The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey guys I bought a Godin kingpin ii recently which I absolutely love....but the g string is sounding dead, as in it doesn't sustain as well as the others. Is this a common problem? There seems to be plenty of clearance above the frets. Also there's seems to be this ringing overtone, particularly when I play the string open. But as it's also there when fretting I doubt it's the nut. I think it may be coming from the tailpiece but it's hard to be sure! I've tried tightening all the screws...

Is this just something you have to put up with on archtop? Would be it a little drastic sending this one back assuming it's a dud? Open to suggestions as I really like this guitar....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Try a new G string before you do anything more drastic.

User Info Menu

Mine had the metallic pinging, changed the bridge to rosewood, problem solved.

Wound or plain G? Definitely try a new string first.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Mine had the metallic pinging, changed the bridge to rosewood, problem solved.

Wound or plain G? Definitely try a new string first.
    Hopefully it is just a case of swapping the string lol. I will try that tomorrow. Then failing that, a new bridge (any specific brand you'd recommend?). I'm using a plain g. Not a fan of wound as I like to bend alot, even on an archtop.

Edit: been discussing with Mr Beaumont over pm re; using a tunomatic instead

Planning a little ahead here incase the string swap doesn't work....how's this bridge?

Might need to get a 16" sanding block as I'm having trouble finding a drop in replacement.... Any pointers?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alnicov-Arc...ps%2C73&sr=8-4
    Last edited by Frank1985; 12-18-2023 at 03:25 PM.

[QUOTE=Frank1985;1304441]Edit: been discussing with Mr Beaumont over pm re; using a tunomatic instead

Planning a little ahead here incase the string swap doesn't work....how's this bridge?

Might need to get a 16" sanding block as I'm having trouble finding a drop in replacement.... Any pointers?

[url]https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alnicov-Archtop-Guitar-Rosewood-Adjustable/dp/B08LVJ

Godin sells a tune-o-matic bridge for the 5th avenue on their website, part number 378807

https://godinguitars.com/product-category/parts/bridges

Hmmmm. Changed the string, changed the saddle, still no luck. Best way I can describe the sound is a 'thonk', where the notes do not decay like the others. This gets worse the further up the neck I fret. Action is fine. Raised the nut slot slightly with some paper to rule out low action at the nut. 12th action is 2.mm. It could be a poorly designed tailpiece where the ball end vibrates against the chrome......
    Last edited by Frank1985; 12-20-2023 at 09:24 PM.

Wound G solved it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frank1985
    Wound G solved it.
    I figured it would...