Some background, i've been using modelers for 15+ years starting with axefx, then axefxii, kemper, then ax8, fm3 and more recently helix.

I love the helix but it does not do a great job of direct recording clean sounds. No matter what IR I use, I always feel like it's dull and lifeless. So I run one of the line6 outputs to my quilter effect return and into a pair of open back 1x12 cabs with mesa black shadow speakers and I mic the cab. Mixed 50/50 with the IR , it sounds pretty good but susceptible to my neighbor's dog barking and leaf / snow blowing. Listening carefully to the quad cortex clips, it seems they are much better than line6 at a closed loop recording situation so I ordered one. This is my experience:

Got the quad cortex today. My initial impression is not great. Some of the amp sounds are great but the reverbs are terrible. Not even close to fractal or line6. It's on the level of an '80s boss pedal.

And the headphone output is very bad with my AKG M50X and Shure 215 headphones. I'm assuming there is some sort of impedance mismatch. The output is so low as to be unusable. And if I go into the setup screen and turn up the output, it distorts badly.

Also, it seems that it does not enable the send output without having a return input connected. This means I can't use the send output to go to my power amp.

The actual amp / speaker sounds are definitively better than helix but at this price point, i expect better.

Plus, i found out you have to send it back to finland for warranty repairs.

So, i'm probably going to return it. At this price point, it should be blowing me away.

I would get the kemper player but they've dumbed down the reverbs and delays in the player.