tax as the sales are considered domestic sales and pass the tax on to you. Why pay 10% sales tax when you don't have to? The other thing is this: should there be a problem these guys will run for the hills. Ditto ebay resellers who don't have the guitars and merely re-list actual dealer listings on ebay. To search for guitars in Japan use DigimartdotNet.

Go to the guitar dealer directly. For Sadowsky guitars, go to Dolphin Guitars and Walkin JP.

Note that Roger Sadowsky in the USA does not service these Japan-bought Sadowsky archtop guitars. When buying used Sadowsky archtops in the USA ask about provenance.

User Info Menu

For example, Sadowsky SS-15: sadowsky ss-15???????????????? .

The price listed includes 10% Japan sales tax. To obtain the export price, divide it by 1.10.

User Info Menu

Japan EMS is highly reliable and cost about JPY20000 to most parts of the world. Walkin JP and Dolphin GT are experienced exporters, small independents and run by jazz guitar enthusiasts. Try not to go to a Japan Big Box guitar dealer as you are rolling the dice. I speak from experience.

User Info Menu

I see Digimart advertises Zenmarket buying service. Do Not, I repeat, do Not use Zenmarket nor Buyee nor whatever. Email the dealer directly. Masaki-san of Walkin Japan, for example, writes and speaks very well in English. Every transaction with him is transparent. No hidden charges. And no 10% Japan sales tax levied on guitars exported out of Japan. You buy from a buying service you pay 10% sales tax as the transaction is considered domestic. And you are not the actual buyer; the buying service is. So, whom are you going to turn to should there be problems with the guitar?

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the input!

I assume Sadowsky USA won't service them because they weren't purchased from them direct? There is a rather huge price jump when buying one domestically.

I also assume that, because they are all made in Japan, they go straight from the factory to the guitar shop in Japan. So no final set-up from NYC.

There are a few Kikuchi guitars that look exactly like Sadowsky models. I assume they came from the same factory.

User Info Menu

"Kikuchi Guitars is a new brand supervised by Yoshiyuki Kikuchi, who gained experience under Roger Sadowsky as the chief of Sadowsky Tokyo."

https://www.walkin.jp/230238129609-2/