The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am in possession of a 1948 vintage Gibson L5 with a period DeArmond pickup. What strings should I use? I've been told flat wound and I've been told round wound. Thoughts?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Strings are cheap. Just buy both and see what you like.

I would prefer Thomastik Infeld
    Guitar Strings Jazz Guitar | Products | Thomastik-Infeld Vienna

User Info Menu

If you plan on using it as an acoustic, flat wounds are not going to do that guitar any favors. If you’re only going to be plugging in, then flats or rounds will be ok, depending on your own personal preferences.

User Info Menu

For acoustic archtops with floating pickups, I'm a fan of monel strings, which were the predominate acoustic string back in the 30s and 40s. They fell out of favor because bronze strings were louder, but the monel has such a sweet tone. These are a roundwound acoustic string that's primarily nickel (so it looks like an electric string). And unlike bronze, it works very well with traditional magnetic pickups. Sort of a "best of both worlds". The Martin Retro series is one of the few modern monel strings.

Flatwounds are nice too and will give a different tone. But if you want to go round, go monel.

User Info Menu

Depends on what type of music and in which style of music you intend to use it for. Customxke is spot on. Small setting mainly acoustic calls for the round wounds that bring out the best of the acoustic tones of your L5. Finger noise will be there for sure, but the best, most lovely, acoustic tone of your guitar will be heard in the room. Will you play in a loud, most amplified setting, use flatwounds. very little to none acoustic sound will be heard, playability will be at the max. Of course there are many exception situations... BTW I have not yet come across a guitar that is capable of playing acoustic only ie unamplified, in a loud bigband. Some will say they can, I tried with several high end solid guitars, but never was succesfull.

User Info Menu

Up to you. I think you should use roundwounds on an ax like that. Dearmond Pickups were made to be used with bronze strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hotpepper01
    Depends on what type of music and in which style of music you intend to use it for. Customxke is spot on. Small setting mainly acoustic calls for the round wounds that bring out the best of the acoustic tones of your L5. Finger noise will be there for sure, but the best, most lovely, acoustic tone of your guitar will be heard in the room. Will you play in a loud, most amplified setting, use flatwounds. very little to none acoustic sound will be heard, playability will be at the max. Of course there are many exception situations... BTW I have not yet come across a guitar that is capable of playing acoustic only ie unamplified, in a loud bigband. Some will say they can, I tried with several high end solid guitars, but never was succesfull.
    My 37 New Yorker can easily be played acoustic in a big band. I have not specifically done that in the many years I have owned it but easily the rhythm section would hear the guitar and that is what is required for the Freddie Green thing. In fact, I have other guitars that would meet this too. The D'a if you push it will simply respond and go, it will not break up or get choked up like some if you really drive them. Also, play a Stromberg Master 400 if you ever get a chance. They are so loud and pulsing that they are really only sound great for rhythm and not so good chordy melody. Check out Chuck therhythmman he will get you where you want.

For acoustic big band guitar, you do have to raise the action a bit more and using heavier strings helps but no necessary. Raising the action to say 7/64 and 5/64 this on the e strings 12th fret will make a huge difference. Although a responsive carved archtop does not really need that high of action.

Well i opted for thomastik-infeld jazz swing flatwoundsl 12s over the round wounds because...for one i dont want to have to pay for a setup and two my sales guy at sweetwater recommended flatwounds. Might try round wounds at some other time

User Info Menu

The guy at Sweetwater?? When you have the real experts here to guide you?
    round wound 80/20 bronze or monel. Light set wound strings with medium gauge high e and b strings.