The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

For the price of two S1s, you can buy, or almost buy, an L1.

Based on limited experience, I'd rather have an L1 for a PA.

But, for guitar, a single S1 is pretty good with the right rig.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I think I'm stuck between QSC and a Bose S1. I'm too conservative to go with one of these columns.
    At only 17 pounds, the Bose unit seems like a very good deal just for that reason alone. But I've never heard or used one, so I can't offer any thoughts beyond this. SETH

User Info Menu

I been using Yamaha DXR10's, the older version, since 2018, when PA isn't provided. They have given reliable service over many hundreds of gigs and rehearsals. They have quite a bit of power, def enough for a jazz combo, and are comparable in sound quality to the QSC stuff, which I have also used a lot of at gigs where P.A is provided. They are reasonable to carry and compact enough in size for my needs.

Yes, the QSC stuff is better, but only marginally so and they are substantially more money. Some of the QSC's have LCD screens on the back which strikes me as something that is easily damaged and indeed I have seen one or two where the screen was cracked. I do not know if the newer DXR stuff has an LCD screen or not.

As for mics, I always bring a Shure Beta 58 to every gig I do. As for proximity to the mic....you should have enough wattage to allow you to work the mic close in or far away, depending on how much air your are pushing. If you have to be right on the mic all night, you're doing it wrong. It's the same thing as having enough wattage for your guitar amp to be able to pick softy and get on top of the band during your solos. I also have them crank my vocal monitor all the way until it squeals and then roll it back...because I can always back off the mic if I'm too loud in my monitor. This way I have the juice to get across during soft vocal sections.

Great to hear you are still pushing forward with your music Allen. My best to you in '24.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    I been using Yamaha DXR10's, the older version, since 2018, when PA isn't provided. They have given reliable service over many hundreds of gigs and rehearsals. They have quite a bit of power, def enough for a jazz combo, and are comparable in sound quality to the QSC stuff, which I have also used a lot of at gigs where P.A is provided. They are reasonable to carry and compact enough in size for my needs.

Yes, the QSC stuff is better, but only marginally so and they are substantially more money. Some of the QSC's have LCD screens on the back which strikes me as something that is easily damaged and indeed I have seen one or two where the screen was cracked. I do not know if the newer DXR stuff has an LCD screen or not.

As for mics, I always bring a Shure Beta 58 to every gig I do. As for proximity to the mic....you should have enough wattage to allow you to work the mic close in or far away, depending on how much air your are pushing. If you have to be right on the mic all night, you're doing it wrong. It's the same thing as having enough wattage for your guitar amp to be able to pick softy and get on top of the band during your solos. I also have them crank my vocal monitor all the way until it squeals and then roll it back...because I can always back off the mic if I'm too loud in my monitor. This way I have the juice to get across during soft vocal sections.

Great to hear you are still pushing forward with your music Allen. My best to you in '24.

Thanks, another one to keep an eye out for on Craigslist/FB Marketplace/ Guitar Center.

I bring a SM57 with me. I feel like it makes my voice less boomy than a 58.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I think I'm stuck between QSC and a Bose S1. I'm too conservative to go with one of these columns.
    BTW, I see that in the Bose specs, they claim the system is "1,100 watts." Then a little further down, they note that it's "1,100 peak watts." To paraphrase an old saying, "What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

As I've noted before, 1,110 peak watts is probably around 500 RMS watts, which is the real-world wattage of the system. That's still more than enough horsepower to fill almost any medium-sized room, so no worries there. But it's a shame that Bose also participates in the "peak wattage" baloney (yet another pet peeve of mine).

The ironic thing is that, as far as I know, doubling the wattage doesn't double the volume. So there's no actual volume advantage involved in claiming 1,100 watts. As I understand it, you would need about a 10x increase in wattage in order to double the decibels. Maybe one of the physicist-guitarists on this forum can clarify this? SETH

User Info Menu

Well, I went out to my garage and my old Peavey KB300 still works, so I'm going to lug this heavy beast around for a few months until something comes up used or I get enough gigs to pay for a speaker.

I've got analysis paralysis and I just have to walk away.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SethB
    BTW, I see that in the Bose specs, they claim the system is "1,100 watts." Then a little further down, they note that it's "1,100 peak watts." To paraphrase an old saying, "What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

As I've noted before, 1,110 peak watts is probably around 500 RMS watts, which is the real-world wattage of the system. That's still more than enough horsepower to fill almost any medium-sized room, so no worries there. But it's a shame that Bose also participates in the "peak wattage" baloney (yet another pet peeve of mine).

The ironic thing is that, as far as I know, doubling the wattage doesn't double the volume. So there's no actual volume advantage involved in claiming 1,100 watts. As I understand it, you would need about a 10x increase in wattage in order to double the decibels. Maybe one of the physicist-guitarists on this forum can clarify this? SETH
    If volume is the issue, the EV Everse 8 is reportedly significantly louder than the Bose S1, although the stated max SPL seems to be widely disbelieved. I currently have them both and I'm trying to decide which to keep (leaning towards keeping the EV at the moment). The Everse has a lot more features, including 7 band EQ, compared with the S1's two band. That strikes me as meaningful -- I'm not sure about the various FX and compression. I haven't figured out the significance of the difference in dispersion specs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    For a singing guitarist or a guitar/vocals duo, there's a lot of two-channel troubadour amps to choose from. A lot less to lug, if you can leave your guitar amp home. The Bose-style single column systems work for sure. You can get used PA rigs for small money, but sounds like overkilling (at least your back) in your case.

My solution slots between Bose-style and traditional, heavy, PA speaker pairs. I'm using an old Yamaha Stagepas 200 mixer amp and a pair of Toob Metro 6.5FR II+ full-range cabs. The + version comes with a stand mount with 3/8" UNC thread and 1/4" UNC adapter. The speakers handle 130W each and weigh a tad over 4 lbs. Lightweight light stands are all they need. Behringer makes a similar mixer amp (with phantom power). You can also use a mini-mixer and a micro power amp. The whole set weighs around 15 lbs.

The attached photo is from my son's 50th birthday last August. An all-Toob night. One of the two PA speakers in view (far left, orange rims.) It's Anu Sin (vocals), Henrik Laine (bass), my younger son Mikko (drums), elder son Tuomas (lead guitar) and grandson Ohto (rhythm guitar.) I won't pester you with a video, because it was all rawk. The upright Metro on the floor served as a monitor for the drummer and vocalist.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I guess I have to make the disclaimer about financial interest in Toobs and Metros again.
    I'm so envious!
    I have 4 children and, as well as me being steeped in guitar and bass doing gigs playing jazz, country, 'rawk', pop etc etc, and the mother of 3 of them being a piano, flute and clarinette teacher, none of them has taken up any instrument (in earnest). I would have loved to see them performing music and even in a band with there old man!
    I can be grateful, though, that they are all good human beings!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    If volume is the issue, the EV Everse 8 is reportedly significantly louder than the Bose S1, although the stated max SPL seems to be widely disbelieved. I currently have them both and I'm trying to decide which to keep (leaning towards keeping the EV at the moment). The Everse has a lot more features, including 7 band EQ, compared with the S1's two band. That strikes me as meaningful -- I'm not sure about the various FX and compression. I haven't figured out the significance of the difference in dispersion specs.
    Nice video for the Everse. It's great to see more suppliers getting into this market. I'd love to hear more about your experiences.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Nice video for the Everse. It's great to see more suppliers getting into this market. I'd love to hear more about your experiences.
    The first time I A/B'ed it against the Little Jazz I thought the Everse was better. The next time I tried it, I thought the opposite.

The question I'm asking now is if the Everse has a little bit of harshness to the sound -- like the classic problem (if I understand it correctly) of plugging a guitar right into a PA.

And, then, can it be addressed with EQ or cab simulation or IRs or whatever.

But, we're talking about small differences. It's not like any of the options sound bad.

My current thought is to trade in my ME80 for an ME90 because the ME90 has, reportedly, better preamps and IRs.

Another thought is to give up on the idea of using a powered speaker for guitar and just get a guitar amp.