The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 103

User Info Menu

1978 Takamine F340S flat top. It was the first guitar I bought in November 1979. Laminated back sides, solid spruce top, basically a Martin D-18 rip off from the headstock design to the lettering of the decal. From 5 feet away, you could be forgiven for thinking it actually is a Martin. It doesn't sound like a Martin, but it sounds really nice and has been my only steel string flat top guitar for all those years; it's just good enough to keep me from buying another flat top.

2008 Squier Affinity Telecaster. I bought it because it was a cheap introduction to Telecasters at under $200 and I wasn't sure that I would like them. I have replaced the pickups, electronics and neck as the original neck is very narrow and a little uncomfortable as a result with my big fat fingers. So it's been upgraded, but bone stock it sounded very good. I have played many gigs on that guitar (for what it's worth, the current pickups in that instrument are Wilde Microcoils and they are truly outstanding).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I would have to say my Epi Joe Pass, and Ibanez AF103 and 153's.

User Info Menu

I'd like to put in a good word for my Ibanez Artcore AS93FM. This semi-hollowbody has great sustain, and the stopbar tailpiece makes it a breeze to easily and quickly adjust the intonation on each string. With the center block it's a bit heavier that a hollowbody, but since I play sitting down, that's not a big deal.

I've played 1930's and 40's tunes on my hollowbody Ibanez AK95 for about ten years, and I love the workmanship and the tone of that guitar. But that floating bridge and wooden saddle drove me crazy! So when I was asked to join a band that played classic rock & rock tunes from the 1950's and 60's, I decided to go for a semi-hollowbody with a Tune-O-Matic style bridge instead.

I will say that the new Ibanez seemed to need a bit more setup attention than usual. There were a few fret sprouts on one side of the neck that needed to be filed down, and all the frets needed a good polishing -- things that really should have been done at the factory. But once again, the workmanship was solid and the guitar was beautifully finished.

I spent about $1,000 total for the guitar, a hardshell case and the initial setup. Although that's relatively inexpensive compared to many other guitars out there, I feel it's an excellent value. This would be a good guitar to take to gigs without being too concerned about damage to the instrument (as opposed to other axes in higher price ranges). SETH

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    Harley Benton TE90QM for me,

This guitar is not "good for the price", it is a good guitar, period.
    And quite a looker!

Inexpensive Guitars that you Love-tele-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    This! Featuring a nitro finish. $650!

Attachment 107677
    But fix that pickguard placement!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polyp
    Attachment 107678 This is my Ibanez AJF91. It cost me £300 and I spent another £50 on modifications. Sounds wonderful.
    Poor man's "Blue Guitars Collection."

User Info Menu

I do a fair amt of bass work for music theater stuff, so I finally swapped out my Ibby full scale 5-string for a new Squier Classic Vibe Bass VI. 30" scale, tuned an octave below guitar, sounds like a bass, plays like a long scale guitar. A little rough out of the box - had to work on the neck, nut, and bridge, now plays and sounds like a dream. Anything from a classic mellow jazzy bass sound to a strumming or twangy rock machine (see GC link, solo at 1:40, then Beatles stuff in last vid). $400 from my Sweetwater agent. (Warning, too many pics below, because I'm thrilled with this thing. And other musicians really dig it too.)

Inexpensive Guitars that you Love-bass-vi-jpg
    Inexpensive Guitars that you Love-bass-vi-5-jpg
    Inexpensive Guitars that you Love-bass-vi-2-jpg
    Inexpensive Guitars that you Love-bass-vi-6-jpg
    Inexpensive Guitars that you Love-bass-vi-3-jpg
    Inexpensive Guitars that you Love-bass-vi-3-jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=b_PWJHadcAk
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 01-09-2024 at 08:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Poor man's "Blue Guitars Collection."
    I hadn't thought of that; close as I'll ever get though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polyp
    I hadn't thought of that; close as I'll ever get though.
    I'm in your strata too.

ps - Nice handle. I just had a colonoscopy this morning. Luckily none of those.

User Info Menu

This one doesn’t even have a brand. I put it together out of discount and used parts except for the neck pickup which is a lollar Johnny smith. The pickups probably worth as much as the guitar. I take this when I travel. I spent a lot of time working on the frets and set up and it plays amazing. Neck is 24 3/4”.
    Inexpensive Guitars that you Love-img_9404-jpg

User Info Menu

Almost my entire guitar collection consists of “inexpensive guitars that I love”……

Condor ES-175, bought for $150:

Ibanez AF55, bought for $275:

Framus Sorento, bought for $195:

Heck, even my ES-125 (most expensive guitar I own) was cheap for a Gibson, I got it for $1000:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    This one doesn’t even have a brand,,
    Digging the Goodwill shop knobs.

Cool tele.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Digging the Goodwill shop knobs.
    Maybe Bakelite?

User Info Menu

An inexpensive guitar I really love is my 1960 Levin 335. It cost less than a Loar.

It is a bargain for a quality carved-top instrument, and has the unusual Stromberg-esque diagonal brace under the top. Back and sides are laminated. It has a thin body (maybe 2 3/4'') and is feather-light. The acoustic sound is loud and punchy, and plugged in it sounds great. It's so comfortable to play.

I've had a few non-guitarists I work with comment on how good the guitar sounds. Who am I to disagree?!

Inexpensive Guitars that you Love-20211215_181140-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    Harley Benton TE90QM for me, that I got brand new for 204 €
    I bought it having in mind that it'll be a platform for upgrades (pick-ups, electronics, tuning machines...)
    It arrived with a perfect setup, very good fit and finish and I didn't modify it
    I initially thought that it will not last, that I'll have to tweak the setup more than often (for this price !) Never needed to do that.
    The sound of the Roswell P90 is more than acceptable.
    This guitar is not "good for the price", it is a good guitar, period.
    Attachment 107670

Hej 339, the guitar looks great and your description as well. It being a thin line I wonder, is it well balanced or is it neck heavy?

User Info Menu

They actually aren't that inexpensive any more, but when I bought it this was a fraction of the cost of its Gibson equivalent, and it sounds incredible.
    Inexpensive Guitars that you Love-aria180-tmtr-jpg

User Info Menu

Epiphone '13 Genesis which I regret nearly giving away. I had a '68 custom Les Paul (bought new) and a '73+- Black Beauty '54 reish also new both sold long ago...sit down for this, The Genesis was every bit as good a player and sound. these were a "limited" edition even came with a ltd case which they ran out of. The model had a small cult following when it was first introduced then discontinued, I thought the '13 was much better in every way. I got mine 2nd hand in truly mint condition for about $425 and let it go for less! I dont play solid bodies anymore so I dont miss it in that sense but in hindsight it could've been "the" guitar if I was still playing out.

User Info Menu

But fix that pickguard placement!
    Nope, that’s the way it came. I play Wes style with my fingers spread out over the edge, so it doesn’t get in the way. And I’m keeping this one, but I couldn’t say that for the hundred or so I sold. Different time.

My first was a Yamaha AE1200S, in a rare blonde bought for $800. Sold it for $1499. That’s what began the buy/sell frenzy that lasted 7 years.

Inexpensive Guitars that you Love-img_1890-jpeg

User Info Menu

surprised no one mentioned the Peerless made Epi Emperor Regent, many on this site Im sure would concur. Listen to JD playing his!!! Ive owned a few all of them excellent and well under $1k used

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rickco
    surprised no one mentioned the Peerless made Epi Emperor Regent, many on this site Im sure would concur. Listen to JD playing his!!! Ive owned a few all of them excellent and well under $1k used
    I did mention the guitar without specifying (this time) that mine is a -99 blonde Peerless. It's my first archtop after a 25-year hiatus and the last one to leave. Keeps getting better all the time. Wish I could say the same of my playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 0zoro
    Hej 339, the guitar looks great and your description as well. It being a thin line I wonder, is it well balanced or is it neck heavy?
    Hej Ozoro !
    Thanks for the kind words !
    This guitar is a real pleasure to play. It's a thin semi-hollow, so it's not too light (and not too heavy ) well balanced for playing seated or standing.
    Thomann has one B-Stock for 184 € !

User Info Menu

I do a fair amt of bass work for music theater stuff, so I finally swapped out my Ibby full scale 5-string for a new Squier Classic Vibe Bass VI. 30" scale, tuned an octave below guitar, sounds like a bass, plays like a long scale guitar. A little rough out of the box - had to work on the neck, nut, and bridge, now plays and sounds like a dream. Anything from a classic mellow jazzy bass sound to a strumming or twangy rock machine (see GC link, solo at 1:40, then Beatles stuff in last vid). $400 from my Sweetwater agent. (Warning, too many pics below, because I'm thrilled with this thing. And other musicians really dig it too.)

Inexpensive Guitars that you Love-bass-vi-jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=b_PWJHadcAk
    I have been tempted by this Squier bass VI, but due to string spacing, I guess it has to be played like a guitar, not like a bass ?

User Info Menu

I'm in your strata too.

ps - Nice handle. I just had a colonoscopy this morning. Luckily none of those.
    Adopted from a 1960's, British, radio show, "Round the Horne."

User Info Menu

"surprised no one mentioned the Peerless made Epi Emperor Regent, many on this site Im sure would concur. Listen to JD playing his!!! Ive owned a few all of them excellent and well under $1k used"

I posted mine a few pages back.

Inexpensive Guitars that you Love-img_2058-jpeg
    Last edited by Sleeko; 01-10-2024 at 09:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    I did mention the guitar without specifying (this time) that mine is a -99 blonde Peerless. It's my first archtop after a 25-year hiatus and the last one to leave. Keeps getting better all the time. Wish I could say the same of my playing.
    My bad, zoomed thru late to the party apologies to all who I should have assumed would be here with the popularity of these gems.