User Info Menu

anyone here use one ?

Guitar ‘Mike’ har har

as opposed to the
    RC1100 and 1000 models

any thoughts ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

They're excellent, had one on my old Kay archtop. I noticed a few years back the wire connection at the control box was frayed, so I took it off, need to get it fixed one of these days.

They're about as close as you can get to a Rhythm Chief at a fraction of the price.

User Info Menu

I've got a '48 FHC on a modern Trenier Jazz Special, a laminate 16" archtop. It's a classic sound but like many vintage pickups, the sound can very wildly. Mine had had a re-wind at some point in its life and was wound very hot at 9.5k, which in combination with a loose coil, made it microphonic.

I sent it to Nick Fryer of Fryer Pickups in Cincinatti in the US, who's one of the few people I've found who really know these pickups. He rewound it to 8k and tightened everything up. Now it sounds great.
    I'm running mine with just a 1k volume pot. At some point in the future I will add a tone pot.

dearmond FH-C Guitar Mike-bfc97ad1-e09b-4493-a910-7dc74add46d2-jpg
    Last edited by David B; 12-19-2023 at 03:04 PM.

User Info Menu

I actually prefer them to Rhythm Chiefs. I use one on a 50s L5, and it’s one of my favorite electric tones.

dearmond FH-C Guitar Mike-img_4195-jpg

User Info Menu

My favorite pickup ever is a Dearmond fhc. They don’t all sound the same. Some of them sound muffled and wooly, some of them sound honky, some of them sound bright. The one on my dangelico has the most perfect balance of clarity and fullness of any pickup I have ever played.

User Info Menu

Saw one in a mixed box of junk at a guitar show in September, $200 obo. Should have gotten it for my Loar LH-700.

User Info Menu

I also have an FHC pickup on a Trenier Jazz Special that was built as an acoustic. The sound is clear, notes sustain a long time, there is no heavy muddy bass. I can have the tone control all the way up on the guitar and the tone still isn't too bright.

I had a Rhythm Chief 1100 installed on a D'Angelico EXL-1 years ago. It was better than the stock Armstrong "Jazzy Joe" floating pickup. I think the FHC has a different sound, it's hard to describe.

Quote Originally Posted by David B;[URL="tel:1304782"
    1304782[/URL]]I've got a '48 FHC on a modern Trenier Jazz Special, a laminate 16" archtop. It's a classic sound but like many vintage pickups, the sound can very wildly. Mine had had a re-wind at some point in its life and was wound very hot at 9.5k, which in combination with a loose coil, made it microphonic.

I sent it to Nick Fryer of Fryer Pickups in Cincinatti in the US, who's one of the few people I've found who really know these pickups. He rewound it to 8k and tightened everything up. Now it sounds great.
    I'm running mine with just a 1k volume pot. At some point in the future I will add a tone pot.

thanks for the info everyone
    interesting ….
    i saw one for sale that had a dc resistance of 10.5 Kohms

shame Guild or whoever don’t make a repro one ….

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    I've got a '48 FHC on a modern Trenier Jazz Special, a laminate 16" archtop. It's a classic sound but like many vintage pickups, the sound can very wildly. Mine had had a re-wind at some point in its life and was wound very hot at 9.5k, which in combination with a loose coil, made it microphonic.

Beautiful! We’d love to hear it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrregent
    I also have an FHC pickup on a Trenier Jazz Special that was built as an acoustic. The sound is clear, notes sustain a long time, there is no heavy muddy bass. I can have the tone control all the way up on the guitar and the tone still isn't too bright.

I had a Rhythm Chief 1100 installed on a D'Angelico EXL-1 years ago. It was better than the stock Armstrong "Jazzy Joe" floating pickup. I think the FHC has a different sound, it's hard to describe.
    Yeah that is a real special one! So harmonically rich.

User Info Menu

Here's one on my L7. Sorry for spamming with my own playing, but I'm enthusiastic about these pickups.

Finally, here's the master. My inspiration for using an FHC.

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos;[URL="tel:1304839"
    1304839[/URL]]Here's one on my L7. Sorry for spamming with my own playing, but I'm enthusiastic about these pickups.

Finally, here's the master. My inspiration for using an FHC.

don’t worry omph ,you’re playing and
    the L7/FHC all sound great !

I love this style of music
    is it just called ‘swing’ ?

anyway , love it !

User Info Menu

Ha! Thank you! I dunno what to call it. It’s mostly pretty mainstream jazz borrowing from a lot of traditions including bebop, but swing and soul jazz are probably the two biggest influences.