The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Suggestions?

I had an SD Jazz in a basswood Strat once. Sounded great.

Thinking about replacing the neck pup in my MIM Tele.
    Last edited by Bach5G; 12-17-2023 at 11:21 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There are so many options. My personal preference is something low output to blend well with a standard Tele bridge pickup. I recently put a 70's Gibson T-Top in the neck position of my Telecaster and am very happy with the results.

User Info Menu

I'd do a humbucker sized P-90!

User Info Menu

If you have a mini humbucker mount the lollar Johnny smith makes for an amazing tele neck pickup.

User Info Menu

Agreed with either Mini Humbucker or lower output PAF type 7 to 7.5k range output.

User Info Menu

It depends on the sound you’re after. If you’re going to frequently use the bridge pickup then a lower output neck pup makes sense. If not, then choose what you like. A lot of the well-known Tele jazz tones out there are based on older Gibson PAF’s. Something like a Lollar Imperial has more clarity and a more open and even response. It’s worth checking out sound samples on the websites of brands like Seymour Duncan, Lollar, etc.

User Info Menu

I have a thinline tele with a Fralin mini humbucker in the neck that sounds great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar67
    It depends on the sound you’re after. If you’re going to frequently use the bridge pickup then a lower output neck pup makes sense. If not, then choose what you like.
    This. You might want to be more specific or you're going to get a bunch of random suggestions. Break it down by what pickup construction type first and then what tone you like from that. My favorite is a SD 59 with A2 because I like fat and syrup-y.

User Info Menu

I like SD 59s in Fender style guitars. I'm sure plenty of ofther models would do as well

Fender had a model for a while,Hot Rod something or other, which came with a firebird neck pickup. That soounded really really nice as well. Brighter and not as bassy, but that's not necessarily a bad thing for a balanced sound

User Info Menu

I have a Bare Knuckles Stormy Monday in the neck of my Eastman AR371. I'm very happy with it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

My two recommendations are:

1. Seymour Duncan "Phat Cat" humbucker-sized P90

2. Seymour Duncan "Seth Lover"
    Last edited by Gitfiddler; 12-18-2023 at 01:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Is a regular Tele neck pickup not suitable for Jazz?
    My 80s Am. Std has a SD A2 Pro tele neck pickup.

User Info Menu

Another thought is to have a 4 conductor wire pickup.That way you can split the coil or run it parallel or series. Any great choices already mentioned. I say buy used here or on TGP Forums, and save some money!

User Info Menu

i was pointed at Fleor pickups
    by Littlejay (thanks man)
    and i got a Fleor alnico 2 Humbucker
    from ebay for my tele neck posn

I’m pleased with it ….
    (its not boutique but it is cheap
    and sounds good to my ears)