The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

I just got a tip that the Gibson Deluxe Protector Case for the J-185 is a perfect fit for a 16” Gibson archtop. I haven’t tried it myself, but I’ve seen photos.

Gibson | Deluxe Protector Case, J-185

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's not very expensive compared to other cases but the deal-breaker for me is the lack of a carrying strap : there are no visible O-rings etc to hook a strap on.

User Info Menu

Can you fit a full depth archtop into a case that's only 3.13" deep?

User Info Menu

I don’t know how they measured the depth. I’ve seen pics of two different 16” Gibson made guitars in one of these cases and the fit looks perfect. I’m going to find out first hand. I’ll report my findings.

User Info Menu

Good luck!

User Info Menu

i tried a similar thing recently.

bought a gibson branded 16" case for a J185. was told it would fit L4.
    so it comes, nice case. i try it out. tried a '32 L5, a '36 L4, and an epi 2014 es175 premium.
    none worked.

prob appeared to be the walls of the accessory pocket were too high for an archie. on all the guitars, the neck angled up over the pocket lid to the point that the lid was propped open. closing the lid put too much pressure on the neck, and likely the neck joint too. if i shimmed up the body enough to more level out the neck, the bridge then hit the underside of the lid.

i considered keeping the case and cutting down the wall height of the accessory compartment. dealer was good about it all, said just send it back. so i did.
    so FWIW...

User Info Menu

That is an ugly-ass case though! Give me a road-worn California girl that looks good sitting around.

User Info Menu

Ugly as sin! A Hiscox Dreadnaught works for sure and looks a damn sight better.

User Info Menu

I’m happy to report that it fits 16” Gibson mad archtops beautifully. The form fit around the sides is perfect and it can actually handle a guitar up to the depth of the depression era, Ambassador branded guitar in the last pic which has a depth of 3.9 inches. That is at its upper limit for depth. The published depth is actually only for the bottom. As can be seen there is additional depth in the top.

From what I can see, this case will provide excellent protection for travel or gigging. I would estimate much better than a traditional hard case. As for looks, it’s not the best by any means, but who really wants their case catching people’s attention. Lastly, sorry, Jabs, but I personally don’t think the Hiscox cases are any more aesthetically appealing.

User Info Menu

That pretty ES-150 looks so fine nestled within. OK, just don't close the lid. All is forgiven.