The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, my current home recording chain runs from the guitar to a Zoom G3Xn (emulating a Fender Twin) going into the sound card - not a bad tone but perhaps could be improved by using a more modern emulator. In my budget range (around €200) there are TC Electronic Combo Deluxe 65', Nux Amp Academy and Boss IR-2 (in Fender emulations). Is anyone here using one of these to get a clean jazz tone?
    Last edited by StefanoGhirardo; 01-05-2024 at 03:20 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StefanoGhirardo
    Hi, my current home recording chain runs from the guitar to a Zoom G3Xn (emulating a Fender Twin) going into the sound card - not a bad tone but perhaps could be improved by using a more modern emulator. In my budget range (around €200) there are TC Electronic Combo Deluxe 65' and Nux Amp Academy (in Fender emulations). Is anyone here using one of these to get a clean jazz tone?
    What DAW are you using to record? Most come with a collection of amp plugins (the ones on Garageband are excellent, for example) -- what about trying that before buying more gear?

User Info Menu

Thanks Tal_175, you're right. I'm also curious if anyone here has experience using the Boss IR-2.

Great point, John. I use Cakewalk, its emulators don't excite me, but maybe I could find better software alternatives. Until now I have preferred to use a physical emulator because I also use it in front of a small amplifier for practice. Another benefit I would like to pursue with this purchase is being able to easily adjust the sound with real knobs.

User Info Menu

Since I have had such a bad experience with TC Electronics, I always feel like I should say something.

I had a TC Nova delay. It broke after 6 months of easy use. I called them up. Their return policy was difficult to navigate.

They wanted me to ship it from the US to Canada. (Next is a sarcastic statement): being that so little TC gear is sold in the US, I can understand that.

They said I would have to replace the board, which would cost me almost the same as buying a new unit. I decided to move on to other delay. I decided against buying more TC stuff.

Years later I decided to forego my own rule and bought a Ditto 4. After a short time of mild use it broke.

Now, I will never buy another TC product no matter what.

I have lots of gear. Synths dating back to pre midi. Three-ish large boxes (two are super large, and then I have two medium one), filled with pedals. At the same time I have used Eventide pedals for years. Even my cheap analog EHX stuff last longer then TC expensive pedals.

Things can break, but my experience with TC was at the very extreme. The only worse experience was with Love pedals. That was due to A: goup-ing B: the maker never responding to my email. I now avoid goup-ing

User Info Menu

My Hall of Fame sounded great but died young; BAM200 is doing fine.

User Info Menu

Thanks st.bede, thanks Markku (ciao! :-) this is useful information!