The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

I had an opportunity to play in a blues duo which made me start hunting for a hollow body. After reading some recommendations and after trying one in a local shop in Europe, I pulled the trigger and bought one (2016 model). Very good guitar, the best finish/fretwork I've ever seen (apart from a wobbly knobs and pickup selector), round and warm sound, lots of versatility with the splitable pickups. I chose it after comparing it to Tokai ES 180, Sire Larry Carlton and Ibanez (cheaper). It is not a "clone" of Gibson ES 335, it has its own character, for those looking for a Gibson sound, the Yamaha could seem a little too clean, it lacks the grain and the bite typical of the Gibson. It is perhaps better for a modern (fusion) and jazz sound than the sound typical blues sound. That being said, I played it in blues and it sounded very, very good and for a clean jazz tone it is pure heaven (see Bireli Lagrene). I especially appreciated the sound of the neck pickup, which I preferred to the sound of the ES 335s that I was able to test. I found the bridge pickup sound slightly icy (ice picky), slightly glassy.

After some month I stumbled upon a Yamaha 1200S from 1980 which has a solid spruce top (you can see the grains in the f-holes cut, but I don't know if it is carved or pressed). I found this guitar more resonant, even more warm and maybe it is just psychoacoustics, but I seem to hear that little bright sparkle in the sound that one associates with a solid spruce top. The character of the two guitars us quite similar, but I prefered the 1200S and I sold the SA2200.

Before selling it I made a small sound comparison of these two japaneese "super axes" by Yamaha:
    - Yamaha SA2200 (2016) - laminate maple top, stock alnico V pickups
    - Yamaha SA1200S (1980) - solid spruce top,
    stock alnico II (allegedly) pickups
    - Yamaha SA2200 uses spruce kerfing, there is NO KERFING inside the Yamaha SA1200S (photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Pbx8jfyjRheNEjdu7 )

- All knobs on 10 (apart from a short moment at the end of the sample 2)
    - same pickup height
    - direct recording through Fractal FM3 (Princetone Reverb preset).

Both are really nice guitars, sorry for sloppy playing. Which one do you prefer?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Subjective of course, but for jazz I like the spruce S. The maple lam is probably a better overall guitar for different styles.

User Info Menu

Spruce will sound spongier for lack of a better term. Laminate is probably a harder or more immediate attack. Solid top would be the the hardest and immediate sounding from my experience with many different guitars over the years.
    Again a lot depends on solid block vs hollow, etc.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your feedback, yes, the Yamaha SA1200S sounds absolutely great for jazz, very warm, very lively. It is a very competent guitar also in other styles like blues, but maybe not as aggressive and bity as a laminate guitar.
    Anyway, can you hear a difference on the recording or am I just making things up?

User Info Menu

They sound almost exactly the same to me. The 2200 might be a tiny bit warmer and louder, but in a blind test I’d probably think they’re the same guitar. Maybe in the room they really do sound more different and the recording plus YouTube compression is masking that, but I’m not sure I can tell any difference between the two guitars (listening on a decent powered speaker).

Given that they’re both semi-hollow guitars made out of laminated woods, I don’t think the species used in the top makes a lot of difference in the electric sound. FWIW, I have a semi-hollow with a lam spruce top. Unplugged it does sound different from a 335 (louder and more "acoustic"), but plugged in not really.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Given that they’re both semi-hollow guitars made out of laminated woods, I don’t think the species used in the top makes a lot of difference in the electric sound. FWIW, I have a semi-hollow with a lam spruce top. Unplugged it does sound different from a 335 (louder and more "acoustic"), but plugged in not really.
    Thank you very much for your feedback, yes, the difference is small in the recording, although it is more pronounced when you play the instrument. Just to clarify, the top on the Yamaha SA1200S is a solid spruce top. You can see the grain of the wood in the f-hole (sunburst: SA2200, red: SA1200S. Not the best photos, but it is more visible in SA1200S models in sunburst, that you can find online):
    Solid spruce top on a semi-hollow: Yamaha SA2200 vs SA1200S-20231118_150002-jpgSolid spruce top on a semi-hollow: Yamaha SA2200 vs SA1200S-20231118_150141-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomassplatch
    Thank you very much for your feedback, yes, the difference is small in the recording, although it is more pronounced when you play the instrument. Just to clarify, the top on the Yamaha SA1200S is a solid spruce top. You can see the grain of the wood in the f-hole (sunburst: SA2200, red: SA1200S. Not the best photos, but it is more visible in SA1200S models in sunburst, that you can find online):
    I'll take your word for it, but I still don't think the species of the top makes much difference in semi-hollows.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I'll take your word for it, but I still don't think the species of the top makes much difference in semi-hollows.
    Agree. Once you're plugged in and on stage with a band it means jack.

User Info Menu

I prefer the brighter attack of the SA2200 for the bluesy example you played. I suppose with flatwounds, the SA1200S might be preferable for that jazz tone.

Horses for courses.

User Info Menu

I have a TI Swing 13-56 set on my SA2200, its neck pickup tone is pretty close in warmth and attack to that of my Epiphone ES-175 with Classic 57 pickups and the same TI string set. It has a bit more sustain and does not feed back like the ES-175 sometimes does.