The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Finally got some other guitars off the bench and tackled my own L-5. As I posted in my NGD, the L-5 was perfect in every way, except for the very wobbly pup switch, which I seemed to not be able to tighten or loosen.

So today, I removed the pick guard and neck pup, did a little close inspection with a mirror and then set to work. I had this set of laboratory tongs in the shop, that had just the right angle to them and flat faces on the jaws. I padded the jaws with electrical tape and was able to get a good hold on the bottom of the switch, which allowed me to remove the knurled nut. An inspection revealed no cross threading and everything looked fine. I reinstalled the switch fairly tight, but it was still floppy. I removed the switch again and placed appropriate sized washer on the switch to take up a little travel, before reinstalling it. After tightening, the amount of wobble was greatly reduced and within the range of acceptability. I could place a second thin washer for a little more stiffness.

I understand the original idea for this switch mounting system, but Gibson could have and should have done this better, even changing mid stream. I bet this was one thing that George Benson wanted improved when Ibanez approached him. The two GB10 guitars that I had, also had a grommet mounted switch, but they were nice and tight with a positive feel.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There should have been a star washer underneath also. Gibson has been known to forget them. Also top thickness variance can be a factor with a loose fit when the top is carved thinner.
    Glad you got it fixed.

User Info Menu

Well done you. Every dual PU L5 (player) deserves a sturdy toggle switch.

User Info Menu

Really good to hear about your success.
    It certainly feels good when you can fix your own guitar, and it builds confidence.
    If you're going to play them, it's good to know how to maintain them.
    Also, a good luthier is not always available when you need them.
    Enjoy that guitar.

User Info Menu

I got the L-5 Wes Montgomery for one more good reason: no switch selector to make an extra hole and faff around with.