The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

Hi guys!

I’m Davide from Italy, I found really valuable things and help on this forum so I think it’s time to be an active part of it.

I’d like to share with you my love for my beautiful guitars.

The first one is a Semi made by Schottmüller, beautiful semihollow guitar, with a really acoustic voice.

The second one is a Maryan made by Nico Moffa, a lovely 16” fully hollow archtop with personal voice that I really love.

The amp is the great Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb with delay and reverb (I prefer a more modern sound than the typical traditional jazz sound).

Let me know what do you think or if you need more information about anything.

Thank you!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Davide ! Thanks for sharing these clips and they do show that you're a fine player and also a connaisseur of fine guitars !
    However, the tonal character of these quite different guitars does not come through in the recordings : in the first clip the echo effect is a little too prominent for my taste and in the second clip the guitar is not loud enough. Just bear that in mind when you're planning your next recordings !
    PS: a friend has a Schottmüller semi and it is a very nice and super easy to play guitar ! Personally I do not like the color scheme but that's just me ...

Quote Originally Posted by gitman View Post
    Hi Davide ! Thanks for sharing these clips and they do show that you're a fine player and also a connaisseur of fine guitars !
    However, the tonal character of these quite different guitars does not come through in the recordings : in the first clip the echo effect is a little too prominent for my taste and in the second clip the guitar is not loud enough. Just bear that in mind when you're planning your next recordings !
    PS: a friend has a Schottmüller semi and it is a very nice and super easy to play guitar ! Personally I do not like the color scheme but that's just me ...
    Thank you so much! I am new to recording so it’s a work in progress.
    Thank you for your advice, I will try to use them with the next recording!

User Info Menu

Ciao Davide e benvenuto! It's my impression that jazz guitar in Italy is in good health. You just provided additional proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug View Post
    Ciao Davide e benvenuto! It's my impression that jazz guitar in Italy is in good health. You just provided additional proof.
    Thank you so much for your nice words

User Info Menu

I love the keyboard too!

I use it for band arrangements and sometimes for composition

User Info Menu

Very nice playing!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    Very nice playing!
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Dave93; 01-08-2024 at 04:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Very nice guitars. You play them superbly. Moffa was quite the rage here a few years ago and all of a sudden Nico Moffa went quiet. It would be nice to hear his guitars again.

Thank you!
    I agree with you, Nico makes beautiful guitars!

Here is another one, trying to capture the acoustic quality of this beautiful instrument blending the microphone with the ambience sound. Still a work in progress (the microphone is the SM57, not the best choice but this is what I have right now).
    Let me know if you like it!

User Info Menu

Nice! You need to jack up the gain on preamp on that sm57 (not a little either).

Quote Originally Posted by callouscallus View Post
    Nice! You need to jack up the gain on preamp on that sm57 (not a little either).
    Thank you, the strange thing is that I have to put the preamp volume almost all the way up but I achieve a very low signal from the channel (I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, first channel, line input).

User Info Menu

Hey Dave, I'm no expert, but I'd say this is what your are dealing with

quote....
    A Cloudlifter is essentially a mic preamp with a set amount of gain. Its intention is to be inserted between the mic and another mic preamp to add an additional 25dB of gain if you're using a mic with low output and/or if you have a noisy mic preamp in your interface.

you could get something like this;
    Klark Teknik MIC BOOSTER CT 1 Compact Dynamic Microphone Booster Reviews | Sweetwater

or save for a condenser mic that will have much more output than a 57

I was actually thinking about buying a condenser microphone. Any suggestions if I want to spend 200/300€? Maybe used?

Thank you!

User Info Menu

In another forum a person who operated an acoustic guitar studio suggested at the $100 price point these two mics were good contenders.

Audio Technica 2021, or the AKG P170. (He personally said he'd go with the AT 2021 over the AKG).

Since the cloudlifter devise is at least $40 it might be nice just to spend a bit more and get another mic.

I'm sure there are even cheaper options.

Thank, I will buy a new microphone soon

Hi guys, I am doing some attempts with my new microphone, here you can hear it blended with the direct out of my Fender Tonemaster. What do you think about it? What can I improve?

Thank you!

User Info Menu

I think your mic placement one way of recording an archtop. It’s pretty common today to close mic the two sound sources. Personally I prefer the sound of more distant placement that captures both the guitar and the amp. But this is just me and it’s because I like the quality of the guitar in older recordings from the 40s and 50s when close micing was less common. The motivation for close micing was at least partially driven by the need to separate sound sources and reduce bleed (to allow for processing individual tracks). As a result the final image is constructed artificially and sounds quite different than the original sound in the room.

Here’s an example of how I mic and the sound it produces. I have a ribbon mic positioned below the guitar but pointed at the amp. This way you get a natural blending of the two sources. You reduce the phase cancellation issues that are introduced by combining two sources miced at different distances.

That’s my 2c and your approach is common today but I just like to offer an alternative way of looking at things and in this case, an older way of doing it.

User Info Menu

Oh I was going to add. If you are committed to the close mic approach, I think an archtop sounds better with the mic pointed at the body instead of the 12th fret. 12th fret is something that a lot of engineers recommend for flat tops. The draw back is that your finger squeaks are very present and audible. Additionally it's a bright and thin sound. You can get a warmer acoustic tone by pointing the mic at the body of the guitar. Try putting it a foot away, 45 degrees from the treble side f hole, pointed roughly at the tailpiece.

Thank you so much, I will try both!
    Really nice sound and playing

User Info Menu

Youll get as many opinions on mics as you would on guitars. The Oktava MK 012 is much beloved by classical guitarists and I have used it on archtops and amps upright bass sax trumpet and vocals and pairs for wind brass choral and string quartet, also 1st choice for film dialog for many filmographers. often compared to Neuman's km 84. I would recommend the cardiod capsule for starters but their omni and hyper are also exceptional so you have that fexibility as you go forward. Best part is they are cheap either used or new. Remember that the preamp or interface you use will have a major effect on sound as well. With your instruments and level of playing you should have a good mic! As an aside, many people dont know that a 57 is a great mike for vocals with a good preamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickco View Post
    Youll get as many opinions on mics as you would on guitars. The Oktava MK 012 is much beloved by classical guitarists and I have used it on archtops and amps upright bass sax trumpet and vocals and pairs for wind brass choral and string quartet, also 1st choice for film dialog for many filmographers. often compared to Neuman's km 84. I would recommend the cardiod capsule for starters but their omni and hyper are also exceptional so you have that fexibility as you go forward. Best part is they are cheap either used or new. Remember that the preamp or interface you use will have a major effect on sound as well. With your instruments and level of playing you should have a good mic! As an aside, many people dont know that a 57 is a great mike for vocals with a good preamp.
    Actually the Oktava is exactly the one I was using in this video and I have recently bought the new Focusrite Scarlett, I love this setup but I’m trying to improve my ability on guitar recordings with what I have

User Info Menu

There is no "correct" mic position as this changes with each scenario. The Oktava is particularly good at distance, experiment by moving it away 1' (305mm) at a time. Start with aiming it at the bridge noting the response at every change in distance then same thing aimed at base of neck. This process should take a lot of time and repeats but ultimately you will learn what works best making sure you can identify the changes repeatedly (brighter warmer more string noise less string noise etc.) Learning to record a guitar well is a long process of continued experimentation but most importantly noting your findings detailing each scenario so you can make informed choices as you go along. If your recordings dont sound great with that mic it aint the mic! In every scenario there is a "sweet" spot, finding that is the trick. Remember if it sounds good to you it is good. Lastly what you are playing it back through is just as important so listen to your recordings on as many different systems (devices?) as you can.