The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 41

User Info Menu

I know I have posted on this tired theme one too many times, but potential buyer has me thinking. I've really come around to the LeGrand. This one is is ideal in every way, except for the purple case bleed. Local buyer who is considering purchasing it said--without having had a play through yet-the first thing he would do is send it to Gibson Custom shop for a refinish. Maybe I should do this myself and keep it? I'm not even sure the refinish shop would address this job. Any thoughts appreciated, thank you.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images 2007 LeGrand Refinish-g2-jpg 2007 LeGrand Refinish-g1-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

By all means I’d keep the guitar if it were mine. The finish doesn’t effect the tone.

User Info Menu

how much would that cost??

what would get refinished? the whole guitar? top, back sides and neck?

User Info Menu

As a player it doesn’t matter at all. If it makes you feel better, I ended up buying a Martin OM21Special on which I accidentally cracked the back. I didn’t even get to try it out, Lol!

That guitar has been with me for around 15 years and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
    how much would that cost??

what would get refinished? the whole guitar? top, back sides and neck?
    Just checked with Gibson shop, quick response but indication of what this would involve. Custom Shop rep said he couldn't believe his eyes. I assume just the rims???

User Info Menu

It sure would not bother me a bit. It is zero of an issue except to say the finish is just not mint. It is not a crack, ding, broken headstock, and would cost a lot of money to refinish. My guess is way more than $500 (rims only) plus any shipping and the rest. To refinish the whole guitar that would be huge expense. To question is what the guitar would sell for now verses if no color bleeding. Then figure the cost to get it corrected, no way you win. How does it sound is my question. My Legrand sounds great and a winner. If this is a winner, I would get over the small discoloration.

User Info Menu

I don't know how far it penetrated the plastic but I'd consider a binding scrape first.

User Info Menu

Does Mark Campellone take refinish commissions? He does the finest work, very worthy of a LeGrand.
    It won't be cheap. Stripping finish to the wood is tedious and time consuming.
    How deep does this discolouration go? Can it be addressed without a complete re-finish?

Another solution is: "Don't look down when you're playing". In other words, that finish is part of a fully functional and somewhat aged and cured guitar at this point. Does that 'character' prevent it from being in every way, the player's instrument it could be.
    Of course it you want the perfection of a collector's piece, maybe the added cost of refinishing that one could be better spent on a pristine custom build?

User Info Menu

A legrand is what, $10,000? If it's from the case Gibson sent it in, they should refinish it for free and apologize for the issue.

"Don't look down when your playing" is fine for an Epiphone Joe Pass.... but come on.

User Info Menu

Call Mark Campellone - he knows a guy that did all the finish repairs for Gibson then was the top finish guy for Benedetto. Now he has his own shop where he specializes in nitrocellulose finish repairs.

I forgot his name but his website photos were very impressive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I don't know how far it penetrated the plastic but I'd consider a binding scrape first.
    Look into this obvious solution first. A good luthier can remove finish from binding very skillfully. It's kind of SOP for edging masking jobs where colour finish is applied over a binding that's later white finished. Even scrape over the binding; I have a feeling it hasn't penetrated the plastic binding itself, and clear finish over that.
    Old guitars with off-gassed plastic bindings undergo the much more radical routing of old binding removal, the new binding and purfling layers re-set and reglued and clear coated. Skillfully done, it looks perfect. And that's a whole lot more meticulous and labour intensive than stripping back a thin amound of discoloured clear coat on that binding.

Look into this option before you even think about any kind of refinishing. Doesn't hurt to inquire.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    "Don't look down when your playing" is fine for an Epiphone Joe Pass.... but come on.
    That was a joke
    I know you don't own a guitar like that and simply ignore it. It reminds me of the Beevis and Butthead comment "If I was a girl, I'd get naked and look at myself in the mirror all day." What's all the pretty good for if you're not gonna look at it? Well if I had a spectacular guitar, I wouldn't let a blemish keep me from playing with myself. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Call Mark Campellone - he knows a guy that did all the finish repairs for Gibson then was the top finish guy for Benedetto. Now he has his own shop where he specializes in nitrocellulose finish repairs.

I forgot his name but his website photos were very impressive.
    Just messaged Mark. Thank you, Vinny.

User Info Menu

I had a long discussion about this with Mark C. That staining is only lacquer deep and a simple fix. Scrap the binding and re-shoot, blend, and buff. Not a big deal like some may think.
    Under a grand to make a pedigree guitar that is no longer made perfect again.
    It is the responsible thing to do if you are going to be a good steward and caretaker of a top of the line instrument.

I know Mark has got several requests to rebind some D’A’s and D’AQ’s and re-lacquer so that’s OK but not on a Gibson ?

Of course he is too busy but this guy he knows specializes in that.

User Info Menu

The finish on the binding should not be hard to re-do. My ES-175 had yellow stains on the binding that I was able to repair without too much difficulty. Certainly no whole-guitar re-finish was needed.
    2007 LeGrand Refinish-before-after-composite-jpg

I had a long discussion about this with Mark C. That staining is only lacquer deep and a simple fix. Scrap the binding and re-shoot, blend, and buff. Not a big deal like some may think.
    It is the responsible thing to do if you are going to be a good steward and caretaker of a top of the line instrument.

I know Mark has got several requests to rebind some D’A’s and D’AQ’s and re-lacquer so that’s OK but not on a Gibson ?

Well put, Vinny. Maybe not so much an issue of looking past it as it is minding the pedigree line. Yes! Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    The finish on the binding should not be hard to re-do. My ES-175 had yellow stains on the binding that I was able to repair without too much difficulty. Certainly no whole-guitar re-finish was needed.
    2007 LeGrand Refinish-before-after-composite-jpg
    How did you address it?

User Info Menu

The issue is that we see guitars not only as tools but art. I have wrenches and hammers that show a lot of wear. I haven't replaced them because they work. OTOH, I've spent a lot of money on cosmetics with guitars.

I've had binding scraped and resprayed with clear just because strap and case stains bothered me. It's probably no less neurotic than paying to have a guitar relicked.

Mark provided a thoughtful response. Matt Eady is his go-to for this. Matt is in GA, neighboring state, which may make the process easier. No word from Gibson yet, but emailed Matt with pictures and will see. Thanks again, all, for the comments.

User Info Menu

Can you remind me - who is the case manufacturer?

AKA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    Can you remind me - who is the case manufacturer?

AKA
    Cedar creek, though not sure if others have the same issue.

User Info Menu

Cedar Creek is a repeat offender.

User Info Menu

I have some discoloration on my 2005 Wes.
    Initially, it bothered me. But over time you just accept it. I've learned that little things like binding discoloration, little dings or any similar imperfections should NEVER have an effect on how you think or feel about the guitar. If it does, its your own brain doing that and its not fair to the guitar.
    Unless you buy a guitar, and display it as Art and never play or tinker with it, things are bound to happen. And yes, it does affect the value to some extent. But, for the most part, if the guitar is offered for a fair price, a potential buyer isnt gonna care one bit. As long as you play it, and get enjoyment out of it, that comes with a cost. So you dont turn a profit on it or even get your money back? So what.. It is still Gibson, and it will always be a highly valued guitar. Just keep it clean like you do. And cherish it. I cant tell you how many people would give there left nut to own that guitar in its current state. Stressing over condition issues, is just ruining your time with this absolute world class guitar.
    Dont make the same mistakes I've made. Just enjoy the guitar.
    IF Johnny knew that I was stressing the couple of dings I have in my GJS, he would probably drive his Airplane through my head! Did you see the picture of his workhorse D'Angelico?
    Just enjoy the guitar.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    The issue is that we see guitars not only as tools but art. I have wrenches and hammers that show a lot of wear. I haven't replaced them because they work. OTOH, I've spent a lot of money on cosmetics with guitars.

I've had binding scraped and resprayed with clear just because strap and case stains bothered me. It's probably no less neurotic than paying to have a guitar relicked.
    Yeah, but wrenches and hammers don't cost $10,000. A modern Epiphone is a tool, a Gibson LeGrand is more than that.

User Info Menu

A fly just walked across the top of my LeGrand leaving a trail of dirty fly footprints in its wake. I think it just came from stomping all over a pile of shit because I can't polish that stuff off. Do I need to refinish my LeGrand? Cuz. I am a good steward. Because it is a trail of shit. E. coli. Yeech!