The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Yeah, same issue.
    OK. I've been using the York Audio Twin Reverb JBL with great results, but a lot of people in the modelling route have gone the guitar cab way instead of IRs + FRFR.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    OK. I've been using the York Audio Twin Reverb JBL with great results, but a lot of people in the modelling route have gone the guitar cab way instead of IRs + FRFR.
    I need to try that IR. I have the redwirez EV12L but i'm not crazy about it. The JBL might have too much high freq content for my taste. I tend to like the early pat martino records and joe pass joy spring.

Does york audio have EV12L?

User Info Menu

I need to try that IR. I have the redwirez EV12L but i'm not crazy about it. The JBL might have too much high freq content for my taste. I tend to like the early pat martino records and joe pass joy spring.

Does york audio have EV12L?
    It's a little bright, but I think it can do Benson/Martino thing well. The Martino "El Hombre" tone is on the bright side, at least compared to his later stuff! But it's a bright speaker, no doubt. On York IRs I always use exculevely the first files of the Mix folder, which are a combination of the R121 and the SM57 - a good balance of fatness (R121) and clairty (SM57).

York doesn't have the EV12L, although it may be in the plans. I agree the Redwirez EV was not very good, but I like the Ownhammer version. They even have other EVs lilke the EV-S and the EV-SRO, and some are on the Mesa Thiele Cab, which is a good cab. They're still not as good as York, IMHO.

It's a little bright, but I think it can do Benson/Martino thing well. The Martino "El Hombre" tone is on the bright side, at least compared to his later stuff! But it's a bright speaker, no doubt. On York IRs I always use exculevely the first files of the Mix folder, which are a combination of the R121 and the SM57 - a good balance of fatness (R121) and clairty (SM57).

York doesn't have the EV12L, although it may be in the plans. I agree the Redwirez EV was not very good, but I like the Ownhammer version. They even have other EVs lilke the EV-S and the EV-SRO, and some are on the Mesa Thiele Cab, which is a good cab. They're still not as good as York, IMHO.
    I have a few ownhammer cabs but not the 12L. I hate the sound of the thiele cab. They are particularly middy for my tastes and so is the 12L. I'd like to try an open back version.

I am trying out a quad cortex this week so I'll report back on their IR implementation (for my tastes) but again, the issue is that none of these companies have more than a .01% user base of jazz guitarists, lol. The demos with a strat sound good but they have that bright thing going on that might not work for me with an archtop. I agree that martino's early sound is brighter...And of course George's sound is bright.

User Info Menu

I have a few ownhammer cabs but not the 12L. I hate the sound of the thiele cab. They are particularly middy for my tastes and so is the 12L. I'd like to try an open back version.

I am trying out a quad cortex this week so I'll report back on their IR implementation (for my tastes) but again, the issue is that none of these companies have more than a .01% user base of jazz guitarists, lol. The demos with a strat sound good but they have that bright thing going on that might not work for me with an archtop. I agree that martino's early sound is brighter...And of course George's sound is bright.
    Ok, if you don't like the Thiele, don't try the Ownhammer! I don't mind the middy sound, but I use the EV with Dumble or Polytones - Blackfaces it's either the JBL or Jensens.

I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on the Quad, I would love to get one. I heard their Deluxe yesterday, and it sounded great, not bright at all. I think some companies are doing dynamic IRs, not sure if the Quad has them... they also have a 4m looper and a freeze, both very good for practice.

User Info Menu

I've never felt that IRs convincingly capture the sound of a real cab. As I've said over and over, a real speaker motor interacts with the output section of an amp and that cannot happen on an IR. I've spent tons on 3rd party IRs and am not convinced they sound as good as Helix's native cabs.
    An impulse response is just a filter that captures the frequency response of a speaker as heard through a particular mic with a particular placement at a particular level. It does include the interaction between the speaker and amp insofar as that affects the frequency response at the level at which the response was recorded. The spatial variation of the sound that a real cab has is not represented in a single impulse response, nor is any non-linear interaction between speaker and amp.

Quote Originally Posted by aquin43
    An impulse response is just a filter that captures the frequency response of a speaker as heard through a particular mic with a particular placement at a particular level. It does include the interaction between the speaker and amp insofar as that affects the frequency response at the level at which the response was recorded. The spatial variation of the sound that a real cab has is not represented in a single impulse response, nor is any non-linear interaction between speaker and amp.
    Capturing the IR with a particular mic and a particular level is a static interaction and not the same as dynamic interaction that occurs while playing and it varies with what you are playing.

Ok, if you don't like the Thiele, don't try the Ownhammer! I don't mind the middy sound, but I use the EV with Dumble or Polytones - Blackfaces it's either the JBL or Jensens.

I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on the Quad, I would love to get one. I heard their Deluxe yesterday, and it sounded great, not bright at all. I think some companies are doing dynamic IRs, not sure if the Quad has them... they also have a 4m looper and a freeze, both very good for practice.
    Sometimes our tastes change. I can come close to all of these with my helix and real guitar speakers. Not so much with IRs. Maybe I'll give the ownhammer EVs a try.

i really like the sounds that joe pass got on that joy spring album

Joe Pas Intercontinental / I love you

i also like howard roberts' '60s sound

johnny smith's '60s sound

johnny smith the boy next door - YouTube

Martino's '60s sound

User Info Menu

I've thought about that but my house is very old. 70 year old wiring and i'm always getting weird noises. I suspect when my neighbor is running his vacuum cleaner or electric blower, it induces noise. And so any tube amp (preamp) is going to be susceptible to picking up RF noise through the tube itself...

I think if the speaker cab modeling is better on the QC, I'd probably bite on it. I haven't tried the boss but I'm not a big fan of their stuff. Plus, i doubt it has one of the the main functionalities I need which is to have one output with IR, the other output without.
    Have you tried a Voodoo Labs isolated power supply? They are made to cut down the noise and give clean power:

Voodoo Lab – Voodoo Lab

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    Have you tried a Voodoo Labs isolated power supply? They are made to cut down the noise and give clean power:

Voodoo Lab – Voodoo Lab
    I have not but I have the cioks which is also isolated and should be noise free. But in my case, i'm not using any pedals. The noise occurs plugging straight into the audio device or into my quilter. It's a combination of RF and AC line noise.

User Info Menu

Sometimes our tastes change. I can come close to all of these with my helix and real guitar speakers. Not so much with IRs. Maybe I'll give the ownhammer EVs a try.

i really like the sounds that joe pass got on that joy spring album

Joe Pas Intercontinental / I love you

i also like howard roberts' '60s sound

johnny smith's '60s sound

johnny smith the boy next door - YouTube

Martino's '60s sound

Yeah, one of these days I'll try a guitar cab with a modeler!

User Info Menu

I have not but I have the cioks which is also isolated and should be noise free. But in my case, i'm not using any pedals. The noise occurs plugging straight into the audio device or into my quilter. It's a combination of RF and AC line noise.
    OK then, what about a Boss NS-1X Noise Suppressor:

BOSS - NS-1X | Noise Suppressor

???

User Info Menu

I ended up with a DSM Simplifier MKII. I am pretty happy.

User Info Menu

1. The output level is too low to go into the effect return of an amp which is a deal breaker for me.
    2. Inability to configure one output with IR and another without. if you use a power amp and guitar speakers like I do, the current implementation of IRs (either off or on) doesn't allow you to feed IRs to the house or studio , while having them disabled going to your other amp. Every other modeler allows you to do this. The other choice is to simply buy two and set them up identically, one with cab one without
    3. Software is horrible. The editor does not edit on the unit. You are editing a virtual plugin on the computer. I found that some settings on the computer work fine but don't work when downloaded to your pedal. For example, having the gain at zero on the computer works fine, on the pedal, you get no output
    4. It's clumsy to use the pedal as input to your computer while you're dialing in the sounds. You have to physically go the the global menu (on the pedal), and disable the "live" mode on the USB. Then, after you download the sound to the pedal, you have to go back to your pedal and reset the parameter for live mode. You can't do any of this from the software so it's very clumsy. Alternatively, you can just leave it in "live" mode and plug your computer straight into another audio device's input but on my system, all 4 of my inputs are in use and it means I'd have to unplug something to edit a sound. Not very well thought out and in 2024, not having a editor to edit parameters and presets seems like a huge miss. Particularly since it's been out for a year!
    5. Tone was very shrill. I downloaded Nico Schliemann's jazz princeton amp preset. It sounded good on his youtube video. However, I discovered that it's super bright. I had treble and presence on zero and it was still brighter than a fender amp with the treble on 5. Additionally, it's very noisy. I suspect when they sampled the princeton, they turned it up loud and had the treble up to 7 or 10 in order to get the sweet breakup that, that amp is known for. However, due to the tone controls on the amp not having a very wide range, even turning all treble off, it was still very shrill sounding.
    1. The output level is a problem, but it's one of the configurations they mention. I've ordered one so that'll be one of the first things I'll try. Not sure if that can be fixed in software, they may have enough headroom in the output to drive it harder, think that's a long shot though
    2. They can fix that in software, if someone with your credentials requests, they'll add that capability on a future release.
    3. Software will get better
    4. Ditto (I would think, who knows) - I realize Tonex has been out for a while, but a lot of resources must have gone into the Tonex One.
    5. When I get mine I will try some of the rigs on tonex but with any of the Kemper like modelers it's about what was sampled and how well it was sampled, so I'll probably look for recommendation for a set of presets I can buy for blues, jazz, fusion (this will the core of my fly rig)

One thing that's been talked about a lot in this thread is static IR's (not sure what Dyna IR's are, probably more than one IR per tone but probably not that dynamic). However the Ox Stomp doesn't use IR's it totally models everything, (so dynamic not static - it obviously can't completely model the interaction of the amp and speaker) the speaker reaction, cabinet, the room, even includes room mikes (stereo or mono), you can dial in the age of the speaker and you can split the stereo signal into Cab and no Cab (just turn off one of the mics). Plus it has built in (beautiful) plate reverb and delay (with modulation) and an 1176 compressor.
    Just a moment...

My main board (which fits on a Nano) I use the Ox Stomp (since amps are almost a thing of the past, at least 1/2 my gigs now don't have amps - live in Taiwan, walk,cycle,rapid transit, so not one brings amps ). The other thing I use which might be something to think about is an Origin Effects Compact Revival Drive Compact (I also have a Magma 57 which models a couple of old magnatones). When I say model they model end to end in all analog. They sound, feel and reaction are like a real tube amp. The combination of the Ox Stomp and Revival Drive (or Magma) is great.

This will give you an idea the extent and details they go to create an amp from end to end (minus the speaker)
    Analogue Amp Recreations – Why We Do What We Do – Origin Effects

This talks about the Magma 57 (actually my favorite but with the magma I only have room for 2 extra pedals)
    Product Spotlight – MAGMA57 – Origin Effects

The RD and Ox Stomp fit on a nano pedal board (smallest board I can find) and still have room for 3 other pedals.

Just another option to consider. Hope something in here is useful

User Info Menu

I also tried it and it didn't work for me. I just much prefer non-profile based modelers. Yeah, they say you can modify your model / image with the built in EQs etc or externally, but in my experience you are just profile hunting all the time.
    For recording certain sounds or reproducing iconic sounds it might be great. Just too much "magic" happening for me.

Currrently I'm only using modelers when before my computer and I still like Amplitube the best (although the UI is also not very good).