The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Would appreciate experience comments on present day (or not present day) 1964 vs 1959 reissue 335s...

I play Jazz and Blues, some rock but nothing heavy. I know the necks are slightly difference and have played them both but anyone want to weigh in on tonal differences and preferences or gripes?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There's going to be variance from guitar to guitar but they have the same pickups (which people remark to have variance from set to set) and same construction. In other words, it's possible that two '59s will sound as dissimilar as a '64 and a '59. If I were you, I would try a bunch and make a decision based on sound, feel, and aesthetics.

If trying out guitars in person is not an option, Guitar Riot in OH has a massive selection of new Gibson 335s, and the shop owner, Brent, is just fantastic to work with. He actually picked out a 335 for me over the phone and picked the best sounding semihollow I've ever played. You should also ask him about pricing, he has flexibility and just all around very good to deal with.

User Info Menu

While i'm recommending shops, since you're in NYC, you should get yourself over to TR Crandall in LES. They have a 59 custom shop 335 that I've played. It sounded and played fantastic. You'll have a million amazing amps to play through also. And the crew there is super nice. Just introduce yourself at the front desk and you'll instantly make friends. Alex, Tom, and Scott are some of the most knowledgeable dealers I've met.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NYC
    Would appreciate experience comments on present day (or not present day) 1964 vs 1959 reissue 335s...

I play Jazz and Blues, some rock but nothing heavy. I know the necks are slightly difference and have played them both but anyone want to weigh in on tonal differences and preferences or gripes?
    Re general sound and handling there will be some slight differences but not a whole lot and totally dependent on personal preference- the main point however is the neck shape. The '59 version will have a rounded, DEEP and wide shape whereas on the '64 Reissue the neckshape is less deep. Besides this the shape of the horns changed and the tint of the sunburst finish but that's just for looks.

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    While i'm recommending shops, since you're in NYC, you should get yourself over to TR Crandall in LES. They have a 59 custom shop 335 that I've played. It sounded and played fantastic. You'll have a million amazing amps to play through also. And the crew there is super nice. Just introduce yourself at the front desk and you'll instantly make friends. Alex, Tom, and Scott are some of the most knowledgeable dealers I've met.
    I'll stop by TR. Haven't been in the shop but have heard nothing but amazing things about them. Do you have experience with the 61 reissue? I know the neck on that model is Much thinner than the 64 or 59. Experience with that? Poor for jazz or not necessarly?

User Info Menu

I hate skinny necks so I've never tried one.

User Info Menu

There's little to no point in speculating about the supposed tonal differences between necks imo, because what matters most is how much you like to play it. My friend's main guitar sounds amazing when he plays it, and junk when I do. It brings out the best in him and the worst in me. All that to reiterate what has already been said: Go out and play a bunch of guitars. Buy the one you love. Read the specs later.

By the way, I've only been to NYC twice, but I did go to a shop called Rudy's. Lots of beautiful jazz guitars there!

User Info Menu

I have no experience with the 59 Reissue, but I own a 2021 '64 Reissue ES 335 and love it. The tone, feel, looks. Everything. Works great for Blues / Jazz / Old School R&B.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NYC
    I'll stop by TR. Haven't been in the shop but have heard nothing but amazing things about them. Do you have experience with the 61 reissue? I know the neck on that model is Much thinner than the 64 or 59. Experience with that? Poor for jazz or not necessarly?
    I own a '63 ES-345 since 1983 and I played all kinds of gigs with this guitar, never had a problem dialing in the sounds I needed and liked. Yes, the neck on this one is wide but
    more shallow than in the years before but this never caused me any problems or dislikes. In fact, my fellow students at coservatory often commented on the fat and singing tone I got with
    that axe. It def. sounds rounder and more hollowbody than MOST other vintage ES-335/345/355 models I've had a chance to check out. It does NOT sound like Clapton's 1964 model and Carlton's
    1968 model also has a brighter tone, both sound more like a solidbody to my ears. Since the neck on that 345 is not as thick it's easy for me to move it around some and introduce a manual chorus-effect with chords that way, really neat !
    So it comes down to personal preferrence and what your heart, ears and fingers can coax out of any given guitar.