The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

New-Old Guitar Day!

Back story:
    After being out of the area for many years (school, life, etc.), I had moved home to Southern California back in 2000, and started meeting local jazzers, etc. One of my new buddies at the time introduced me to luthier CB Hill in Huntington Beach; around 2002/03 I ordered my first-ever, custom guitar from CB -- a 16", laminated "Pacific Clipper" semi-hollowbody model! A wonderful guitar!! Some years later, though, and before moving to my current home, I sold it to a friend in LA who was in the original "Jimmy Bruno School" with me (some of you here may even recall So Cal students getting together and flying Jimmy out to hang -- what a blast!). Well ... this past year .. I happened to reach out to the friend for some other business, and I asked her if she still had the CB guitar [Note: CB has retired recently due to some health issues]. She said, "Yes," and it was "sitting in the closet," since she wasn't really playing jazz anymore. I told her to call me if she ever wanted to sell it! Some months went by, and she called! We worked out a good deal, and I am reunited with my "first baby!" [I called CB and let him know - he was pleased!] Some of the electronics were a bit worn, so local master Ryan Thorell fixed it up, and also put in a new BareKnuckle humbucker-sized P-90 (one of my faves!), so it sounds great, and is in pretty sweet condition for being 20 years old! Can't wait for my next gig!

Pics [looks kinda "red," but it's a "violin" color in person]:

N-OGD! CB Hill content!-cb-front-jpgN-OGD! CB Hill content!-cb-close-jpgN-OGD! CB Hill content!-cb-side-jpgN-OGD! CB Hill content!-cb-back-jpgN-OGD! CB Hill content!-cb-backside-jpgN-OGD! CB Hill content!-cb-bridge-jpg

Marc

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very nice. What makes it a "semi?"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Very nice. What makes it a "semi?"
    Thanks! There's a block in the center.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Thanks! There's a block in the center.
    Thanks, I figured, but how big/long? Its appearance as a full acoustic is deceiving without the bridge posts or stop bar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Thanks, I figured, but how big/long? Its appearance as a full acoustic is deceiving without the bridge posts or stop bar.
    Cool - I'll look in and see what I can see!

User Info Menu

Great love story! I recently put the Bare Knuckles Manhattan humbucker sized P90 in my Trenier and it's wonderful. Great dynamic range from deepest bass to highest treble. Brings out that same quality in the guitar. Anyway may you two live happily ever after.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstove
    Great love story! I recently put the Bare Knuckles Manhattan humbucker sized P90 in my Trenier and it's wonderful. Great dynamic range from deepest bass to highest treble. Brings out that same quality in the guitar. Anyway may you two live happily ever after.

Thanks! [and yes, I really dig the Manhattans!]

User Info Menu

Cool - I'll look in and see what I can see!
    @Woody -- here's a pic (sort of) of the inside; you can see the center block (inside to the left), which runs all the way up and down. I can't really see how/where it's attached, though.

N-OGD! CB Hill content!-cb-center-jpg

User Info Menu

Always enjoy watching/hearing Ronnie on his CB:

User Info Menu

Always enjoy watching/hearing Ronnie on his CB:

He gets some amazing sustain from this guitar so I guess it's a semi-hollowbody like yours ?
    The Bossa-treatment of this tune is nice, Wes did it the same way.

He gets some amazing sustain from this guitar so I guess it's a semi-hollowbody like yours ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    If you have some time, here is a fun interview where he discusses some of his work (and yes, the "2-5-1" model Ronnie has is also semi-hollow):