The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So as many of you know, I'm smitten with the 7 string and I absolutely love the sound of my Palen 7. It really is a dream guitar for me and it's always what I reach for first. But I got this L-5, and the sweet sound that comes out of that combination of carved top and 57 classics is just soooo sweet. This is just a pipe dream, but if Gibson made the L-5 in a 7 string version, I might feel that I died and went to heaven. Just had to share this.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

They did make a 7-string Super 400CES at least once, but maybe your name needed to be Tony Mottola to get them to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

You might be able to get Mark Campillone to do one for you.

User Info Menu

The wildest thing about that Tony Mottola 7-string S-400 is that it has 24 frets!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Benedetto makes some guitars with similar construction, but no-one that I know of makes a 7 string ‘57 classic pickup.

User Info Menu

They also made this strange short scale 7-string Super 400 with a small body.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zigracer
    Benedetto makes some guitars with similar construction, but no-one that I know of makes a 7 string ‘57 classic pickup.
    Benedetto 16-b fits that niche very nicely. It comes in a 7 string and I put a duncan 59 into one and it's SO comfortable with the warm PAF sound and solid top response I love about the L-5. The neck is also very comfortable.
    I wish Gibson made an L-5 7 string-screen-shot-2023-12-31-7-51-38-am-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Mark is adamant about his abstainance from the 7 string world. I've asked/pleaded with him repeatedly. I have had 2 Campellone 6 strings which I had loved but now that I play 7, I got rid of. They were inspiringly perfect instruments to my hands, but felt incomplete without a low string.
    Mark said it wasn't worth the time to restructure his production for a 7. So I found the Benedetto B-16 to have what I needed in a solid top 7 string with a set in pickup.
    The day Mark decides he'll build a 7, he'll have my order, and I dare say enough others to create his next batch.
    We'll have to wait for that day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan

They also made this strange short scale 7-string Super 400 with a small body.

Wow! It's perfect! Yeah long gone are the days that Gibson had the desire or the ability to do custom work like this. Lucky for us, there are others who do excellent work without the Gibson headstock.