The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Hi, today reverd show me this L5 CES 2013 crimson custom shop, It seems not a bad price for me (not a bargain neither) for the european market.
    Gibson Custom L-5 CES '13 - Vintage Sunburst (w/ | Reverb Espana

I can be in a good moment to pull out the trigger with one of this, some expert eye can give me some wisdom?

Another one on gregs guitars, that seems to be a more trusty Seller than some random on reverb.
    1977 Gibson L-5 CES sunburst
    Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Mpm; 01-05-2024 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Change urls

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For what I know Greg's Guitars is a very serious, reliable seller.

I will probably never be able to afford a guitar of that level but Greg's Guitar gives me confidence.

Ettore - www.quenda.it

User Info Menu

I would go for the newer one. It has better woods and is not a factory second.

User Info Menu

My impression is that the 70s ones go for a lot less because they are not as highly regarded by collectors as 90s-current ones. I have not played a 70s era L5 so I can't comment on the quality.

User Info Menu

Imo the only thing the modern ones have over 70s models is more figured woods (after about '72ish, I had a '71 that was outrageously figured, but once the decade wore on the maple got plainer) and better sunburst on the newer ones as opposed to mid/late 70s models
    In some ways I actually prefer them over the modern ones but ymmv....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Imo the only thing the modern ones have over 70s models is more figured woods (after about '72ish, I had a '71 that was outrageously figured, but once the decade wore on the maple got plainer) and better sunburst on the newer ones as opposed to mid/late 70s models
    In some ways I actually prefer them over the modern ones but ymmv....
    I’m pretty much in complete agreement. I’ve played some great 70s examples that were aesthetically far less appealing than earlier or laters ones. One in particular had very excessive grain runout in the back wood that would turn off most people. They played and sounded great though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I’m pretty much in complete agreement. I’ve played some great 70s examples that were aesthetically far less appealing than earlier or laters ones. One in particular had very excessive grain runout in the back wood that would turn off most people. They played and sounded great though.

I have owned a couple of 1970’s L5CES’s and they were both great guitars. I also had a 2008 CES, while still in possession of one of the Norlin ones (a ‘74 Natural CES). The 2008 was a stunning guitar that was probably a better guitar overall. Having said that, I eventually let the 2008 go and kept the ‘74, a choice that was based on sentimental reasons more than anything.

The two that the OP is looking at both seem to be about the same price. I would have expected a factory 2nd ‘77 with a volute would sell for less than a 2013 model with premium wood. Between these two, I would definitely prefer the newer one.

Keith
    Last edited by floatingpickup; 01-06-2024 at 09:03 AM.

User Info Menu

I had a Norlin mid-70's 335 and it was awesome.

User Info Menu

I would buy the 13. the older has the gold plating wear and typical tarnish, excusable but degrading. The rusty old strings are inexcusable. The TM (adjustable) bridge on the 13 is worth the extra money also.
    Of all my guitars, i love my L5 (wes) the most. If you have the $$ you won't regret.

This was really helpful folks, thanks a lot!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mpm
    Hi, today reverd show me this L5 CES 2013 crimson custom shop, It seems not a bad price for me (not a bargain neither) for the european market.
    Gibson Custom L-5 CES '13 - Vintage Sunburst (w/ | Reverb Espana

I can be in a good moment to pull out the trigger with one of this, some expert eye can give me some wisdom?

Another one on gregs guitars, that seems to be a more trusty Seller than some random on reverb.
    1977 Gibson L-5 CES sunburst
    Thanks a lot.
    Depending on where you are located I'd strongly suggest to make the drive and check out the guitar in Aix in person - if you like it then the store will sell it direct, saving you the
    reverb.com markup. Gregor always shoots his photos MUCH too dark and tinted so the actual color and shading is hard to judge - asl for some pics made in natural light.
    The re-sale of the plainer model will be more difficult and maybe you'll have to take a cut but it might well be the better guitar FOR YOU.

User Info Menu

I would buy the 2013 no question but I would carve a new ebony saddle. The tunomatic for my ears not as smooth sounding. You are in Europe so might be the difference but would not pay the asking price for sure.

User Info Menu

I bought a 1977 L5CES from Greg not so long ago. Reliable seller and a very nice guy. I met him a couple of times.
    Other than the wood grain and the visual aspect thereof, there is probably another difference. Nut width. My own 77 CES has a smaller nut width compared to my 2002 Hutch L5CT. No information about the nut width is given on either of the two, but I assume the 77 to have a smaller nut width than the 13.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hotpepper01
    I bought a 1977 L5CES from Greg not so long ago. Reliable seller and a very nice guy. I met him a couple of times.
    Other than the wood grain and the visual aspect thereof, there is probably another difference. Nut width. My own 77 CES has a smaller nut width compared to my 2002 Hutch L5CT. No information about the nut width is given on either of the two, but I assume the 77 to have a smaller nut width than the 13.
    A 1977 should generally have a standard 1 11/16” nut width. There are exceptions though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hotpepper01
    That's interesting, what are the widths on both?
    Also, most people assume pre 65 nut widths to be a full 1 11/16 but I've seen many from the early 60s to be a tad narrower, around 1 21/32" or so.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    That's interesting, what are the widths on both?
    Also, most people assume pre 65 nut widths to be a full 1 11/16 but I've seen many from the early 60s to be a tad narrower, around 1 21/32" or so.
    I took the measurements. The 77 CES is 42,9 mm and the 02 CT is 43,8 mm. In measuring that might be considered a minor difference. In the feel of the whole neck, it is. The CES looks to have a standard nut with of 1 11/16 or 42,86 mm. Apperantly, the CT has a wider nut. May be a tad wider than usual/normal? In my feel, it is.
    Not as wide as my both Gretsch white falcons, but the L5CT Hutch neck feels certainly more sturdy, bigger throughout the neck.

Returning back to the OP post. I some see advantages of the newer L5 (wear, looks etc) and perhaps only one acoustic tonal advantage of the older 77. I myself would without hesitation go for the newer one.
    Last edited by hotpepper01; 01-07-2024 at 04:30 AM.