The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hi I just got a matrix vb800 and it has two outputs and a DI out. I have one output into my unpowered cab but wondered if I could plug into my blues deluxe reissue 40 watt combo. None of my pedals have stereo out so wondered if I could use either output B or the DI into the blues deluxe. If its not possible then ill just have to buy another reverb but one that has a stereo out but just wondered if anyone might know. cheers and many thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The DI-out is usually a lineout - you should be able to send the signal to your amplifier like you would do with a preamp. However, I don't know the exact type of equipment you are using so you may want to test it at some cheaper line-in system.

User Info Menu

Your signal will be the wrong impedance and will be too hot to hit the front end of the other amp. All you will get is distortion. There is a device called a Reamper that will convert a line level signal to instrument level. Radial makes a good passive one. With this device you can do what you’re describing with the DI out.

User Info Menu

You can try the loop send into your Deluxe. Start with minimum level for the send, and see if you can adjust it to get a reasonable signal going to the Deluxe.
    Do not use any of the speaker outs!

User Info Menu

The other thing you can do assuming you have the right total impedance for the amp is plug the speaker of the second amp into second output of the first amp. But definitely don’t send that second output into the front end of another amp, you will destroy it.

User Info Menu

The simple way is bridging the inputs - plug your guitar into one of the first amp's inputs and run a second instrument cable from the remaining free input to an input of the other second amp. This is the same as using stereo pedal outputs or using a "Y" adapter to connect the guitar signal to the inputs of two amps.

If there is any reservation or uncertainty about bridging both inputs of the 800, put the instrument cable into the Fender and bridge its free input to the input of the 800.

Can I use DI out into another amp?-plugs-jpg

Hi
    Thanks so much for the advice I think ill just get a second reverb that has stereo outs just to be safe. The matrix vb800 does have a send level that can be adjusted but I think ill play it safe. Ive seen a used Nanoverb that Jonathan Kreisberg uses for £25 so ill go with that. Thanks all for your time and knowledge cheers

Didn't know that thanks very much for the info ill give it a go. Im guessing if I try. it at a low volume it should be ok

User Info Menu

I don't know the Matrix VB800, but in general:

- if "output B" is intended to power speakers, plugging that into the input of another amp risks causing serious damage to both and is a bad idea.
    - if "output B" is "line level" (intended to be plugged into the line-level input of a something like a mixer or interface), yes you can plug it into another amp, but it'll likely be distorted (in a bad way).
    - DI out can be plugged into the other amp's input, but there will be an impedance mismatch and it might not sound good.

None of the above will really give you a stereo sound; it'll just be louder with the two sounds blending more or less into one (unless they're spread pretty far apart).. For that you need at least a stereo reverb, and to have it sound truly "spatial", combine reverb with chorus and/or stereo delay.

Again, I don't know this amp (and don't know a Blues Deluxe all that well), but you might be able to "jumper" the two amps together by plugging the guitar into the BD, then running a cable from the BD's second input to the other amp (or vice versa if the vb800 has inputs laid out like a real Marshall). That works with some (but not all) Fenders and
    Marshalls (depending on the specific input circuit design). If it does work, it'll probably sound better than the DI or line level out from the other amp, but also won't really give you a stereo effect. If it doesn't work, no harm no foul; it just doesn't work.

Thanks everyone your time and comments are much appreciated. Im going to go for a stereo reverb thanks again

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Langvarig
    The DI-out is usually a lineout - you should be able to send the signal to your amplifier like you would do with a preamp. However, I don't know the exact type of equipment you are using so you may want to test it at some cheaper line-in system.
    A true “DI” box converts an unbalanced high impedance instrument level signal into a balanced low impedance mic level signal. Here’s the Radial page that explains them and their use.

Radial makes some of the best and most popular DI boxes in use today.

User Info Menu

If your reverb has a line/instrument switch on the input using the Line out is fine.

Hi
    My second amp arrived today, its a fender blues deluxe reissue. I love it, its so loud but stays really clean if I use the second input. I can turn the drive off and have the volume up around 4 and just use the master volume to control the level. I noticed it has a power amp in socket. It says you can run pre amp out on the primary amp into the power amp in on the deluxe.
    The manual on the vb800 says the effects send is also a pre amp out as well as a di out so im thinking I can connect the two this way. I sure hope I don't fry anything, but ill let you know how it goes, wish me luck