The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

It’s my pleasure to introduce a new player to the field. I just received this new instrument from luthier Tom Ribbecke, which he calls the Compliant Rim 15” Time Machine. There’s a ton of info about this on Tom’s FB page, but the main thing is that he’s devised a way to build the top with grain oriented woods that allow the top to move more freely, like the way a speaker cone has a soft material for its perimeter to free up the stiffer materials of the main driver to move. I’m very pleased with whatever it’s doing and look forward to ongoing exploration of her voice.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thank you Mark.

User Info Menu

I wish that I had some of your technique! The guitar is interesting and sounds great!
    Last edited by skykomishone; 12-15-2023 at 01:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Mark, seriously. That was some of the finest playing I’ve ever heard.
    If that doesn’t sell these guitars, nothing will.
    I’ve always wanted a Ribbecke and I’ve always wanted to play just like that.
    Man, it must be good to be you.
    Beautiful stuff. And once I figure it out, I will be stealing some of your editing tricks, particularly from 2:56 on. Incredible.
    You got it all going at the same time. Thanks for sharing.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Mark, that sounds great. Which amp are you using? Thanks!

User Info Menu

Incredibly beautiful!

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I appreciate the privilege I enjoy to own this luthiery masterpiece. Thank you for letting me share the sounds and sites here.

User Info Menu

Is that smaller than the Halfling? It looks like 15" or 16", the Halfling looks bigger in your other videos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Is that smaller than the Halfling? It looks like 15" or 16", the Halfling looks bigger in your other videos.
    you're correct -it’s 15”. The Halfling is 17”. Takes a little getting used to

User Info Menu

Seems to me it's not taking a lot of getting used to. I really enjoyed your playing. There's some different flavour here.

Is it also shallower? I wonder what the acoustic differences might be in the room between this and the larger ones. Very interesting wood work and a lovely instrument.

Thanks for supporting a builder who wants to try something different. Is this the first or has he done a few?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Seems to me it's not taking a lot of getting used to. I really enjoyed your playing. There's some different flavour here.

Is it also shallower? I wonder what the acoustic differences might be in the room between this and the larger ones. Very interesting wood work and a lovely instrument.

Thanks for supporting a builder who wants to try something different. Is this the first or has he done a few?
    maybe a couple dozen total and at least half of those are bass guitars. It’s a little shallower but not thin and the acoustic voice is a little subdued compared to my 17” Halfling, though that one has had a decade and a half of breaking in.

User Info Menu

yes the new guitar
    makes a very clean true sound

that was very lovely
    was it based on a standard Mark ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    yes the new guitar
    makes a very clean true sound

that was very lovely
    was it based on a standard Mark ?
    This was just freeform improv. Thanks !

User Info Menu

I am not crazy about the two-tone look but, man, does she sound angelic! You elicit great tones from her. It reminds me of Ken Parker's Archtop in tonality. Sounds like a great classical guitar-she is about the size of a large classical guitar. I bet JS Bach sounds great on her.

We need to hear more from this guitar in your capable hands, Mark.

And congratulations are in order.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I am not crazy about the two-tone look but, man, does she sound angelic! You elicit great tones from her. It reminds me of Ken Parker's Archtop in tonality. Sounds like a great classical guitar-she is about the size of a large classical guitar. I bet JS Bach sounds great on her.

We need to hear more from this guitar in your capable hands, Mark.

And congratulations are in order.
    thanks Jeff! I kinda like the two tone effect as it’s a result of two different wood species joined to make the top. Looking closely you can see each of the perimeter pieces took the stains slightly differently too, so it’s a bit multi-culti. If it were a cosmetic trick I’d probably hate it, but since it reflects the very essence of this instrument’s construction I dig it. Anyway, you can bet more videos are coming soonRibbecke Compliant Rim (1st demo)-img_9077-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    the acoustic voice is a little subdued compared to my 17” Halfling.
    Any chance of hearing that voice, because that's where the design should have the biggest impact?!

(I never heard of a 15" classical guitar intended for standard tuning!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    This was just freeform improv. Thanks !
    Your playing is etherical. The filming makes you and your new instrument look and feel like one, and sound like one, how is it possible you are not used to it?!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Mark, that sounds great. Which amp are you using? Thanks!
    I record using a roland microcube bass RX low volume into a very close stereo microphone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 0zoro
    Your playing is etherical. The filming makes you and your new instrument look and feel like one, and sound like one, how is it possible you are not used to it?!
    . I’ve only had it a few days now but playing it as much as my old fingers can manage

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Any chance of hearing that voice, because that's where the design should have the biggest impact?!

(I never heard of a 15" classical guitar intended for standard tuning!)
    Here’s the 17 Halfling from last week.

User Info Menu

That’s one helluva guitar. You sound like you, but there’s *more* you. Like it’s a conduit. Did you feel like it made you play better or am I imagining it? For an archtop it sounds incredibly angelic, detailed and 3D. And what it conjured out of you is special IMHO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar67
    That’s one helluva guitar. You sound like you, but there’s *more* you. Like it’s a conduit. Did you feel like it made you play better or am I imagining it? For an archtop it sounds incredibly angelic, detailed and 3D. And what it conjured out of you is special IMHO.
    Thanks, it’s an inspiring to play this guitar so maybe it is firing up the juices a bit more than usual.