The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Garybaldy, didn't mean to be a wet blanket. You have scored a really nice one from a good year. I particularly like the figure of the maple and sunburst finish of the 1998 to 2005 James Hutchins Shop Foreman years. Hutch retired in 2005, I believe.

I play seated most of the time so have little use for a neck strap button. I have a headstock leather loop for those times when I need to use a strap.

That neck strap button in the cutaway will only cause the strap to chafe the heel of the neck and wear down the finish. It also gets in the way of the hand in the higher fret positions. I would take it to a good luthier and have the old screwmount hole filled, cleaned and covered up with an ebony inlay dot. It will be almost invisible when done well.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Garybaldy, didn't mean to be a wet blanket. You have scored a really nice one from a good year. I particularly like the figure of the maple and sunburst finish of the 1998 to 2005 James Hutchins Shop Foreman years. Hutch retired in 2005, I believe.

I play seated most of the time so have little use for a neck strap button. I have a headstock leather loop for those times when I need to use a strap.

That neck strap button in the cutaway will only cause the strap to chafe the heel of the neck and wear down the finish. It also gets in the way of the hand in the higher fret positions. I would take it to a good luthier and have the old screwmount hole filled, cleaned and covered up with an ebony inlay dot. It will be almost invisible when done well.
    Thank you for your kind words and helpful advice.

I just felt that I'd like to share that I bought this guitar on what would have been my dear Mum's 94th birhday. She passed last May. It would not have been possible without her help. Thanks Mum x

User Info Menu

My dear Mom passed 2 years ago at 95. Because of her I was able to buy this. Ironically it was delivered to me on her birthday so I believe it was a gift from her in Heaven. I named it after her…..Millie.

2005 Gibson L-5CES-img_1619-jpg2005 Gibson L-5CES-img_1606-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    My dear Mom passed 2 years ago at 95. Because of her I was able to buy this. Ironically it was delivered to me on her birthday so I believe it was a gift from her in Heaven. I named it after her…..Millie.
    Beautiful, Vinnie. Thank you for sharing. She’s special.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zigracer
    Beautiful. Looks just like the 2003 I just picked up. The only problem with mine that I haven't sorted, is that the pickup selector switch is loose, so it flops and rattles. The knurled nut won't spin either way without the whole switch spinning. I haven't yet put in the time to figure out the right way to hold the underside of the switch to keep it from spinning. Just a little too far from the neck pup hole to reach. There have been some good suggestions here through. How is yours?
    Very carefully remove the neck pickup, making sure to protect the top surface from dings or scratches, and that should give you better access. When I work inside guitars I like to see what I'm doing, so I bought an inexpensive 'professional industrial ENDOSCOPE', no affiliation but mine is a 'Depstech'. You hook it up to a laptop and it displays what it's pointed at. Takes a bit of practice, but sure beats dental mirrors and flashlights!
    Hope that helps for starters!
    I'm sure you'll get others to add texture here.
    Don't want to derail the OPs (Garybaldy's) thread. Others have posted on this issue so you might search the forum, and or start a new thread in the repair department (ie., 'builders bench').

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    I just looked up your thread. Our L5s are very similar. Shame you have an issue with the switch. Hope you get it resolved. Are you saying the knurled nut is stuck mid
    threaded staff? Sounds tricky.
    Early days with mine yet. It's so easy to play. I recently tried a 2016 Wes mo and was surprised that when fretting both 2 e strings they slipped off the neck. I thought it was me but my L5 definitely doesn't suffer that problem.
    I need to change the strings. It came with a custom set with the same gauges as the Rich Severson set but using roundwounds. I like the guages but would prefer flats. I'll probably try TI Swings first.
    I had a 2016 Memphis ES-175 Figured that had the high E way to close to the edge of the fingerboard due to a poorly cut nut. It was from the CME blowout around that time. I returned it and wound up with a VOS 59 175 for a few hundred more.

Big congrats, that L5 is super nice enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by 73Fender
    I had a 2016 Memphis ES-175 Figured that had the high E way to close to the edge of the fingerboard due to a poorly cut nut. It was from the CME blowout around that time. I returned it and wound up with a VOS 59 175 for a few hundred more.

Big congrats, that L5 is super nice enjoy.
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Beautiful L-5, Gary. Wow. May you enjoy it for years to come!

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    Beautiful L-5, Gary. Wow. May you enjoy it for years to come!
    Thank you

User Info Menu

Congratulations! Gibson L5 NGD’s have become rare since their price increases. But I don’t blame sellers for pricing them with the market. Shockingly even Heritage sellers have increased their prices!