The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

Hello!
    I bought a WGS 8" alnico speaker last year and the magnet on it had obviously slipped. UralTone, where I bought it from, was so helpful that they immediately (the same day I reported the problem!) sent me another one, which has been working wonderfully ever since. Now I just ordered a Jupiter 12LA (also made by WGS) from Tube-Town, which I had to wait months for, because it was out of stock. It finally arrived, but it's faulty, it distorts in the highs, high-mid register. Unfortunately, the Tube- Town's system is such that even I have written through the website, I do not receive a confirmation e-mail that my complain has been received. My question is: has anyone else experienced a deterioration in quality with WGS/Jupiter speakers or am I just unlucky (two times)? Tube-Town – Dirt who runs it – is reliable, expect to take action? I'm interested in specific experiences. Many thanks in advance!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, I have both WGS and Jupiter speakers, and have had no problems, but they are a few years old. I bought them both from TubeTown - I’ve been a customer for a very long time.

Dirk is a straight-ahead, honest guy; he’s always provided top service. I can’t imagine he would do wrong by you.

Steven

User Info Menu

Hi PAG,
    Did you try also the email adress
    info@tube-town.de ?

Same as said by Stevo, I know tube-town as a very reliable company. I am dealing with tube-town since years without any problems.

User Info Menu

Thank you both! Yes, I also have older WGS and Jupiter speakers, which I had no problems with at all. That's why I asked if this could be a new trend...

As for Tube-Town, I wrote again and luckily I got an answer now! They are asking me for more tests, but this is completely normal before replacing the speaker. I hope the matter is resolved before the Christmas postal craziness!

User Info Menu

WGS (and Jupiter, Fat Jimmy) are highly regarded speakers, so your experiences are unfortunate and unusual! I've never purchased them through a retailer, though, and have always gone straight to the source, and I've never had a problem. My current 1x10 cabs both have Fat Jimmy speakers, and they're excellent!

I hope you get things worked out!

User Info Menu

Please read the question a bit more carefully. This was specifically for the new WGS and Jupiter speakers. Are the speakers you mentioned are new? Are you bought them in the last eight months? I did the double check what Tube-Town asked and I can say for sure that the Jupiter speaker I just bought is defective, as it was the WGS 8" one replaced not so long ago by UralTone! Still, it could really just be my bad luck...
    Again, I didn't ask for my money back (332 Eur), but for a flawless speaker. I only asked the question to see if others had similar experiences, so that I could make a good decision.
    Last edited by PAG; 12-08-2023 at 12:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes, my two FJs are "new." And I recently had a 2x8 cab with WGS speakers; no probs.

User Info Menu

Not referring to OP's brands I have no experience with. In general, smaller speaker manufacturers tend to have more variation between individual units. Too bad if this extends beyond QC tolerances. QC is so important. I've installed over 50 Celestion bass speakers - never a problem. Over 400 Jensen 6.5", 10" and 12" speakers - all good. Nearly 200 SICA 6.5 Neo speakers - less than five lemons. (Too many knowing they run an automated test procedure for each unit before boxing.) I don't know how other cab makers go about this, but I actually enjoy firing up a new cab and putting it through its paces. Against several hours of making and ahead of 1-2 hours of packaging and shipping, these are a few minutes of fulfillment.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 12-08-2023 at 04:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Very interesting, thanks for sharing it with me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote61
    Hi PAG,
    Did you try also the email adress
    info@tube-town.de ?

Same as said by Stevo, I know tube-town as a very reliable company. I am dealing with tube-town since years without any problems.
    Dear Bluenote61 and Steve,

I have also ordered several times from Tube-Town and they delivered accurately and quickly (a Jupiter 12LC among others, which I've been using ever since and I like it). But have you ever received a faulty product that had to be replaced?! If so, please write exactly which product(s) and when it happened. I have now proved with recordings and photos that the Jupiter 12 LA I received is defective, despite this, they were not cooperative at all. For this reason, I revoked my purchase, even though I would need the speaker (I've been waiting for it to be available in Europe for several months!). Their procedure has been a nightmare so far! Since it is written in their business regulations that a reduced amount will be refunded if there is any damage on the item, I documented the entire packaging and the speaker itself with photos. I have been a professional musician for over 30 years, this is my job and I have a DLA music degree, but I have never had such a disappointing experience! When the process is over, I will write the final result, and if necessary, I will be happy to share the entire correspondence. Everyone can decide what to think about it...
    Last edited by PAG; 12-13-2023 at 06:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear that. I believe that this is annoying for you. I also had a case with a defect in a tube-town box, which was remedied from tube-town in short time. But if I remember correctly, the communication with TT was not the best, however the remedy action was quick and smooth.

User Info Menu

Thank you for your kind words! Yes, it's annoying. I'm glad to hear that despite the lack of good communication, your problem was quickly solved. Maybe it will be easier for me as well from here on. I hope...

User Info Menu

While I feel your pain in this situation, and I don't doubt that you have received defective merchandise, I would caution you about posting a heading like this: "Jupiter/WGS: Poor Quality?" on a public forum, because it immediately, and even maybe subconsciously, creates a bias against a manufacturer that may or may not deserve it. Or at least creates doubt among what really is a very small market.

WGS is not one of the "big boy" speaker manufacturers. It is small and only has a few employees. They make custom speakers for Jupiter and Fat Jimmy, and probably others, in addition to the WGS branded product. It is certainly possible, as has been said, that they have a higher percentage of defective product because they are small: but we do not know that to be true.

It could possibly be the extended shipping to Europe that is the cause of the problem, but I wouldn't know. It might be a good idea to contact WGS directly and ldetail the problems you have had. And see if there is some kind of resolution or explanation that makes sense. And give them an opportunity to make things right.

Hopefully before slagging the company on a public forum. Just my opinion BTW, and FWIW I have several Fat Jimmy/WGS speakers that work perfectly. And sound great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    While I feel your pain in this situation, and I don't doubt that you have received defective merchandise, I would caution you about posting a heading like this: "Jupiter/WGS: Poor Quality?" on a public forum, because it immediately, and even maybe subconsciously, creates a bias against a manufacturer that may or may not deserve it. Or at least creates doubt among what really is a very small market.

WGS is not one of the "big boy" speaker manufacturers. It is small and only has a few employees. They make custom speakers for Jupiter and Fat Jimmy, and probably others, in addition to the WGS branded product. It is certainly possible, as has been said, that they have a higher percentage of defective product because they are small: but we do not know that to be true.

It could possibly be the extended shipping to Europe that is the cause of the problem, but I wouldn't know. It might be a good idea to contact WGS directly and ldetail the problems you have had. And see if there is some kind of resolution or explanation that makes sense. And give them an opportunity to make things right.

Hopefully before slagging the company on a public forum. Just my opinion BTW, and FWIW I have several Fat Jimmy/WGS speakers that work perfectly. And sound great.
    Yep, +100!

User Info Menu

Dear Bluejaybill, I totally agree! That's why I thought about delete the whole tread. The headline is intended a question, not a statement! Also, if you read the entire conversation, I pointed out in almost every of my posts that I'm currently using a Jupiter 12 Ceramic speaker in my BF Princeton, as well as a WGS Alnico in my SF Vibro Champ.

Experiences with WGS/Jupiter speakers?-img_4740-jpg

When WGS appeared on the market not so long ago and almost overnight became a listed manufacturer at the same level as, say, Celestion or Weber, the attractive thing about it was that it offered excellent speakers at a much more favourable price than the competitors. In contrast the Jupiter 12LA I bought is one of the most expensive speakers available at Tube-Town. Since I was about to ask for a replacement, I wanted to assess whether I was unlucky by buying two defective speakers one after the other (a WGS and a Jupiter Alnico).

I also agree that a tiny bit of internal damage, which can cause a rattle in the sound, could be the result of shipping! At the same time, in the other case – a WGS GA8, the fitting of the magnet had slipped during production, the error also visible at a glance. If someone looks beyond the heading (how else could I have addressed those who can provide valuable advice?) one can see that I'm not slagging the manufacturer at all! In addition, in this case I should be contact Jupiter rather than WGS, since this is not their product.
    Last edited by PAG; 12-18-2023 at 04:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi Marcwhy, If you know how to rewrite the heading, please write it, I'll be happy to reword it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PAG
    Hi Marcwhy, If you know how to rewrite the heading, please write it, I'll be happy to reword it.
    ??

I didn't comment on your title, although I agree with some of bluejay's thoughts.
    Maybe: "Experiences with WGS speakers?"

User Info Menu

Kindly ask to try to understand each other's answers. How to change the banner/heading in a post? Where is the interface where this can be done? I believe that I can reformulate a title I don't know this Forum well, I do not use it enough to implement this technically. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Hi All,

I wrote to Christopher at Jupiter and received the following reply, which I kindly recommend for your attention. Based on the audio samples I sent, he did not questioned for a moment that the item IS FAULTY:

"Sorry you got a buzzing speaker, probably dropped in shipping. Freight shipments don't get dropped so it was most likely parcel shipping. To me is sounds like voice coil rub, if the frame is slightly bent it can rub. It can be difficult to see the bend if its slight but you can hear the canted coil rubbing.

I hope this helps. The parcel should have been insured by the dealer, drops are shipping damage." –
    this is the quote.

I'm really looking forward to Tube-Town's action after this! I paid for the speaker back in November... But it is very sad that a German company behaves with its customers in such a way that I have to turn to such a forum for help.

User Info Menu

That's too bad! Hopefully they will get it sorted out for you soon.

User Info Menu

I've owned a large number of Jupiter Speakers but I have only ever purchased them direct. I had a WGS speaker that was damaged in transit and WGS replaced it within a week. Zero hassle.

It sounds to me like the issue you are having is with the distributor.

User Info Menu

Yes, Chris from Jupiter is very nice and helpful! Maybe - despite the fact that it's still in stock at Tube-Town - I will also order from the US, which is unfortunately much more expensive due to Hungarian customs regulations.

Yes, the speaker was probably damaged during the transit, although I don't know how to prove this. But one thing is for sure, the buyer cannot be held responsible for this!

The saga continues... Yesterday (within half an hour) I received two e-mails. In one, there was a promise to repay the amount. Of course, except for my postage, since I had to cancel the purchase, thus I had to pay for the return shipping! The other one was the same one that was sent on November 30 after my order. So that they sent the speaker to me! They don't answer the phone at all! No direct communication (Messenger, Facebook, etc...) is possible with Tube-Town. I don't know who has a good experience with all of this.
    Last edited by PAG; 12-19-2023 at 07:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Sounds like a lousy retailer.

User Info Menu

Juan do you still have your 12LA 50W? Not for sale by chance?
    Last edited by PAG; 12-19-2023 at 03:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi All, I got my money back today (at least almost the full amount, may it be less due to the conversion rate, plus since Tube-Town didn't take responsibility, so I had to revoke the purchase I payed for the return shipping). What is quite incredible, however, that the speaker I sent back - and which was unequivocally classified as defective by Jupiter - is available again at the webshop (4 piece instead of 3), so someone will buy it...
    Last edited by PAG; 12-19-2023 at 04:09 PM.