The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Greetings!

I recently acquired a great Hiscox case for my $5k dreadnought. I'm looking for a new case for my L5 that may be lighter than the standard plywood cases (which seem to run ~$250). Thermal and impact protection being a bonus. NOT for shipping, just safe storage and transportation. Hiscox and Gator don't appear to make anything for an L5. Has anyone found any good alternatives? Thanks- RB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of the Mono Vertigo line of gig bags. They're solid and protective, but they're light and easy to carry as well. I have one for my 16" archtops and one for my jumbo flattop. I keep my 17" Eastman 810CE7 archtop in its OHSC, but I'm going to pick up a Mono Classic Jumbo Acoustic for it the next time I see a sale on them. I've been considering it for a long time, but I gig with one of my 16s or my Tele, so there's been no pressing need for it. My Monos still look like new inside and out after over 200 gigs in about 2 years.

The reason I'm ready now is that the Mono bags turn out to be better sealed than my hard cases. I keep two Boveda humidipaks in each case. One goes under the headstock and the other goes in the little well between the heel and the case pocket (if it has one) or in an F-hole inside one of the D'Addario permeable pouches suspended by a small plastic rod. The flattop gets one in a pouch in the soundhole (suspended between the strings). Since I've been keeping the flattop in the Mono, the packs' gel filler has stayed liquid for months. But I have to rotate and rehydrate the packs in the OSHCs in which my 16s live every month or two once the heat is on. And it's not just the case sucking up the moisture. These have all been humidified since new, and the cases were conditioned (empty, when new) with multiple "restore" packs until a hygrometer said they were stable at about 40%.

The other bonus with the Vertigo bags that open standing up is that they're easier to keep in a closet. They stand very well on the rubber "foot" that covers the entire bottom of the case (where the end pin lives). So I can line them up and take any of them out easily. AFAIK, the only one they make that takes a 17" lower bout is the Classic bag, which opens like any other case and has a smaller heel than the Vertigo. It's a great bag. The jumbo acoustic bag fits an SJ200, which has the same body size as an L-5. And it's 5" dep inside, so I think there's room for the arch and the bridge.

Before I bought Monos for my other guitars, I called them to confirm that I was getting the right bag for the right guitar. It turns out that the semi-hollow is the right size for my thin 16" Eastman Jazz Elite - the dread bag is too deep. So if this sounds like a good idea, give them a call to confirm that the jumbo bag is right for your L-5.

User Info Menu

Occasionally the 17” fiberglass Eastman cases can be found for a reasonable price. A quick search didn’t show any available now at the usual online resources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

The Hiscox "Jumbo Style Guitar Hard Case" is an excellent fit for a 17" Gibson L-5.

It comes in two "grades" - the "Pro II" and the "Artist", and either grade is offered with a "steal me" ivory exterior colour, or less attention-grabbing black exterior colour. The Artist upgrades include:
    -leather hinged handle vs. plastic handle on the Pro II (I prefer the plastic handle);
    -thicker exterior shell (provides more puncture resistance, makes it a bit heavier);
    -larger latches;
    -free shoulder strap;
    -fully hardened aluminum rims;
    -more interior padding.

If, as mentioned, you are using it "not for shipping, just safe storage and transportation," then the Pro II case is already more than you need, and the Artist case is complete overkill. Over the years, I've used both styles of case with a variety of Gibson 17" archtop guitars with no fit issues. And excellent value, IMO.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 12-10-2023 at 05:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Occasionally the 17” fiberglass Eastman cases can be found for a reasonable price. A quick search didn’t show any available now at the usual online resources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was lucky to get one with a slightly arched top*, it has been my preferred case for gigging for the past ten years or more. It's a little tight for an L5 but works okay for my 2003L5CES, but better for the 1970CES as this has the bridge set a little lower. I tried to get a second case, but nobody imports this into Europe anymore and Eastman would charge $800 for shipping.

*17" cases with a flat top are also on the market. CAGT-17A would be with an arched lid.
    http://www.jw-eastman.com/uploads/im...2618_32167.png

User Info Menu

The Gator GL series Jumbo Acoustic case properly fit my L-5CES. It seems to be still available from various sellers.
    Attached Images Attached Images Case alternatives for an L-5-img_4603-jpeg 

User Info Menu

Visesnut Cases makes a Jumbo Guitar Case for the Gibson SJ200-style guitars. It should fit as well as the Hiscox. Visesnutcase : Jumbo guitar case Active series Dark Gray

User Info Menu

Just watch out when considering to buy a case from Jeff Hoffee. Unrealiable color samples and some of the features shown on the fotos of the cases are missing on the actual delivered product. Apart from this he is a most unpleasant person to deal with, who does not honour promises he made prior to the sale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I'm a big fan of the Mono Vertigo line of gig bags. They're solid and protective, but they're light and easy to carry as well. I have one for my 16" archtops and one for my jumbo flattop. I keep my 17" Eastman 810CE7 archtop in its OHSC, but I'm going to pick up a Mono Classic Jumbo Acoustic for it the next time I see a sale on them.
    A funny thing happened on my way to the forum. I stopped off at the MF website and found an "open box" Mono Jumbo bag with an extra 15% off for the holiday - so I bought it for my 17" archtop. It'll be here tomorrow. It's not a Vertigo because they don't make a 17" Vertigo - so it opens the usual way. But it's a great bag, so I may even take the 17 to a gig or two now that I have a good bag to carry it.

I'll probably still store the guitar in its OHSC because Mono Classic bags don't have as broad and thick a sole as the Vertigos do. So i suspect that it won't be as stable standing on end, even between the 2 Vertigos that hold my 16" flattop and my 16" archtops. But we'll soon find out......

User Info Menu

Just because it might be helpful for someone:
    I've been using this foam-case to transport my Eastman for several years.

https://www.amazon.de/GATOR-Cases-GL.../dp/B000LPOSDY

I think the eastman is identical to an L5 concerning the dimensions.
    It's been through a lot of time on the road and a use, crammed into the back of tour buses etc and so far it's been really reliable.

Paul

EDIT: fixed the broken link
    Last edited by Webby; 12-20-2023 at 10:21 AM.