The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Yeah, but wrenches and hammers don't cost $10,000. A modern Epiphone is a tool, a Gibson LeGrand is more than that.
    The LeGrand will cost even more if it is refinished. It may be worth it to the owner though.

I've had a Cedar Creek case bleed on a nice archtop, a Heritage Golden Eagle. It wasn't just the binding though. I told the guy who bought it to think of them as angel kisses or some other pleasant imagery. There was no way to get the red out without refinishing the rims, and the refinishing wouldn't match the slight yellowing of the rest of the guitar. Fortunately the guy saw the red, didn't care, and bought it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've got to go with "to each his own" Some value as art, some as tools, some in between. Make yourself happy. You never have to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    I've got to go with "to each his own" Some value as art, some as tools, some in between. Make yourself happy. You never have to explain.
    Good conclusion. Clearly two camps here-stewardship in terms of a work of art for an instrument that is no longer in production, and get over it-I'm in the first camp, I think, probably the minority of us here.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    The LeGrand will cost even more if it is refinished. It may be worth it to the owner though.

I've had a Cedar Creek case bleed on a nice archtop, a Heritage Golden Eagle. It wasn't just the binding though. I told the guy who bought it to think of them as angel kisses or some other pleasant imagery. There was no way to get the red out without refinishing the rims, and the refinishing wouldn't match the slight yellowing of the rest of the guitar. Fortunately the guy saw the red, didn't care, and bought it.
    I had the same result with my Super 400 thread from two years ago, the infamous green bleed from CC case. Sold it locally to a buyer who didn't care in the least, not a terrible loss on my end, and a happy buyer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    Good conclusion. Clearly two camps here-stewardship in terms of a work of art for an instrument that is no longer in production, and get over it-I'm in the first camp, I think, probably the minority of us here.
    I don't think your in the minority. I see many folks more concerned with the "art" than anything else. That's totally fine. I think in the end it brings us pleasure no matter the reason.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I have some discoloration on my 2005 Wes.
    Initially, it bothered me. But over time you just accept it. I've learned that little things like binding discoloration, little dings or any similar imperfections should NEVER have an effect on how you think or feel about the guitar. If it does, its your own brain doing that and its not fair to the guitar.
    Unless you buy a guitar, and display it as Art and never play or tinker with it, things are bound to happen. And yes, it does affect the value to some extent. But, for the most part, if the guitar is offered for a fair price, a potential buyer isnt gonna care one bit. As long as you play it, and get enjoyment out of it, that comes with a cost. So you dont turn a profit on it or even get your money back? So what.. It is still Gibson, and it will always be a highly valued guitar. Just keep it clean like you do. And cherish it. I cant tell you how many people would give there left nut to own that guitar in its current state. Stressing over condition issues, is just ruining your time with this absolute world class guitar.
    Dont make the same mistakes I've made. Just enjoy the guitar.
    IF Johnny knew that I was stressing the couple of dings I have in my GJS, he would probably drive his Airplane through my head! Did you see the picture of his workhorse D'Angelico?
    Just enjoy the guitar.
    Joe D
    I can't believe my eyes. Is this the new Max405 2024? Welcome to the dark side Joe, and Merry Christmas!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    I wouldn't be concerned with what people have to say about it, it's your guitar, a rare one at that, and I totally get that you want it to be perfect.

Moreover, a purple tinge is a lot different from routine age yellowing, which would never bother me.

If it bothers you, you will never unsee it. Make it right, and then beat it up with your own playing!

User Info Menu

Never should a guitar be abused and not taken care of, but the fact is they are made to be played. If we play the guitar over any long span of time and hours, it will not look new and mint. In some rare cases guitars can look pretty minty even after many years but they are few and far exceptions. Nothing wrong with a guitar that is in nice or excellent condition after 20 plus years of play. My guitars that I have owned would meet the definition. However, I have had to be very careful and take precautions and even then, things can happen.

My point is buying a mint or new guitar and then simply not playing it or only using it sometimes it crazy. I bought my guitars to play, and I am a player first and foremost. I find that especially on older Gibson's and Epi's from the 1950's and before, that the look of a well taken care of guitar that has been play is cool. If it looks completely mint and buffed out new, I might say it was either refinished or nobody like the guitar. The tail of one finding a prize guitar under the bed or stashed in a closet because the owner bought it new and then died a week later, are mostly tails. When a dealer presents a guitar found under the bed and the family just keep it in the case for 40 years never played, I start see alarm bells. Sure, it happens but completely rare and almost nonexistent in the internet age. People check these things now and can find out much on their own.

So, to my friend Tom who I know, get this Legrand out of the case and play it every day even a little bit. I think the guitar is still easily worth in private sale plenty of money with a slight knock off price for colors in the binding.

User Info Menu

That wouldn’t bother me at all. Part of the history.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    A fly just walked across the top of my LeGrand leaving a trail of dirty fly footprints in its wake. I think it just came from stomping all over a pile of shit because I can't polish that stuff off. Do I need to refinish my LeGrand? Cuz. I am a good steward. Because it is a trail of shit. E. coli. Yeech!
    What an idiotic post. Why bother?

User Info Menu

The tail of one finding a prize guitar under the bed or stashed in a closet because the owner bought it new and then died a week later, are mostly tails. When a dealer presents a guitar found under the bed and the family just keep it in the case for 40 years never played, I start see alarm bells. Sure, it happens but completely rare and almost nonexistent in the internet age.

Mark,

I agree it's rare, but it happened with me. This 18" Heritage Johnny Smith was mint and under Don Dean's bed when Don died. His wife gave it to Don's friend to sell. I drove to Kentucky to check it out. I was actually interested in it for Max405. The seller played pedal steel guitar for Elvis back in the day. Don Dean and of course Scotty Moore were close to Elvis. I had dinner with Don and his wife and listened to their stories. I brought the guitar home that night then learned Max405 bought another Heritage Johnny Smith the night before or that day. Long story short, it is my favorite guitar.

Here is a photo of Don Dean playing the guitar.

Scotty Moore - Don Dean

Here is a video playing said guitar.

User Info Menu

Tom,
    Please don’t take what I said to be anything else but, just don’t sweat it.
    You are a really good dude, I don’t want to see you stress over this. And that is a BEAUTIFUL guitar.
    I have always wanted one. They are out of my league.
    Those binding stains mean nothing on that guitar. The guitar is still world class.
    I apologize if you took what I said as a judgement or a criticism. It wasn’t. I was trying to make you see the good in it.
    That’s all.
    And there is a ALOT of good in it!
    Joe D
    Ps.. Martygrass, thanks for reposting my video. That is a tremendously strong guitar. Yet it plays like butter.
    Merry Christmas.

Tom,
    You are a really good dude, I don’t want to see you stress over this. And that is a BEAUTIFUL guitar.
    Those binding stains mean nothing on that guitar. The guitar is still world class.
    I apologize if you took what I said as a judgement or a criticism. It wasn’t. I was trying to make you see the good in it.
    That’s all.
    Joe D
    Ps.. Martygrass, thanks for reposting my video. That is a tremendously strong guitar. Yet it plays like butter.
    Merry Christmas.
    Merry Christmas, Joe! No apology necessary, none at all! I posted the question because I always appreciate the insight, yours, and others who have far more experience and perspective than I do as a relative newcomer here. I said in a message the other day that the insight is continually priceless. Thanksgiving season time for thanks and gratitude is already past, but as we head into 2024, good time to note how much I appreciate the advice and conversation here, on this post and many others prior. Thank you! Time for another play through with the Legrand--I do see the good here-and was thinking last night how much we take on upon ourselves with archtop ownership--price, possession and space (I still have too many), stewardship, musical endeavor, etc..a lot...
    Tom

User Info Menu

Tom,
    That’s all.
    Joe D
    Merry Christmas.
    Joe,
    Your comments were perfect with experience behind them, and where you are on your leg of the journey. No judgment or criticism detected. It was not always so. I at times have a hard time understanding my own cosmetic convictions, as they have little to do with music, or the playing experience, once they are out of the way. We are all in different places.

User Info Menu

A top of the line guitar is beautiful art that makes beautiful music.
    Basically a beautiful tool just like a high end car.
    Some people will wash, wax, and ceramic coat their Porsche. Others will just beat the crap out of it then buy another.
    We all have a different value system.

To me what is really stupid is buying a relic or Murphy lab guitar.
    That is like buying a new car with dents and scratches.
    Honest and natural play wear is a badge of honor for your hours of dedication to the instrument.

If you have a thorn in your side that bothers you pull it out. If it doesn’t leave it in.

On a very sad note my buddy and luthier for almost 50 years, Frank Ford owner of Gryphon Stringed Instruments passed on Sunday.
    He will be sorely missed.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 12-21-2023 at 01:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Joe,
    Your comments were perfect with experience behind them, and where you are on your leg of the journey. No judgment or criticism detected. It was not always so. I at times have a hard time understanding my own cosmetic convictions, as they have little to do with music, or the playing experience, once they are out of the way. We are all in different places.
    Skiboy,
    You are good dude. You are right. So right. The cosmetics have so little to do with the music. Just ask Tuck Andress. Or Willie Nelson..
    Thanks Buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    A top of the line guitar is beautiful art that makes beautiful music.
    Basically a beautiful tool just like a high end car.
    Some people will wash, wax, and ceramic coat their Porsche. Others will just beat the crap out of it then buy another.
    We all have a different value system.

To me what is really stupid is buying a relic or Murphy lab guitar.
    That is like buying a new car with dents and scratches.
    Honest and natural play wear is a badge of honor for your hours of dedication to the instrument.

If you have a thorn in your side that bothers you pull it out. If it doesn’t leave it in.

On a very sad note my buddy and luthier for almost 50 years, Frank Ford owner of Gryphon Stringed Instruments passed on Sunday.
    He will be sorely missed.
    Hi Vinny,
    I'm Sorry bro.
    Frank will always be a legend in his field. In this life we all try to do good, but most us (well me anyway) never quite reach legendary status in anything. Frank did.
    So, even if I dont need it anymore, Whenever I need to tweak intonation on an Archtop, I will continue to go on the the internet and look up Archtop Intonation, and the FRETS Instructions will pop up.
    Legend..
    L,J