The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

This is a single very short recording with two very different mixes back to back. Do you hear the difference? Any preference?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice!

"B" sounded "bigger."

User Info Menu

Nice sounds. I like A better. Too much treble in B for me.

User Info Menu

B is better. More definition.

User Info Menu

I can't decide, both sound great. When my musician wife of now 40+ years was going through her divorce, her lawyer used to say "stay away from minutia. Look at the big picture."

You sound great. I've mentioned this before. I studied clarinet a bit with a well known reed pedagogue. He taught players from Basie to Maynard. Don't want to drop names.,

His mantra was, there's nothing wrong with using a softer reed (read strings). You have to learn to control it, but once you do, you have more control.

User Info Menu

Interesting responses, thanks.

I posted this on TGP and even with both sites, the sample size is pretty small but it's also split right down the middle. The first mix is the direct signal from the guitar with a bit of EQ and verb. The second one has the same track blended with a second track with an acoustic/mic IR.

The beauty of all of this is that it's all done after the fact and has no impact on the actual recording, so I can play with it to my heart's content.

User Info Menu

Through shitty phone speakers, I liked A. B was a little harsh on the top end.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Through shitty phone speakers, I liked A. B was a little harsh on the top end.
    One thing about A that I like ... It's no work at all. Basically just plug it in and play. Maybe a bit of EQ to make sure the low end doesn't boom.

User Info Menu

A sounds more natural to me. B is modern piezo piercing.

User Info Menu

I prefer B as it has more air around the notes like those captured by a microphone. I was about to ask if you used a Tonedexter because it sounded like a dry/wet blend. A sounds DI-ed, lacking air.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 12-22-2023 at 12:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Ok, got a chance to listen thru good headphones.

I still like A, but...the bass is much more articulate in B. But the top end in B is very brittle and piezo sounding.

User Info Menu

Caveat: I can't hear much above 12KHz any longer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    One thing about A that I like ... It's no work at all. Basically just plug it in and play. Maybe a bit of EQ to make sure the low end doesn't boom.
    Jim, Go with A then. This gives you extra time to be the Artist, with less time spent on being the sound engineer.
    Both sound like YOU. And that is GREAT!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Over my phone speakers, B sounded better. Without denigrating your playing in anyway, but I didn’t really like either. none captured the typical Martin sound, if you know what I mean.
    Did you use a pickup or a microphone?

Great playing though.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    Over my phone speakers, B sounded better. Without denigrating your playing in anyway, but I didn’t really like either. none captured the typical Martin sound, if you know what I mean.
    Did you use a pickup or a microphone?

Great playing though.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    Honestly, I don't know that I'll ever be capable of getting that typical Martin sound no matter what I do. I've played electric guitars for most of my life. I have a very light attack and I've reached the age where my hands are not nearly as strong as they once were, so I have the guitar both strung quite lightly plus I have it tuned down a full step to reduce the tension even further. But I am enjoying playing this guitar. I bought it about a month ago and I've put in a lot of time with it so maybe I'll get more of an acoustic sensibility over time.